Same State Snowbirding?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantRobertson

Reaction score
In another thread, PeaceTara mentioned that many vandwellers migrate back and forth between Quartsite, AZ in the winter and the Flagstaff, AZ area in the summer. In this manner these people are able to live in areas with tolerable weather for the entire year while staying within the same state, thus saving fuel. It occurred to me that this would also make many of the government, health care, or otherwise bureaucratic stuff that people have to deal with much easier to, well, deal with.

So, I am starting this thread for people to suggest and discuss other snowbird migration patterns that may lie within or mostly within a single state. Please tell us the state, the migration pattern you suggest and why.

Thanks.

Georgia: The southern part is fairly decent in the winter time while summers can be spent in the mountains'

North Carolina: somewhat similar although it would be more East-west and the climate on the coast isn't terribly mild. But some people like cold.

I think if you find temperate states with elevational differences, you would find cooler summers but the winters are the questionable part.

Utah might be alright, St George is warm in the winter and the mountains should be cool enough during the summer.
Colorado is definitely a no go unless you are fine with occasionally dropping near 0F in the western valleys. in the SE corner of the state winter temps are warmer but there's little to no public land.

I've heard of New Mexico being done with their state park pass, varying elevation with the seasons.
California would be doable.

I've met several people who do live year-round in New Mexico, as blars mentioned. They go north and/or higher in elevation in the summers. Some of them are campground hosts in the NM state parks, while others have the annual pass.

Idaho.

I spent 18 months living in Boise, 2 winters.  It never got cold, I rode my bike to work all year.  In Boise, you can golf and sky the same day.  It gets hot in Boise, but drive 30 minutes up Bogus mountain and there's snow on the ground.  Idaho has the nicest people I've ever met.  It has the bluest sky I've ever seen.  It's a paradise.

I walk into the department of motor vehicles, and there are no customers, just 2 women who work there.  They took care of me in no time, which is why there is no line.

My car got stolen in Chicago.  The title was in the glove box, which they stole, and the Idaho license plate was removed.  I got the car back, and went to the Illinois department of motor vehicles.  They told me I had to go to Idaho and get a title.  I called Idaho and explained my situation.  They asked if I had access to a fax machine.  I said yes.  They faxed me an application for a title, and sent me a new title overnight.  It's like nothing I've ever experienced, they actually WANT to help.  The whole state is like that.

Oregon is doable year around. It seldom freezes hard at the coast but it does rain a fair amount in the winter. In the summer time, I think there are about 10-15 days that it tops 90° in the Portland-Salem-Eugene areas. That's when you head for the coast or mountains. I gotta admit that the gray and rainy winters get old. The east side is much more sunny, but gets hot in the summer and much colder in the winter.
So Oregon weather isn't ideal for a lot of people but I would say is passable all year, if you don't mind rain.

I must have higher standards for the weather I want to be in than most of you. The only states I would consider to fall within an acceptable range winter and summer are California and Arizona. In both of them you can camp at sea level (or below sea level) and up to 9000 feet in the summer.

And they are both very dry. Wet heat and wet cold tremendously amplify their total affect on you. I spent a year in Asheville, NC and I wouldn't consider living in a van there in the winter. That damp cold just cuts right through you. Down on the flatlands the humidity would kill me in the summer. I'd live in Alaska again (very dry cold) rather than there.

Utah and New Mexico are both very high states, I don't think anywhere are they below 4000 feet, way too cold for me there. Same with Nevada. Pahrump is at 2500 feet and I've spent the winter there. Way too cold--never again!

Oregon for the good year-around weather? Never!!!

I'm looking for good, pleasant weather, not survivable. I did Alaska for 6 years already!

The ideal is to open it up to the entire southwest CA, AZ, UT, CO, NM. There you have the greatest accumulation of natural beauty on the entire planet and decent weather somewhere in it year around.
Bob