Single burner grill thing? Saw these at an ethnic store... [pictures]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Killing time today I walked into an ethnic grocery store and saw these grill top adapter things. The picture shows them being put on top of a single burner camp stove. However they caught my interest because I could see potentially using one of these inside the van on my gas stove top in order to grill with easier clean-up.

kQkPpxi.jpg
Edtsm3j.jpg

I kind of like the look of this round one. The middle part appears to be granite or such.

YMEdQpO.jpg

Or, instead of a grill, there are some which are concave, and with a hole in the middle connected to a grease outlet.

Cn2P9On.jpg

They also have what appear to be knockoff single burner butane stoves, and 4pks of butane for $5.99. Not sure how this price compares / if the quality of filtered fuel is the same.

Z35bPnK.jpg

These work well indoors when there is a well to hold water (the first ones you show). The water keeps smoke down to a minimum as food stuff hits the water and is smothered rather than building up and catching fire.

I have one of the round ones, just metal, with a 1.5"(?) drip tray underneath the top grill part. What I like about it, is if you put about 1" of water in the bottom of it, it can turn the toughest piece of meat into juicy and succulent.

Interesting, didn't realize to fill them with water.

My elderly Mom just ordered one like the square type shown first, but likely paid more tan the ethnic store would charge.  If it works well for her, I will look for one in a local ethnic store.

They seemed to all be about $24 where I saw them.

mmmmmm Korean BBQ! I like the Round one. May need to get down to MeKong Market and get me one.

The one-burner stove is probably not a knock-off but the same one sold under the name Coleman, Camp Chef, etc. If you look on Amazon they are all the same, different colors, different logos but the same locking lever, etc. And yup, that same cheap black plastic case. I bought one just like it from Walmart dot com for $21 (red, either Coleman or Camp Chef logo). I doubt there are a lot of factories in China making the same exact stove -- learned this when shopping for something else. Look carefully at the product photo because very often some name brand you trust will be selling the same thing as some JohnnieBeNew brand you've never heard of for 3x the price but it's the same guts and bolts. This goes for "zero gravity lounge chairs," other camping chairs, coffee percolators, pretty much anything. BTW the stove works great. And as for the fuel, While TrueValue sells a can of right-size butane (8-oz) for those stoves for $5 (name brand Coleman), a restaurant supply store here that would not carry junk sells an off brand for $2.33. And yup -- both come from Korea.

gsfish said:
I bought this one today at the flea market. Still in the plastic wrapper for $3.00. Will give a report when I break it in.

Guy

That's identical to the one I had years ago...good to know they're still around and at a good price.

The things I remember about using them - keep extra water around for refilling the outer ring and grease the grill before using it each time.

It worked great and I got years of use out of it. It came in real handy when I wanted to grill something but didn't want to have to set up the barbecue.

Must have pitched it when moving back to Canada as part of the downsizing I was doing.

be caerful using the butane stoves if you use a pan that is too big it will deflect the heat over the canster and it will explode. not a perty site. happens all the time in korea. other than that they are safe. all ways remove the cansters from the stove.

travlinman said:
be caerful using the butane stoves if you use a pan that is too big it will deflect the heat over the canster and it will explode. not a perty site. 
I have one of the single burners that use Butane, and I love it! Heats up fast, & boils water fast too.
Thanks for the heads up.
I guess I could see that happening, just never thought of it. I usually use small pots and pans, so probably not an issue here, but something to keep an eye on.

I found one of the round ones on walmart online under the name smokeless indoor grill. There was a few to choose, but the closest  one I found was for $16. I'm sure you could get it sent to the store for pick up. But wow that is one hard to find item.

hahahaha did anybody notice in the links above, that the grill marks do not match the pattern of the grill. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
hahahaha did anybody notice in the links above,  that the grill marks do not match the pattern of the grill.  
On the meat? You're absolutely right! That meat was not cooked on that grill. Good catch.  ;-)

highdesertranger said:
I don't know I am weird,  it stuck out like a pink elephant to me.  highdesertranger
Maybe because you were actually looking at the food? :D