safford

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderson5

Reaction score
anyone ever do any camping around safford arizona?thinking on going there to camp if its still to hot in quartzite and is there a walmart?

Safford is only around 3000' in elevation. Weather will be mid to upper 90's daytime and 60's at night.

Google maps shows a Walmart. I have not been there or camped nearby.

Thunderson5: Are you still in Roswell? Have you camped much in NM?

There are quite a few free or low-cost campgrounds in western NM. For much of the summer I stayed at several on or near Rte.180.

Datil Well is only $5, Apache Creek is free, Cosmic CG is free, there are a couple of free CGs north of Silver City also. I stayed at the Cherry Creek CG.

There are others,too. You should check out freecampsites.net:

https://freecampsites.net/

Check out the NM state parks also.

A few years ago, I stayed overnight at Hackle Rd near Safford. It's BLM land. It's east of Safford along US-191. It was quiet there. Safford is not far from I-10 to the south.

To get to Hackle Rd. one makes a turn off of US-191 heading south onto Haekel Rd., then going straight where Haekel veers left.

Google Maps:
Turn right onto Haekel Rd
1.1 mi
Continue onto Hackle Rd

At the end of Hackle is an area which is a seasonal water reservoir, there is an interesting grouping of dragon's teeth to break up any overflow. That area near the end is used for shooting practice. There are sites along Hackle well before that area.

Safford's forecast for Friday, 2021-09-17 is a 68 low with 98 high. Saturday has the same temps.

Quartzsite's forecast for Friday, 2021-09-17 is 77 low with 100 high. Saturday is 73 low and 99 high.

Similar highs, but cooler lows in Safford.