Should I bring a bicycle to Quartzite?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikekuna

Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm a part-time van dweller (since 2018) who has long wanted to go to the RTR. I'm making that journey this year from Illinois, and I'm traveling solo. I have to admit that I have some anxiety as I'm a friendly introvert. In other words, I like meeting new people but I'm always afraid that I'm intruding or something. I have a fear that I'll be in a place with a thousand campers, but, I'll be alone. Crazy. However, that is a different topic.

I'm planning on camping in one of the long-term areas, if possible, and I was thinking about bringing my bike as I imagine that it is far from the campsites to the RTR activities and van parking is going to be very tight in town.

Is it reasonable to bring a bicycle and to use it to go from my van to the city park? I tried to search on Google and the limited comments that I found either said that it was too dangerous (traffic) or that it was a great idea.

Please offer your knowledge on this question.

Thank you
Mike

Having never been to the RTR, I can't say... but I don't think the usually camping spots are very close to town. Plus, there is a vast open BLM land all around that is much nicer. Having a bike would be useful for exploring I think, although I know that north of Yuma where I like to camp, the paths are often in sand washes which are very soft. A fatbike would be best I think for exploring... tires 4-5" wide, with low pressure.

Depends a lot on where you are camping and on your own physical condition. Plenty of people do bring their bikes. Several of the LTVA areas are within 2-4 miles of Quartzsite, including the city park where the RTR/WTR are being held, very reachable by bike. Hills are nearly non-existent. You do need a bike that can accept heavier tires, though. Lotsa rocks and rock pavements hereabouts! Sand is mostly in the washes.

If you are a mountain biker, plenty of recreational opportunity for that in the surrounding hills, as well as down here on the flat.

There are lots of large RVs using the roads, so you do have to be aware, but I don't think it is especially dangerous.

Last edited:
Stan’s tire sealant, a tire inflator and use an old cut tube as a liner for the thickest tubes you can find. You will get your exercise! The extra weight will make it harder to petal especially in sand so many use fat tire electric bicycles. I recommend a 20” folding step through frame. You will need to sort out how you will charge them. Maybe camp at the Pirate camp and see if you can buy some fuel for someone’s generator!

Is it reasonable to bring a bicycle and to use it to go from my van to the city park?
Not with street tires..... although you could make it work... the BLM area are rough gravel in most areas, and rising your bike on 95 is not recommended.

I used to be active on a motorized bicycle message board in the past. One thing I saw posted there....a statistic....that stated that mile per mile of travel, the most dangerous vehicle was a bicycle. In heavy traffic areas it's dangerous enough to even be a pedestrian.

If I were choosing to do this, I'd likely buy a lightly used folding bicycle and install a front wheel electric motor with battery pack on it. (less than $400 dollars)

Has Quartzite laid out bicycle routes leading from campgrounds to activity centers ? If not some City Planning may be worth considering.

One thing I saw posted there....a statistic....that stated that mile per mile of travel, the most dangerous vehicle was a bicycle.
Surprised, I've read that bikes are 2-4 times more dangerous per mile vs cars (about the same per hour), but I recall motorcycles being much more dangerous... link, maybe?

I used to be active on a motorized bicycle message board in the past

As I indicated that was some time ago. To compare it to other modes of transport there would need to be as many people riding bicycles as operating other vehicles by themselves.

If a car or larger vehicle carries multiple people and they are injured compared to a bike with one person, the figures will be lopsided.

Also, in past years more streets have been given bicycle lanes with signs posted for vehicle drivers to be aware of them. But if you are on a bike or motorcycle you will have less protection around you than you would in a metal bodied vehicle.

There are ATV tracks/trails along 95 but they can be challenging to navigate: soft and sandy in places, or rocky and rutted, or smooth as glass in some places. Traffic on 95 is heavy sometimes..so you may be forced to ride in the ATV trail along the highway. It is doable, I've done it, and others in our group have done it also.

Depending on how far you are camped from Town Park, and your fitness level, you may discover that the bicycle ride is not worth it. Or you might enjoy it immensely. But all the while worried about your unattended van.

Dont worry about the 'all alone' part, you will make friends quickly. Next thing you know, you will be sitting around a campfire telling (or listening to) stories with your new friends.

I remember during the Viet Nam years a politician saying more people were killed on bicycles than US soldiers one year! Guess I live dangerously as I ride my bike about 800 miles some years but seldom on busy roads. If I remember correctly there were several people from the wash that road their bikes to town once. It took most of the day as they were pretty far out and roads and trails were fairly rough riding.

Mike....I've been to 4 RTR's.......#5 makes the second RTR in the town park and easy to answer.......

BRING your Bike !............You can take your van/camper and park in the distant spaces......ride your bike in to the event...it's a great way to see what's up.......typical chain-link fencing provides docking/locking (limited bike racks)

When you arrive at RTR the FIRST stop is the Badge station............They ask your first name or your "Handle" and they write it down on a Badge and add the pin button backing and you're OFFICIAL

Let me offer you a friendly spot at Pirate Camp South LTVA......It is Pay-to-stay but you knew that.....We're close-enough to the vault toilet to satisfy the Rangers..........Lots of forum members.....Vans, Trailers, Class A....Class C's....cars ! Most folks are solo campers.......Campfires and good eats are guaranteed

We even manage to do some work................Welcome

I remember during the Viet Nam years a politician saying more people were killed on bicycles than US soldiers one year! Guess I live dangerously as I ride my bike about 800 miles some years but seldom on busy roads. If I remember correctly there were several people from the wash that road their bikes to town once. It took most of the day as they were pretty far out and roads and trails were fairly rough riding.
I've ridden road bikes ~200,000 miles. I think being visible is the best thing you can do... and just sensible about when and where you ride. Bright flashing rechargeable lights are cheap now and I use one front and rear at all times. It used to be that most fatalities were children, but kids hardly ride bikes anymore. Now it's mostly older men. Fatalities have been on the rise over the last decade, and for motor vehicles also. Driving while under the influence of cell phones is the likely culprit.

https://www.justgreatlawyers.com/legal-guides/bicycle-accident-statisticshttps://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6431a1.htm
m6431a1f2.gif

Scadden Wash is one of the closest short-term camping areas. If you camp there you'll be able to bike along the town roads where the speed limits are lower so it's safer. https://rvquartzsite.com/directory/categories/blm

For long term join the friendly folks at Pirate Camp. As other has said, it's a long ride along busy US 95 or the rough ATV trails to town from there. You can take your van to town. There should be plenty of space to park at the RTR unless it's much busier than it was last year. The days when Bob Wells speaks are usually the busiest.

I have balance issues while on me feet, a motorized fat tire trike is the answer, but being top heavy, it tends to tip on an incline when taken on an angle. Canopy helps keep the sun at bay.

Attachments

• SUNP0004.JPG
    SUNP0004.JPG
    501.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SUNP0003.JPG
    SUNP0003.JPG
    511.6 KB · Views: 0
Fat tires really help traction wise in loose sand and fat tires at lower pressures help on desert pavement to absorb bumps. Weight and petal resistance for me anyway would be a problem if not for the electric assist. Range suffers but having a spare battery gives you options.