shut down

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderson5

Reaction score
so fixing to head out towards quartzite the 6th of october sometime in the wee hours of the morning to start my full time boon docking adventure.but can anyone tell me if we have a gov.shutdown would i effect camping on blm land,i am thinking it might effect the long term places more as far as any services they might offer?really picked a scary time to start this since i am on social security and would hate to get stuck in the middle of no where with no money if they dont raise the debt ceiling,i am sure it weighs a little heavy on alot of us

In the past.........government shut-downs have little effect on the BLM lands in Quartzsite

At the LTVAs they stopped issuing passes but remained Open....one year it took months before they cashed my $180 check

relax - social security is self funded thru the payroll tax, which government workers don't pay. Worry more about 15 years from now when the SS money runs out according to the most recent trustees report. Like the previous reply, with a shutdown, no one will be there to enforce the 14 day stay limit i.e. LTVA without the expense

The last time there was a shut down the LTVAs essentially reverted to off-season status. No one to collect fees or enforce compliance, but no trash pickup or dump station servicing either. The simulated RTR scenes in "Nomadland" were shot at an LTVA during the shutdown.

The non-LTVA areas also went without enforcement.

My Social Security continued to be auto-deposited during the shutdown.

mattvei said:
relax - social security is self funded thru the payroll tax, which government workers don't pay. Worry more about 15 years from now when the SS money runs out according to the most recent trustees report. Like the previous reply, with a shutdown, no one will be there to enforce the 14 day stay limit i.e. LTVA without the expense
well the blm stuff is cool but yeah we will still get our checks during a goverment shut down but if they dont raise the debt ceiling we could either see a delay or possibly wont receive them for an unspecified time thats what has me a little concerned,so hope they get it all worked out.

Here's an article from last week about what could happen to Social Security during a shutdown. To me it looked like there are some grey areas and it's hard to be 100% sure, but many (most?) experts are optimistic Social Security will be OK.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/22/what-debt-ceiling-woes-could-mean-for-social-security-benefits.html
Janet Yellen, on the other hand, not so optimistic apparently.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/congre...asury-brinkmanship-federal-budget-11632069056
But her article is behind a paywall, I only could read the first few paragraphs; it's hard to tell how scary she meant to be.

Personally, I'm leaving a little more debt on the credit cards so I have a little extra cash just in case, and otherwise not worrying about it. What do they say? The bullet you can hear is not the one that's gonna get you? I'll be glad when it's over, though.

thunderson5 said:
so fixing to head out towards quartzite the 6th of october sometime in the wee hours of the morning to start my full time boon docking adventure.but can anyone tell me if we have a gov.shutdown would i effect camping on blm land,i am thinking it might effect the long term places more as far as any services they might offer?really picked a scary time to start this since i am on social security and would hate to get stuck in the middle of no where with no money if they dont raise the debt ceiling,i am sure it weighs a little heavy on alot of us
I made the mistake of going down to Q in October on my first trip down. It was very very hot. Almost a hundred in the moho every day for a week and the nights were miserable. The last time I was down was in early November and I tried Ehrenburg by Bobs old camp area. It was 20 degrees cooler there being later in the fall. If you leave on the 6th drive really really slow. Good luck on your starting on your new adventure. Enjoy. If you can make it to Ehrenberg in mid November shoot me a pm. I'm interested in a Thanksgiving Dinner potluck. Only 7 miles to good grocery shopping in Blythe.

The date hou are stating of October 6th sounds like you might be heading to Pahrump to join one of the caravans associated with HOWA the non profit association associated with cheaprvliving?

If so then you will not be immediately headed to Quartzsite but instead camping on BLM land further north in more moderate temperatures. So do not let people spook you with worries about it being too hot. There will be some warm days but not as hot as Quartzsite. Also those campsites are not in the LTVA areas so trere is no trash or water service to get shut off and there are no fees to get collected. Of course no rangers will be around but if needed the local law enforcement will come in which they would do anyway when required. Same goes for the emergency services such as happens when 911 is called for medical emergencies.

I was traveling in Texas during the last shutdown a few years back, and didn’t have any problems.

I remember spending a couple of nights at the Visitor Center for Padre Island NS, with a half dozen or so other folks including some who had been there a week or more.

The center wasn’t open, but the pit toilets were and dumpsters were being emptied.

There was also a fresh water fill of some sort, if I remember correctly.

Ordinarily, overnight parking wasn’t allowed there, but it was a shutdown and a bit of a free for all.

I also spent two nights directly on the beach, always allowed, and if you haven’t had that experience it is pretty spectacular. And free.

I had decided I would drive down and get a feel for things, and if it felt unsafe I would leave.

It did not, and I stayed.

I think it is always good when traveling not to let yourself be right on the edge of any precipice.

Have a little cash stashed away, a few extra jugs of water, dog/cat food, a supply of shelf stable foods, etc., as natural and man made disasters can and do occur.

You should not live fear, but always be able to take care of yourself for at least a few days without prior notice.

Can't speak for all areas. But in California during the Obama era budget shutdowns BLM areas were open. They just didnt empty dumpsters or septic tanks in the scant few areas that even had those amenities. The National parks were closed. State parks were open.
My friend in the Forest service kept doing his job. "its not like the budget makes the trees stop growin".