Solar Generators Worth It??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dust of the Sun

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the SUNRUNNER solar generators out of Port Republic Virginia?? They are pricey at $3800 plus. Same question with all those email and internet ads for the solar generators from Solutions From Science ($1800 to $3600)...Brian Brawdy I think his name is...everything from survival seeds to sun ovens from Solutions From Science seems overpriced but I never ran into SUNRNR or Sunrunner generators before. Especially wondering just how MUCH stuff they can run?? Would love to hear any stories about their value or lack of. I was contemplating getting a Yamaha gas generator since everybody that has one loves it...but even that is a thousand dollars...twice the price of all those "unreliable" brands but alittle less than the King Hondas. What do you guys use, prefer or recommend?? As always, thanks for being such a receptive group to help the newbies!!<br>

I've heard and read nothing but great things about the Honda &amp; Yamaha generators. I'm set to get one shortly before my departure date.<div><br></div><div>I'm positive that I wouldn't part with $3800 for something like that. It's just not worth the return.</div>

Hey Haven 106, thx for the thoughts...if you're gonna get a new Yamaha or Honda gas generator, what SIZE is necessary to run HOW MUCH of your rv stuff?? Yamaha comes in 1000, 2000, 2400, 3600 etc.....could you be specific about the SIZE and other options you feel are worthwhile like tri-fuel and Inverter for computer use etc?????<br>Thanks again. Dust<br><br>

Oops ... &nbsp;I've been looking at the 2000watt ones from both brands.<div><br></div><div><br>Steve</div>

&nbsp;I'm not a fan of Brian Brawdy -he seems to be mostly just into profit for himself and if greens a good way to go he'll do it for that reason.<br><br>&nbsp;If you're going to convert a van or get a RV , a permanent solar system would be better and cheaper than a solar generator. As far as I can tell with a solar generator you get a potable solar panel with an inverter and a couple of batteries enclosed in a case. For the same price you can get a much larger permanent solar system installed on your vehicle.<br><br>&nbsp;With either solar system you'll still need a generator if you're planning on using appliances with high draws like air conditioners ,toaster ovens ,microwaves ,etc.<br><br>

I too have looked at the Honda &amp; Yamaha generators and plan to pick one when my $169 buffalo tools sportsman 2000 watt gives up the ghost. I have 60 watts of solar on the roof, and a three stage 55 amp charger, and four group 31 deep cycles. The little china made generator is running my 5000BTU A/C right now. 104&nbsp; degrees outside!<br>

To WheelsofFreedom76---ahh-haa...your post brings out the very essence of my question!!!!! If you have a buffalo tools $169 2000watt gennie that's powering your ac in 104 degree heat and apparently working....why would you contemplate spending almost a thousand dollars for a yamaha or honda (or more)??????? This is the main reason for my post as all kinds of brands of gennies cost HALF that of the Yamaha or Honda???? please tell alittle more about your cheap sportsman and why you wouldn't just get another when it fails?? Is it unreliable?? Noisy?? VERY curious about your post. So you're gonna replace a $169 gennie with a THOUSAND dollar one?? Please tell why as I am grapplying with this very issue!!!!<br>

ok, I'm off and maybe beating a dead horse but I'm also wondering if anybody has experience with these MUCH cheaper gas generators like 4,000 watt Champions, DuroMax's and ETQ's all for about $399.00...which is well below half of the 2,000 watt Yamaha's and Honda's...just seems ridiculous price differences...are these others THAT bad compared to the Japanese???? Then there are the cheapo Generac's, Honeywell's etc that get bad reviews......Any experience to share??<br>

To shed a little light on the Buffalo tools Sportsman 1500/2000 watt generator. I purchased it around a year ago at Tractor Supply Co. here in Kansas for $169 on sale. It has a 2.4 hp OHV engine and a 1.4 I think gallon gas tank. It weights around 60 pounds full of fuel. It is a china made unit. The fuel consumption is around 40% more than the claimed 9 hours per tank at half load. The voltage regulation is very jumpy, and the sine wave is pretty nasty. It will run things that are not too picky like the coffee pot, or air conditioner. The microwave will run on it, but seems to take about 30% more cook time than shore power. The battery charger will work to an extent with it, but only for bulk charging. I would guess I have accumulated around 50 hours on the unit. It has not made any new sounds since new. It does start up easily, even in cold weather. However, I would much prefer an inverter type generator for the clean sine wave, and proper charger functioning, and reduced cook time in the microwave. Most I have looked at include an idle feature. The are markedly more quiet than the sportsman generator. I think a Honda or Yamaha will last many more hours than the China unit. Just my opinion so far.<br>

Dust of the Sun:<br><br>Back to the usage part of your 5:34 p.m. post on 7/20/11: "<span id="post_message_1269453203">if you're gonna get a new Yamaha or Honda gas generator, what SIZE is necessary to run HOW MUCH of your rv stuff?</span>"&nbsp; The answer to your question lies, in part, with the electronics you anticipate running in your mobile dwelling.&nbsp; <br><br>Bob Wells does a great job in laying out the concept of having electricity in your mobile dwelling under the yellow button:&nbsp; How to Have Electricity on the left side of the web site page (you might have to click it several times).&nbsp; It's a real good primer course on the subject.&nbsp; Before you invest in whatever type of generator, you'll need to calculate (or get help doing so) your system usage (what appliances you'll run, for how long and how often during the day).&nbsp; I bought the book Bob recommends by Harold Barre: Managing 12 Volts off of Amazon.&nbsp; It tells one how to calculate usage and how big one's battery bank needs to be to support it while boondocking.&nbsp; See also the link below to a helpful page at Honda.com.<br><br>Beyond the capacity you'll require to recharge a battery bank, one will also have to consider where to run the generator to power things while using them or do the recharging.&nbsp; There are some earlier posts where Honda/ Yamaha generator owners talk about how quiet their units are when running (an investment consideration).&nbsp; Where will you be running a generator most often (as best you can guess)? (Rhetorical)&nbsp; Is your overall objective stealth due to urban vandwelling or will you be in the boonies where noise is less of a consideration (but still a consideration--for, e.g.. see Bob Wells' generator-running guidelines for the next RTR)<br><br>This is an interesting page at the Honda site to peruse: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_howmuchpower<br><br>I hope this helps because that's my aim in offering these comments while I learn about this stuff too.<br><br><br>

P.S.&nbsp; There are also some very helpful comments (and links) offered in earlier threads on this general forum topic: Electrical: Batteries, Generators, Solar.<br>