sidewall mount for vent fan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneeus

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there any reason why a roof vent fan couldn't or shouldn't be mounted on the side of a van up near the roof? I plan on having solar panels covering much of the roof, and this would make life a lot easier....

Thanks

One problem with side mounts is limbs and branches on BLM type lands breaking the plastic cover as they get brittle from the desert sun. When they are open at night and you make a quick trip outside they can be hazardous as well.

search back through Bob’s videos you find one which is a tour of his assistant KC’s van. She has a fan mounted in one of the rear door windows. I’ve considered doing it myself but I haven’t got around to it.

on my roof I have a 14 inch vortex fan, I just removed the cover and place the solar panels over the vent. In 8 years never had rain come in through the roof.

vent under the 365 watt solar panel
1 roof vents 365b.jpeg

I also have side vents but rarely use them anymore, the air coming in through the sides gets too hot, air coming from the roof under the solar panel is much cooler.

side vents.jpg

I would not mount a fan with a flip-up lid on the side, but on the rear door is very 'doable'.

The flush mount vent fan in jonyjoe's picture above, installed in the side of the van, would be fine.

Hi,
Is there any reason...a roof vent fan couldn't or shouldn't be mounted on the side of a van up near the roof? I plan on having solar panels covering much of the roof, and this would make life a lot easier....

Thanks
Eugene, Oregon.
About a decade ago, we acquired a pair of used take-out MaxxAir type fans at the RV Surplus shop near the junior college.
We mounted these on the wall of a food-cart trailer.
Last I heard, they are going strong.
re -- Holes! In! The! Roof!
We think that is a bad idea.

I mounted one in place of window in back door. Works good and don't need to worry about branches etc hitting it on tight roads.

Attachments

• 20220203_074039.jpg
    20220203_074039.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
My only concern would be rain, but if you can work around that....sounds good. If you are mounted on the side....and there is a stiff wind.....would that be an issue?