Solar panel wiring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianalindgren

Reaction score
I just picked up 10 300w 36v panels. I have a 60 amp control panel. I was told I can put 3 of the panels on a 10awg line. I want to put 6 panels in parallel. Do I run 2 lines with each line having 3 panels on them and then combine them once there in the house at my control panel. Want to find the best solution to do this. I’m open to all ideas and advice.

We're going to need both the specs of the panels and your charge controller, battery voltage would also be helpful to know how much power you can get from a 60a controller.

For the panels we need to know open circuit voltage (VOC) and the short circuit current (ISC) these should be on a sticker on back of the panel.

For the controller we need to know it's VOC limit.

I just picked up 10 300w 36v panels. I have a 60 amp control panel. I was told I can put 3 of the panels on a 10awg line. I want to put 6 panels in parallel. Do I run 2 lines with each line having 3 panels on them and then combine them once there in the house at my control panel. Want to find the best solution to do this. I’m open to all ideas and advice.
The benefit of parallel is that shading of any one panel wont lose you as much power but you will need heavier gauge wire and run at lower voltage.

The advantage of serial connection is you will run at higher voltage and MPPT controller will work more efficiently and you can use thiner gauge wire

For folks in Arizona and other locations with little shade I would say go serial if you will be camping in wooded areas go parallel.

Whatever you do don’t skimp in wire gauge or quality. Same goes for connectors.

Since this is a vanlife forum I took house to mean van should not have made that assumption.

If I had read more carefully it would have been obvious with 10 300 w panels.

Some of recommendations still apply but that does not excuse my not paying closer attention to the question and not making assumptions

Old eyes, small screen and late night don’t help either .

Your charge controller needs to be an MPPT type and capable of handling the voltage of 3 series connected panels which would be a minimum of about 125 volts. The controller should be installed as close to your batteries as possible and should not be in the same compartment as the batteries if they are lead-acid.

There are many places online with Solar Calculators. For a system that large you definitely need to use one of them. Also I'm pretty sure you will need more than one MPPT Charge Controller. This company is more for off grid sticks and bricks type installations. altE solar Calculator.
I really like Victron equipment because of it's "one app to rule them all" for ease of knowing what is happening in your system. It has a calculator for Charge Controller selection. MPPT Calculator tool.
Another good tip I have seen is - Don't skimp on wire sizes.
Good Luck

Since this is a vanlife forum I took house to mean van should not have made that assumption.

If I had read more carefully it would have been obvious with 10 300 w panels.

Some of recommendations still apply but that does not excuse my not paying closer attention to the question and not making assumptions

Old eyes, small screen and late night don’t help either .

Dont worry...I have made assumptions and then tossed out advice, only to find out later on that I was off in left field. It happens to all of us I think at one time or another.

Stay with us, we're glad to have you in here helping out.

...I...made assumptions...only to find out...I was off...
I did that, too.
I saw a moderator issue a direct order about 'over-riding principles', and thought it was a return to the 'good old days' of wearing our bloomers outside our clothes.
And all that week, I slowly noticed nobody else was enjoying the trend.
You better believe that was my last time doing that!

(stock photograph, not anybody we know)

Last edited:
I’m not familiar with 36 volt panels, do you have a link to a product page?

In my 24v case, the cost savings of wire and controllers makes a serial connection the better choice. Typically simple residential systems are limited to 48v in part for safety. There are lots of 24v and 48v products.

Do note that the maximum voltage on these systems will be considerably higher and that this can result in confusion.