Seized axle or brake? HELP!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherterr

Reaction score
Okay... so today (after a couple of reschedules) and waiting seemingly FOREVER the RV mover showed up to move my Fifth Wheel to my other (paid off) property on the tiny lake.  Yay..
PROBLEM:
He couldn't get this damn thing to BUDGE!  WHY AREN"T MY WHEELS TURNING? (It has been stationary for three years and on essentially, sand)

Personally, I thought he maybe should have dug a little better around the tires, but surely that big duly (which he said for the first time ever, his trans mission warning light came on) AND the neighbor brought over his tractor and it would budge for him either.

They're coming back on Saturday, and said this is a FIRST for him/them.
What are they gonna DO???  I'm scared I'll be stuck here forever, my property sale will fall through.. ARGH.. HELP.. All advice, sympathy, etc. greatly needed!!:):)
THANKS, Y'all.. I'm so bummed. :(:(  And... bewildered.  (I had a dream about this... going badly, I mean.. only in my dream the whole RV fell apart when they hooked up the truck)  *sigh*

first check the break-away switch. it's the little black box with a cable that attaches to the tow vehicle. if someone pulled that out it locks the brakes up. the purpose is in case of uncoupling while towing the brakes will lock up to hopefully limit damage. check this and let us know what you find. highdesertranger

[+1

I had the break-away line come undone on a cargo trailer one time. That sucker wouldn't budge an inch on me and my tow vehicle was blocking traffic...sigh!!

It took a lot of head scratching and a few choice words until I noticed that it wasn't connected.

It's unlikely that the axle would have seized up that badly in three years. I just moved a trailer that had sat for 7 years through summer heat and deep winter snow drifts and it moved just fine....yeah, I was a tad nervous about it so I called in some help just in case.

Thank you guys...
HDR: The guy DID think it was the breaks at first and he DID pull the little black plastic thing out on the wire, and replace it. (??? It was IN it's place) Do you think he made it worse? or ?? I just don't know..

AT: Thank you for the vote of confidence. "I" don't believe there should be ANYway in three years either. Good to have some experienced opinions.

At least I'm not 'freaking out' as bad with you guys to talk to!!:):)

Is it possible for brakes to get 'frozen' from Just Sitting? RV has been NOWHERE but here for 3 years.
I mean.. yeah.. this thing would not BUDGE. It was wigglin in place and his tranny was givin him warning lights!

AND.. if frozen.. what does it take to get them UNfrozen?

ok, so next are all the tires locked up or just one? what you need to do is to hook it up and do not plug in the trailer wire harness, remove the positive connection(s) to the house batteries. does it have a small battery on the tongue? if it does disconnect the positive on that too. see what happens when you try to move. if you still have lock up. check the wires going to the brakes at the brakes make sure they are dead. if they are dead jack up a wheel and try to turn it let us know what happens. btw you can actually hear the electronic brakes put your ear by each wheel you should hear a hum if the brakes are energized. on brakes with new magnets you can actually hear this from feet away. highdesertranger

^ what he said.

A professional RV mover should know what to look for.  If he is confused, then he must be green.  

Worst case.  Pull the wheel off, and tap (  :D  ) around the drum with a big hammer.  then try moving it left and right.   Sometimes it takes a few rounds to get things unfrozen.  I have seen frozen brakes that were a real bear.  Make sure you use stands to keep the unit from falling.

I have no idea, and I will copy paste this and give it to the guys when they come back on Sat.!!
That sounds really hopeful, tho HDR:):):)

What if they do all that and it doesn't turn? Call a wrecker... with.. a really. long. trailer.?

This is so darn irritating... I'm only moving it TWO FRIGGIN BLOCKS!!! grrrr.

Got smart and HDR have the right idea, while it would be weird as hell for the axles to freeze up, I've seen brakes lock up from being rusty pretty quick, first do the system checks HDR mentioned, and if that don't do it try beating the hell out of whatever drums won't turn and see if they don't let go
I'm honestly surprised the moving guys didn't do that already

highdesertranger said:
ok,  so next are all the tires locked up or just one? I have no idea.
 what you need to do is to hook it up and do not plug in the trailer wire harness,  remove the positive connection(s) to the house batteries.  does it have a small battery on the tongue? This is a big ass 36.5 Fifth Wheel... It has a house battery inside the front basement thing.  I don't know about smaller batter on tongue?  Sound like you mean a bumper pull..?
 if it does disconnect the positive on that too.  see what happens when you try to move.  I'm printing this and hope to heck they show up with some TOOLS this time.  The boss man got
out of state, and sent his left hand guy. ::) They are BOTH supposed to come next time.
if you still have lock up.  check the wires going to the brakes at the brakes make sure they are dead.  if they are dead jack up a wheel and try to turn it let us know what happens. I offered use of a big house jack today but was turned down.  In all fairness.. it IS HORRIBLY Hot and they're really doing this via a referral and are extremely nice.
 btw you can actually hear the electronic brakes put your ear by each wheel you should hear a hum if the brakes are energized.  on brakes with new magnets you can actually hear this from feet away.  highdesertranger

Should I expect jacks and stands from these guys?  I mean, is that standard faire for RV Movin' guys?

I really think your brakes are locking up. is there any way before they get there to jack up a wheel and cut the power to that wheel? there are dollies that they can put under the wheels so they don't have to turn. but finding some on short notice, I don't know. highdesertranger

i put my money on the electric brakes being on

if not that then just buried in? was the truck in sand digging itself in? have your tires sunk in the sand 3-4 inches?

Gary68 said:
i put my money on the electric brakes being on

if not that then just buried in? was the truck in sand digging itself in? have your tires sunk in the sand 3-4 inches?

Yes, and yes.

o.k.,do what hdr said and make sure no power to brakes
look under the trailer,are your axles on the ground? if so your going to have to jack it up and fill under tires
if not,some shovel work around the tires and pull,if the truck cant get traction in the sand you might have to source a caterpillar with tracks and that will pull you out for sure

I've seen trucks that were stuck up to their axles in the mud for 20+ years, and get DRIVEN out!!!

Your brakes are stuck. It's that simple.

HDR and the others have it right.

HI... This is the first time I've logged back in... MOVING makes one horribly busy.

The big problem was mostly: he didn't dig the tire out good enough. The brake line was working, so that was the only other issue.

I only have one word: Dumbass.
He cost me three days of worry, and an additional thee hundred dollars to have an RV 'mechanic' on standby when he showed up later. Between the two of them, it finally got done! :)

what a dumbass, too bad you can't hit him with the mechanic bill for his stupidity