Solo female safety/security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmotorscooter

Reaction score
We know statistics show the lowest instances of violent crime happen on BLM land and national forests.

We assume criminals prefer populated areas for more opportunities.

Bob's videos have been absolutely instrumental for showing the possibilities and giving hope, encouragement and information.  His experience and philosophy have been an inspiration to the RV community.

That being said, there is a risk involved with showing many women traveling single and possibly being viewed as extremely vulnerable.

Do single women carry pepper spray, pack a firearm, have a big dog, or any other means of self defense?

I'm sure many camp with others, but are there any security protocols for neighbors to watch out for each other?

This thread is not to breed fear or cause a heated debate, rather to raise awareness to keep everyone safe and happy.

The most dangerous part of living in a vehicle is ... driving it. We have a much bigger chance of dying in a simple traffic accident than we have of being eaten by a bear or bitten by a snake or being dismembered by a serial killer or whatever else we want to worry about.

It has been my experience traveling many miles and alone the past 5+ years that this country is safe, using reasonable precautions and safeguards.

I have a dog, who can be fierce, but I don’t carry a gun or any other weapon.

Are reasonable precautions and safeguards paying attention to one's surroundings and good ole common sense?

Perhaps saying that you pack a firearm (even if you don't) would give an extra measure of security?

I would not camp alone away from other people in isolated areas, especially in a van or small RV. Guns are no good if you can't quickly get at them. I wouldn't want the inconvenience or responsibility of a dog. Dogs are easy to kill for anyone with the proper training, anyway. I prefer to be in a gated campground with full hookups, off in a quiet corner where I can socialize or not, as I choose. This may just be my own prejudice. I know other women don't think that way.

That’s a whole different kind of traveling than most folks here do, jeanmarie. :)

I don’t go miles and miles off the beaten path by myself, but have frequently been the only person in a NF campground.

Never had an incident, nor even close.

Once locked inside, should I feel unsafe I can step to the front of my ClassB and drive away.

WanderingRose said:
That’s a whole different kind of traveling than most folks here do, jeanmarie. :)

I don’t go miles and miles off the beaten path by myself, but have frequently been the only person in a NF campground.

Never had an incident, nor even close.

Once locked inside, should I feel unsafe I can step to the front of my ClassB and drive away.

With hubby around, I don't mind isolation. But unlike you, we have had issues with strangers in remotes areas. We have had things stolen. We have had people lurking around our site. We had a creepy looking man knocking on our door - and trying the handle - in the middle of the night " just to see if we were alright." We have had people park right on top of us and get roaring drunk and start fighting. I prefer a quieter life.

jeanmarie said:
I would not camp alone away from other people in isolated areas, especially in a van or small RV. Guns are no good if you can't quickly get at them. I wouldn't want the inconvenience or responsibility of a dog. Dogs are easy to kill for anyone with the proper training, anyway. I prefer to be in a gated campground with full hookups, off in a quiet corner where I can socialize or not, as I choose. This may just be my own prejudice. I know other women don't think that way.

Thieves go for easy targets. 

Someone with a dog is not an easy target. I can't imagine a situation where someone would take the time and forethought to kill a dog, unless they knew the target had something of great value- a great deal of cash in a safe, flashy jewelry, etc. 

I'm glad you feel safe where you are, but it doesn't take living in a gated community to be safe. Being aware of your surroundings, not making yourself an obvious target, having a dog, etc., are all good ways to minimize risk. There is no 100% guarantee of safety anywhere, even where you are.

Going with your worst case scenario, someone could jump your fence and still get to you.

badmotorscooter said:
Do single women carry pepper spray, pack a firearm, have a big dog, or any other means of self defense?

I am still in sticks and bricks, and I live in an area with a lot of property crime. I have no doubt I will be safer after I get on the road in three years after my son graduates from high school.

I have a german shepard, and feel completely safe. Crime, whether its personal or property, is typically a matter of opportunity. Is it easier to rob/rape you or your neighbor? In my case, in my high crime neighborhood, it's my neighbor. I don't even lock my doors. My dog is big and scary looking.

I have thought about getting a gun, but the likelihood of having it actually in my hand when someone was in my face threatening me seem extremely small.

I truly think the best way to avoid crime is to make yourself unattractive to it, and to be aware of your surroundings. 

There is no 100% guarantee with any form of defense.

I have one more comment about owning a gun. If you choose to get one, I strongly suggest you think about how you would feel if you shot and killed someone, even if you were justified in shooting. Would you be ok taking a life to protect your microwave? 

I don't say this lightly. There was a situation many decades ago when I would have killed a man if I could, and frankly he would have deserved it. I'm glad I couldn't. Anyone who buys a gun really needs to consider what happens when they use it.

I have traveled solo on long trips over the years and have never had one minute of trouble. Just use common sense and street smarts.

You don't need to carry an arsenal of specialty weapons. Lots of ordinary, everyday things make handy weapons should you need one. No doubt you have some sharp knives in the drawer. Keep them well sharpened, they cut food better that way.

Of course if you need a new hobby you can take up sports that can be used for self defense. Tackle football, wrestling, archery, target shooting, the martial arts, comedy routines, etc.

annabell said:
 . . . I have one more comment about owning a gun. If you choose to get one, I strongly suggest you think about how you would feel if you shot and killed someone, even if you were justified in shooting. Would you be ok taking a life to protect your microwave?  . . .

You would be tried for murder.  You cannot use deadly force to protect property, only from bodily harm, and only to stop the attack.  You need to know how and when to use anything you take along to use for protection (including sprays, clubs, knives, guns, your vehicle, ...).

If you have a dog, pay attention to it.  They are more aware of their surroundings than we are and will recognize danger earlier.

badmotorscooter said:
Perhaps saying that you pack a firearm (even if you don't) would give an extra measure of security?

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong wrong. That kind of thinking is the exact opposite of having common sense or street smarts.

If you go around telling people you have a gun you will become a target for break ins by people who want to steal a gun. Guns are very easy to sell for quick cash.  The only people you would feel like letting know are the people that scare you and they are the ones who most want your gun. How would you know that they don't also have one and can just pull it out and say..give me your gun right now. Or maybe they will pull out a knife. Do not go around asking for that kind of trouble.

maki2 said:
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong wrong. That kind of thinking is the exact opposite of having common sense or street smarts.

If you go around telling people you have a gun you will become a target for break ins by people who want to steal a gun. Guns are very easy to sell for quick cash.  The only people you would feel like letting know are the people that scare you and they are the ones who most want your gun. You want to make sure that you have trouble as a woman then tell the scary strangers you meet when you are all alone "I have a gun".

i would have a gun and a dog. the dog (any size) wakes you up so
you can get the gun.

annabell said:
Thieves go for easy targets. 

Someone with a dog is not an easy target. I can't imagine a situation where someone would take the time and forethought to kill a dog, unless they knew the target had something of great value- a great deal of cash in a safe, flashy jewelry, etc. 

I'm glad you feel safe where you are, but it doesn't take living in a gated community to be safe. Being aware of your surroundings, not making yourself an obvious target, having a dog, etc., are all good ways to minimize risk. There is no 100% guarantee of safety anywhere, even where you are.

Going with your worst case scenario, someone could jump your fence and still get to you.
Just get a dog. Sure, everyone thinks that a dog is some sort of magic bullet for solving all security problems. Yes, a dog might make someone a harder target. But a dog is a living creature, not a piece of machinery.

I happen to be allergic to dogs, among other things.  My allergies are getting worse over time. Some dogs may be easier on allergic people, but they all still do trigger allergic reactions. Even if I were not allergic, I don't want the extra work or responsibility or expense of owning a dog. I don't want the mess or smell in a small space. I don't want to have to walk it or cut my activities short because I have to go let it out. I don't want to worry about what to do with it when I want to fly somewhere for a wedding or go on a cruise. I don't want to not be able to shop or meet friends for lunch on hot days because I can't leave the dog alone in a confined space with no A/C. 

I have had and enjoyed dogs all my adult life and just pumped myself full of antihistamines or put up with not feeling well. But I am at a different stage in life, now. Not only do I not want the inconvenience of a dog right now, but my family does have hereditary issues that make us not tend to be reliably long-lived. I am already old. What happens to the dog if I die? None of my friends want another dog and my kids are waiting for their own old dogs to die so they can travel. I would not want an old dog that is going to start out costing a mint in vet bills right away. A younger dog is going to shred my nerves and would end up in the pound when I can no longer take care of it.

So, I would stick with either camping with people I know or staying in campgrounds with onsite security.

I just did a google search on the keywords "campers attacked in Arizona"

The results returned only news stories of a couple of incidents with bears and one with a possibly rabid mountain lion.

I would suggest you stick to carrying bear spray as it will be more effective than a handgun in that kind of wild animal attack situation. But also read up on the BLM and wildlife management websites how to handle such situations.

The human to human attacks in Arizona all seem to have happened within the cities either in attacks on the homeless, bar fights or domestic situations. Of course that is fairly typical for how it goes down in cities.

But if you are still concerned pick up your phone and call the Rangers in the areas you plan to go and have a real time, real life, discussion about your personal risk in staying in those areas . Be sure to ask them about any real incidents that have happened to solo women travelers that they have heard about during their service years.