Solar components in the cold during a van build?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmotron

Reaction score
I'm sitting here in my nice warm space contemplating what I will do this winter with my van build. I have a lot of stuff to install, electric wiring, and plumbing  to get done. Once the van is done the mechanical room in back, with these things, will be kept warm. But during the install they won't be kept warm. I have seen days in the minus teens here in winter, southern Idaho at 4,000ft. Does anyone know if there's a problem risking damage to the charge controller, and inverter? If I keep water out of the plastic plumbing lines and tanks then I have no problems with all that. I can heat the inside for installing the FRP in the shower. It's just where all the electronics go that I have a problem, or not?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• tg3.jpg
    tg3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 6
Cool, I mean cold!

I can install the solar panels. From the Renogy site: "Use: Since panels have a much wider temperature performance range than batteries, the largest concern of using panels in the winter is snow and sun angle. For Renogy’s rigid panels, the operating temperature ranges from -40 to 176°F; "

Should have gone looking at the manufacturer site first.

"The parts of the system which are of least concern during the colder months are the charge controller and inverter, as they both have a very wide storage and operating temperature range.

For storage of both the charge controller and inverter, we recommend keeping them in range of -31 to 175°F. If you plan to use them during the winter, safe operating temperatures range between -4 to 158°F for an inverter and -31 to +113°F for a charge controller. We simply can’t imagine any human wanting to live in an RV in these types of extremes!"

Any advice beyond this would be welcome.

Your only concerns, and they are pretty minor, will be humidity (since you probably won't have ventilation) for the components and below freezing for the batteries. I scanned quickly but did not see you mention what type of batteries you will be using. But cold temperature will affect the performance of most any type of battery and potentially cause damage if you try to charge it below certain temperatures.

Thanks, yes humidity. Not a big issue here. But in winter it is. Hmm.

The batteries are kept indoors all winter until I have the van done. But I will be able to do all the wiring except the final hookup from the charger and the inverter. Got to cut two holes in the roof before the silicone calking won't set up properly. One is for the vent pipe to the black water tank and the other is for that thing-a-ma-bob plastic aerodynamic junction cover for bringing the wiring from the solar panels inside.

Oh, that thing-a-ma-bob. I'm going to hang on to that knowledge.

Anyone who has ever made out in a car in the winter knows that humidity is definitely an issue without ventilation lol.

Well I really like my van build a lot but I'm not going to make out with it any time soon.
I guess I'll have to find out if it is a she now.  Haven't even got a name for it yet. I did call it an SOB once when I took the rear AC out.

Before you make out with your van, be sure to check the undercarriage so you know what you're really getting into. Also make sure the van was born before 2003, would be wrong if van was younger than 18, but that would depend on your states age of consent laws.

I've decided to make out with this, she looks really hot.

Martin Portable Gas Catalytic Heater, OUTDOOR Heating, Foldable Legs, CSA CERTIFIED

Attachments

• Martin.png
    Martin.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 2
I keep my used Colman 1lb propane bottles and know how best to refill them.

ICYWTK -- You freeze the empties, turn your 5 gallon propane tank upside down, and use an attachment meant for that purpose. They typically recover to around 90%. So when you see friends throwing them away after one use, take them off their hands. You can get around ten refills from one bottle this way.