Soapstone for radiating heat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starlight

Reaction score
Since I discovered the clay pot heater... which is placed upside down over a candle(s)... which can be placed over an oil lamp... (done only in a safe manner, of course) -- in order to radiate heat into a small room... I wondered if one could use a stone, or a claypot-stone combination of some kind... to absorb and radiate heat cheaply.

I think there may be several types of stone that have been historically used for radiating heat. Some rock and stone can explode when subjected to heat, so it would have to be a proven stone. Soapstone keeps coming up.
http://www.greenstoneheat.com/why-soapstone/

The most practical thing on the market to try this with is a soapstone bowl or a pizza stone. Anyone have any experience with this idea?
http://www.soapstones.com/soapstone_kitchenware.html

West coast (Ca.) soapstone carries high asbestos...it will depend on where you get your stone from. The safest comes from Mo. and the New England states

heating it does not release the asbestos or talc....carving it or shaving it does

I have been carving stone for over 40 yrs and have done extensive research on this subject, also some of the most expensive sought after wood & gas stoves are built from soapstone

http://geology.com/rocks/soapstone.shtml

I'm certain it is possible that you are correct on the asbestos in some soapstone, however, it seems odd that such a soft stone that can be scratched during use would have such approved and common uses as counter tops, flooring, pizza stones, carving stones, etc. I searched the geology site for "asbestos" and got no hits.

never believe everything you read on the internet.....there are aliens monitoring these sites and there using mind control!! :)

when you look it up geologically...it is called Steatite , it varies in hardness and its content. I carve Native american pipes from it and have a 4' bear I carved from it

The idea of using soap stone, or other thermal mass, is a hot fire warms the mass and then the mass continues to radiate heat after the hot fire cools. And yes there are many different soapstone contaminates.

(Off topic)
Mike...do you also carve (red) pipestone? Love working with it, great smooth texture, beautiful tones.

Wonder how it would work as a thermal mass for heating? (don't have a large enough chunk to try)

Catlinite is a great stone.....I use it alot for true native pipe....I also use a black onyx out of Va....

I think it would be hard to find a large enough piece of catlinite mostly because it is removed from the pit by hand. most true pipestone comes from Minnesota off the reservation and is for native use... and is only allowed to be removed by native Americans by hand

All true fact, Mike. However, there are lots of rock shops in this area and I often see some very sizable 4' thick slabs (mostly 2-3' tho), some with wonderful color striations. I've used lots of catlinite to make beads, pipes, and other things. 20 yrs ago there were tons of it on the tables in Quartzsite. This year, hardly any to be found. Makes me wonder if they have restricted the "export" from the Rez (?)

Catlinite dust stains clothing, so I've even "dyed" T shirts with it. Once "fixed" in a laundry dryer, the color lasts quite well, as long as bleach isn't used, and that doesn't remove all of the color.
The stone feels good in hand, and handled often, it deepens to a rich tone.

Near Prescott, Az catlinite can be found, but earthquakes many years ago fractured most of it, as it is more brittle than that from Minn. I would hesitate to try it for heating experiments due to the possibility of it shattering since it is less stable.

If only I were more artistic, LOL. So many wonderful carving stone given by Mother Earth.

If I recall correctly, you are of Native descent, giving you the true right to make a ceremonial pipe. Natives disdain the use of catlinite by non-natives as a smoking device since tobacco and herbs are used for their offerings.

`

I am......I was gifted and taught by one of my elders the art of pipe making and carving of stone in the traditional way.

then the white man invented the Dremel tool .. :) !!!!....................

Yes, but there certain lava flows that contain minerals not safe for such uses.
I have no links, nor can I remember all the facts, but I remember it from geological studies.
Lava rock sold for BBQ grills are safe for sure.