Solar Panel Cleaning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest what I can use to thoroughly clean a solar panel to get rid of dog urine smell.

I'm the one who had my panel targeted by a loose dog up on the plateau. I ended up cleaning the panel with water 3 times to get rid of the markings it left on the panel...that part was successful!

But evidently it still left the panel with an odor that only a dog can smell....the little thing in camp has targeted the exact same spot twice now. I've been fortunate that I got it rinsed off before it dried so it didn't leave the marks that the first round of dog pee did but obviously the smell is lingering!

Help!!!

Yuk. Sorry about that. They do sell commercial stuff in pet sections of stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but is it safe to use on solar panels?

I've removed more than my fair share of pet urine stains and odors over the years (raised all my dogs from puppies etc.) but never from solar panels.

Cammalu said:
Yuk.  Sorry about that.  They do sell commercial stuff in pet sections of stores.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[font=Times New Roman, serif]If you live in a van you probably have a spray bottle of vinegar around.  Use that.  It will replace the smell and disinfect.  Solar panels are tough and wouldn't be bothered by the vinegar.[/font]

Yes. Vinegar full strength should work. I used it this summer with puppies in the house.

Put some ammonia on panel frame or ground near the spot as possible it will stop him.

You want to be careful of the coating on the panels. Should you chose to use anything besides water, make sure you use plenty of water to insure whatever is corrosive or may leave a film has rinsed off.

Part of the smell may be where the urine got down in the frame.