Seeking Chevy G10 Owners Build Advise

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
I have a 95' G10. For the sake of simplicity and limited skills, I cut my tongue and groove boards to fasten to the last rib (the one almost at the center of the wheel well). Had I not cut them they would have protruded past and made the build awkward, plus there's nothing to fasten them to given the arched void at the very rear, where the fuel dump is. That arched void is what I'm asking for help on. I have no idea what to cover or fill that. There is no rib immediately next the rear door and that surface is facing outboard with electrical conduit fastened to it. Perhaps I made an error in judgement on my build, I'll own it.

Are there any G10 owners that have encountered this? I'd like to see a photo of your build. Or is there someone who knows what they're doing that can steer me straight? I'm stuck.

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Driver's Side.JPG
    Driver's Side.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 11
Little late, but maybe you could have run the boards full length to the rear and just let the ends hang free, maybe some foam stuffed behind to dampen any vibration?

Or, you could just run some boards on an angle from the door opening to that last rib. That would waste a bit of space, though.

Do you need to maintain access for taillight wires/ bulb replacement? Maybe you could make a panel to press fit into that location.

Those old G vans were popular with the custom van crowd. Maybe check out some car shows or vanner websites for ideas.

You could also look for older conversion vans in local salvage yards. See what the conversion companies did with that area.

Good luck

Little late, but maybe you could have run the boards full length to the rear and just let the ends hang free, maybe some foam stuffed behind to dampen any vibration?

Or, you could just run some boards on an angle from the door opening to that last rib. That would waste a bit of space, though.

Do you need to maintain access for taillight wires/ bulb replacement? Maybe you could make a panel to press fit into that location.

Those old G vans were popular with the custom van crowd. Maybe check out some car shows or vanner websites for ideas.

You could also look for older conversion vans in local salvage yards. See what the conversion companies did with that area.

Good luck
That's a great idea with custom websites, you're right. Your panel idea was mimicked by my brother and will work if I put the bed width wise of over the gas chute (it can work as a garage area). Thank you.

You can also develop a "cabinet" of sorts in that space.......the Left Side board follows the existing rear door frame......the Right Side is a vertical board (1"x8" ?) perpendicular to the paneling.....scribed Plumb and cut tight to the panels....maybe attached "invisibly" to cleats inside on the ends of the boards

(Edited to add that the Right board could/maybe fasten to the ENDS of the paneling simplifying scribing)

Shelves could connect Left and Right....for clothing storage and such.....no need for a cabinet "back"

Or Solar components could mount to L-R slats with wiring runs behind....Wires running In/Out...
........Organizing the chaos

Could also add a Faceframe.....Door

Last edited: