smoke and co2 detectors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05kas05

Reaction score
looking to add one of each into my van is there any model or certain brand that is recommended over the other? if you have a link to the ones you use and like it would be appreciated.
also i would like to mount them together is there a better spot to mount them say higher up or lower to the floor ? i have a conversion van a 1995 gmc vandura 2500 not sure if it makes a difference between my van and something like a cargo van since i have a lot of windows.

i would buy a known brand such as First Alert. My CO detector instructs to mount at shoulder height in the home. The smoke and fire detector mounts to the ceiling. There are combination units, I have not read those instructions about mounting. Smoke and fire particles rise to the top. CO disperses through the air. A smoke and fire detector will trigger over a stove or unventilated heater. probably better mounted over your bed in a van.
As a side, you want CO (carbon-monoxide) not CO2 (carbon-dioxide) detector.

There are previous threads related to this about a few months back. I recently had to throw away a combined smoke and carbon monoxide detector alarm. I wish I remember the exact model, but I don't. It was round, and I think I got it from Home Depot. The darn thing would sporadically give me an audible female voice saying "Fire! Fire!" when in fact there was no fire. The first time it happened it freaked me out. After the 3rd false alarm, I chucked the thing in the trash can.

I now use separate detectors for smoke and carbon monoxide. In fact, I have multiple smoke and carbon monoxide detectors inside the vehicle and placed in different locations (eg: front of van, back of van, higher and lower positions). When I was researching for a carbon monoxide detector, I noticed that most lower priced models had a less sensitive reading of 30 parts per million. I found a carbon monoxide detector at Amazon with a higher sensitivity reading of 10 parts per million, and it was double the usual price.

Oops yes you are correct a Co detector not Co2 sorry.
I was looking Around all The normal stores in my area and they all carry the kidde brand which I'm sure works fine I just thought I would check with you guys and gals since I know most of you have been using them for awhile.

Both my CO and smoke detectors are mounted on the ceiling. My propane detector is near the floor.

kidde is a good brand. been around for a while. I have a kidde smoke detector. It never sounded when there was no fire. Until I forgot the prime rib in the oven.

Some smoke detectors use photoelectric, some use ionization. Some have both circuits built in.

The photoelectric are said to be more sensitive to slow smouldering fires, the ionization type are more sensitive to flames.

Regards
John

Some detectors are rated for RVs and some are not. You may think that's not important but consider the unique conditions inside a van or RV. Your van RV may freeze inside--how will that affect the detector? Your van certainly gets a LOT of shaking and vibration, how will that affect the detector?

I don't know the answer and that scares me. Detectors that have been rated for RV use have been tested and we know the answer is that they are still safe.

If you're betting your life on it, is it worth a few more dollars to get one rated for RV use? You can get them from RV parts stores.
Bob

very good point and one that had not crossed my mind i will have to look into some rv parts places in town and online and see what i find thanks.

akrvbob said:
Some detectors are rated for RVs and some are not. You may think that's not important but consider the unique conditions inside a van or RV. Your van RV may freeze inside--how will that affect the detector? Your van certainly gets a LOT of shaking and vibration, how will that affect the detector?

I don't know the answer and that scares me. Detectors that have been rated for RV use have been tested and we know the answer is that they are still safe.

If you're betting your life on it, is it worth a few more dollars to get one rated for RV use? You can get them from RV parts stores.
Bob

I tossed my first alert detectors in the can, and got kiddie for co. It works good with a much better battery bay. The fist alert were false alarming even with fresh batteries..after wrestling them in..

Good 12v CO detectors are so expensive. Costco has a 110v on sale for $23 right now. Biggest drawback is that a new 9V alkaline will only last 7 days so it's more for the inverter.

I just looked at co detectors for $9.95. USA company made in mexico. I forget the name.

I missed RTR 2018 due to family issues. Wanted to be there to meet & learn.

I read detectors are needed for smoke & CO/LP, as well as fire extinguisher.

Best to use RV quality.

Seems both detectors have to be mounted. 

I didn't want to drill holes into my minivan & don't know where it's safe to drill w/o hitting electrical.

Guess there are no "table mount" versions, as they'd get knocked around too much & placement in vehicle is important.

Any suggestions?

Double sided tape works. CO detector will work on a table but should be propped to vertical.

Weight said:
Double sided tape works. CO detector will work on a table but should be propped to vertical.

How about using a napkin holder to stick the CO detector on?

Weight said:

Propped to vertical, thanks. If anyone knows if this works on the combo CO/LP let me know that. I guess if you're going to be extra careful that's the one to go for.

Still want to know re the smoke detector issue: can it be propped or can I adhere that with double sided tape?

Netter said:
How about using a napkin holder to stick the CO detector on?

That would fit in the rear cubby. I've got one that's got lots of air flow. Thx for the idea.

the propane detector should be mounted at the lowest point in the vehicle as propane is heavier than air. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the propane detector should be mounted at the lowest point in the vehicle as propane is heavier than air.  highdesertranger

Did you recently refer us to an RV CO/LP combo monitor? Is the lowest point good for that unit?

Any suggestions re the smoke detector issue I mentioned earlier? Prefer not to drill into minivan, don't know where elec lines may be located, HDR. Would double sided tape keep it stable and functional?

Thanks