Solar wiring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scadwell

Reaction score
Is this wiring diagram what I should be following for the equipment i have in the picture? Using an Ampere Lifepo4 100ah battery and two 100 watt solar panels. Are there decent kits for customizing your wire lengths? Do I need a 20 amp fuse for each positive cable like the diagram shows? Is 8 AWG wire what I should be using for everything? Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125-154007_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125-154007_Chrome~2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221125_154447.jpg
    20221125_154447.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
It is close, but there should be a direct connection from the charge controller to your fuse block rather than direct from the battery.This will help prevent over-discharge of your battery. Like in this photo from renogy. Yes you'll want to fuse each positive cable from the battery. Wire gauge will depend on the length of the wire run.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 1.46.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 1.46.37 PM.png
    203.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
"The Devil is in the Details !"

I think the diagram looks fine.........

^the Solar Charge Controller connects directly to the battery....(along with a couple other wires)

WE don't like those "Audio" socketed/battery lugs..........proper ring terminals make better mobile connections

I like a Disconnect between the panels and the SCC for system maintenance.....I use a red battery disconnect

Try #6 to the Inverter fused at 70 amps.....OR #4 / fused up to 100 amp

Maybe.........#10 / 30 amp from the SCC.....and to the Fuse block.......then #12 everywhere for use

If you've never dealt with (most) Solar Charge Controller "Connections"...Screws.......They are NOT Set Screws !

It's a caged connection........TURN the screw LEFTY-Loosey.....and the cage opens behind the screw

Insert wire.............TURN the screw RIGHTY-Tighty and the cage closes trapping the wire forward

I often find "The-Wire-Always-Fall-Out-Problems" have had their wires squashed behind the cage........

Wire ferrules work really well at keeping the stranded wires together and makes it easy to insert into the connections abnorm mentioned above. And because the ferrule makes all the stranded wires to become as one, they don't get "squashed behind the cage".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 7.47.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 7.47.21 PM.png
    578.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks good! I would add a fuse on the solar panel positive side (they make inline ones). If you need to do any crimp connections buy real crimpers like the Gardner Bender GS-388 and DO NOT use the super cheap ones that come with the kit.
For what size of wire, refer to this chart, use the column "60C 140F NM-B UF-B"

[link removed-tx2]

The fuses are protecting your wires, the wires and fuse should be in line with what current you expect to be going over the wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
1zacster, welcome, but be advised we limit brand new members from posting live hyperlinks. If you'd like to be active here, we'd prefer you introduce yourself and then we can allow links to be posted.

Is this wiring diagram what I should be following for the equipment i have in the picture? Using an Ampere Lifepo4 100ah battery and two 100 watt solar panels. Are there decent kits for customizing your wire lengths? Do I need a 20 amp fuse for each positive cable like the diagram shows? Is 8 AWG wire what I should be using for everything? Thanks for any help!!
How will you be determining the State of Charge (SOC) of the battery?