Shopping and need assistance!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All
My name is Jenny, I am newly divorced and walked away from my share of a beautiful farm in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia in exchange for being able to start this new chapter of my life debt free.
I am leaning towards a 5th wheel but being able to drive a motorhome does have it's benefits ( I don't have easy access to a vehicle able to tow a 5th wheel)
Currently I don't plan on traveling that much, but that could change in the future. Plus I am a musician and the idea of being able to use it as a tour vehicle is alluring.
I am looking at these two types in the central Virginia area:
a 98 Aero 25ft

http://danville.craigslist.org/rvs/5859468627.html
and a 1982 Chevy C30
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/rvs/5839869253.html
My budget is about 3K
I'm not in a mad rush, just starting to do my research.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Jenny

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Jenny!

Deciding what vehicle is going to work best for you will rrequire a lot of thought and hypothetical pondering. I'd be looking at everything available and how each vehicle is going to work if you...

Do you have a vehicle for a daily driver? Is it towable?

Lots to consider. don't rush into anything.

Of the two you posted, I prefer the Class C. But it seems pricey. I'm not a fan of Travel trailers. But, I do like 5th wheels

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

You won't be getting anyntraiker praise from me, not a fan of pulling them, parking them, or anything about them.

The Class C looks to be in decent shape but check it over carefully for water leaks. New interior paneling screams "WATER LEAKS!!!!"

Dave

Welcome aboard Jenny !
I don't like to give advise from a distance in case it's not good....
Whatever you end up with , hope it is the perfect one!

I have a 23' class C but probably could manage with a smaller one.
I will say have a trusted mechanic check it out before closing a deal.
AND do look for leaks inside cabinets , around all windows and anything that goes through the roof like vents air conditioner and TV antenna , and especially in the cab over area in a class C.

Happy trails and hope to cross paths one day.........

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm headed your way in just a few days, doing the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way south! Made it as far as northern PA today!

Both of those look like they may have surprises in store for you.

Learning what to look to avoid surprises takes time. How much of a rush are you to be gone from the current situation?

jezzabellajenny said:
Hey Jenny, 

Im currently looking for a home on wheels myself,  I think I would prefer a van, easier to stealth camp in if the need arises. 

I am totally new to this myself, I have not left everything behind yet, nervous , scared even. I have been stocking up on things I will need though. 

If you are not going to travel, what are your plans? I'm not being nosy, just curious. 

I will keep an eye out here for you,  I'm personally looking for an older Chevy van, 80s to 90s . :D

I wish you happiness and good fortune. Maybe we will cross paths. 

Sincerely, 

Wolf

With the info you've given, I'd second those who say go for a class C
Trailer towing, even with a fifth wheel, will never be as easy as just starting your 'house' and cruising down the road
I wish I'd been able to swing a class C, as my Ranger won't pull my Travel trailer very well in hill country, but I had different circumstances

cyndi said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums, Jenny!

Deciding what vehicle is going to work best for you will rrequire a lot of thought and hypothetical pondering. I'd be looking at everything available and how each vehicle is going to work if you...

Do you have a vehicle for a daily driver? Is it towable?

Lots to consider. don't rush into anything.

Of the two you posted, I prefer the Class C. But it seems pricey. I'm not a fan of Travel trailers. But, I do like 5th wheels

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for the response! My regular ride is a 2003 Toyota Corolla. Not sure if it's towable as it is automatic?
I wouldn't be traveling hay much in either rv- which is why the 5th wheel has its benefits for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost There said:
Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm headed your way in just a few days, doing the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way south! Made it as far as northern PA today!

Both of those look like they may have surprises in store for you.

Learning what to look to avoid surprises takes time. How much of a rush are you to be gone from the current situation?

Not a mad rush- which is why I want to take my time and do the research. If I end up with a 5th wheel my end goal is to customize it into a tiny home sort of dwelling.

Hi Wolf
Thanks for the support! My plan is for the most part stay in the area where I've been for the last 21 years as my job and child is here however I am hoping to be able to go on month long excursions here and there (which is why an rv with a motor could end up being beneficial)
Researching how to work on the road for supplemental income, I'm pretty rad at photography so that may be one avenue for me...
Good luck with your search!
Cheers

ArtW said:
With the info you've given, I'd second those who say go for a class C
Trailer towing, even with a fifth wheel, will never be as easy as just starting your 'house' and cruising down the road
I wish I'd been able to swing a class C, as my Ranger won't pull my Travel trailer very well in hill country, but I had different circumstances

I'm not planning to do much cruising in any sort of camper I end up in. Plan on parking for a few months at a time at the most and if it ends up being a 5th wheels even less