RvNaut

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rV Naut,...Highdesertranger passed away. His memorial service was held in Quartzsite early this winter.

rV Naut,...Highdesertranger passed away. His memorial service was held in Quartzsite early this winter.
..and I knew that.. I just wasn't paying attention... thanks for a clue bat.. ;)

.............Is that your new paint job ?
Nope.. the same one I got when I bought it.. you just never wandered down to my camp site to see it... :p

..gunna move to Lovell Canyon this week... when r u headed north? It'd be nice to cross paths..

Did you see I started a Discord Channel for Nomads? I called it "TheFire".. not for all, but as bandwidth becomes less of an issue, voice chat will push into the communication realm of the nomad...

https://discord.gg/tdcgTudUKz

Have you ever heard juvenile Ravens ?? A family lived near me and every spring/summer, as the kids grew up, they would go through a period of rowdiness. They make some interesting noises....

Out of the desert and into the Mountains ( Gandalf) ... I have moved on to the Coccino National Forest... it is a very nice and welcome change from the heat/dust/dry/wind, although the air up here at 8000' is a bit thin... ;)

I left Parhump on May 4th and landed in the Coconino NF for a few days, then moved North to just under the GC for 10 days, then 2 days in an rv park( cheater!!) . This morning I roused myself up at 4am and made it to Hopi Point for Sunrise... just wow.. and then I made my way out the east side of the park, which itself was a nice drive with two stops at overlooks. etc etc .. shot more video footage... ( so much backlog!) and made my way south to Flagstaff for $203 in gas for 2 5 gal cans and the thirsty beast, then over to wally world for grocery pickup, and then made it east a bit to settle into a $25 a night state park , plugged in!

that GC... worst case of errosion I have ever seen!

Looks like Leadville for the hot summer... ;)

It has been warm the last couple days in southern Utah with high wind warning for tomorrow, be careful traveling!

Made another jaunt today down into the Apache NF, just this side of the AZ/NM border.. only about 20 miles of Interstate and a run cross-country though some stunning scenic areas... gosh Wally.. it was glorious... now settled in for 5 nights at a $5 a night NF park.. huge trees.. spotty internet with bad sight lines to the North.. ;) ( soon viz to Starlink sats will be a part of boondocking reviews)

Well... it has been a few weeks. I am now up in Colorado as so much of NM and AZ are shut down.. I wanted to take 2 to 3 weeks to get up here, but just did the 630 miles on one day and pulled in last Thursday at 1am. The past 3 weeks were composed of highs and lows. The highs were so much good music at the blues fest and staggering scenery... the low... Daisy crossed the rainbow bridge .. complete Kidney failure... it was a rough few days....

Dust - even here in the NF my fellow humans just do not possess the common courtesy to not drive 50mph and not raise up massive dust clouds that float over all the campsites.... ugh... I really really have grown to have a severe dislike for people and in particular loud obnoxious off road vehicles.. so many humans have so little respect for the People, let alone the Earth.... it makes me sad.

10,000 above sea level. Things get weird. A massive increase in UV is noted, along with the sun being even more dangerous than down in Q with so much less atmosphere to filter out the rays that burn. Yogurt will spit in your face when you open it, so take care. Leave an air gap in your water jugs, if you fill them at lower altitude....

Going Corporate.. I guess it had to happen... HOWA has gone full on corporate.. can't make HOWA flag to to display to let other nomads know you are in that tribe because it might be misconstrued that it is a HOWA approved gathering opening them up to legal yadda yadda... you can't share a video of a song about being a nomad on the HOWA FB page, because it is perceived as promoting someone.. It is a shame to see it become what it is... the spirit of it.. is hurting... and yes .. it had to happen... maybe it should have been left rag-tag and unorganized...

fwiw.. here is that video of the song... Charles sent it to me on my birthday, and it touches on the life we lead.. what hurts is that I tried to give back to the community, to share this song... Charles isn't rich or a star... my posting his video wasn't and isn't a sales pitch, but a gesture of giving back... and was just spit back in my face without any consideration of the content or the intent. Corporations can suck.

Just found this thread...trying to catch up!

Great pics and vids. I've not seen them all yet but the video of you tromping around in the snow in your driveway, (in Maine I think?) looks really 'homey' from what I can see of it.

But then again, I love winters in the pines and crisp, cold air. A fire in the woodstove. No wind. Quiet as a churchmouse outside. Very little road traffic. You can see your own breath.

Looks like heaven to me. Why would anyone leave?

No tornados, no 105f days, no 3" hail, no 75mph hot dry winds like we have this time of year.

I guess it's all relative.

:cool:

Great pics and vids. I've not seen them all yet but the video of you tromping around in the snow in your driveway, (in Maine I think?) looks really 'homey' from what I can see of it.

But then again, I love winters in the pines and crisp, cold air. A fire in the woodstove. No wind. Quiet as a churchmouse outside. Very little road traffic. You can see your own breath.

No tornados, no 105f days, no 3" hail, no 75mph hot dry winds like we have this time of year.

Snow.... shoveling it, driving in it, keeping it out of the house and off the driveway.... heating in winter on SS when fuel costs $4-5 p/gallon.. falling on ice you can't see under snow.... then there is the mortgage and taxes .... it was untenable.. if you jump to the beginning of my RvNaut YT channel.. there is more to know.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAcrWtJqfJZFeQ6fnZIH9RA
and then there is the RvNaut FB page... lol

https://www.facebook.com/RvNaut/

Going Corporate.. I guess it had to happen... HOWA has gone full on corporate.. can't make HOWA flag to to display to let other nomads know you are in that tribe because it might be misconstrued that it is a HOWA approved gathering opening them up to legal yadda yadda... you can't share a video of a song about being a nomad on the HOWA FB page, because it is perceived as promoting someone.. It is a shame to see it become what it is... the spirit of it.. is hurting... and yes .. it had to happen... maybe it should have been left rag-tag and unorganized...
I think you may be getting the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous and HOWA mixed up. The RTR was started in 2010 by Bob Wells and even though it was rag-tag and unorganized Bob still had a need to protect his image and the RTR name so he would not have wanted anyone to fly an RTR flag at other gatherings.

HOWA was started in 2018 as a non-profit to help nomads. It's always been organized with rules to stay within government guidelines for non-profits. HOWA manages the RTRs now so they must be more organized.

The HOWA facebook groups are places to share and help fellow nomads but they are not typical facebook pages where anything goes. Memes, links to other pages and social media, political and religious discussions, and off-topic subjects are generally not permitted. I'm sure that you have a lot of information that you could share so I hope that you will try posting in the group again.

.... I love winters in the pines and crisp, cold air....
Looks like heaven to me. Why would anyone leave?....

Snow.... then there is the mortgage and taxes ....
I winter in Minnesota and travel in the summer because I love winter. The only thing that bothers me is the short days/long nights and moving south won't solve that unless I go far south.
Paid my mortgage off while still working but taxes are another matter, my property tax has more than doubled (inflation adjusted) in the last 10 years. Taxes are what will probably force me out of my home.

You've never experienced the Maine State bird, the black fly? Or been swarmed with mosquitoes, deer flies and greenheads? Never experienced mugginess so thick you can't breath? Or pollen, for that matter. Can't walk in the woods unless you spray yourself down with insect repellent or treat your clothes with permethrin because of the tick borne illness Lyme disease. No views to speak of because the trees block the view. Roads curve all over the place and they all go north and south, not east and west. No flat fields to farm, and if you find one, it's full of rocks. Summer tourists plug the roads and buy up all the coastal property so honest Maine fisherman can't afford to live near the water. Foreign developers buy up all the woods and post it so fisherman and hunters can no longer share the land.

I wouldn't live anywhere else, but after spending my first Winter in AZ and NV, I get the attraction for warm, arid, open spaces.

I think you may be getting the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous and HOWA mixed up

The HOWA facebook groups are places to share and help fellow nomads

I am aware of the history and the changes. I do not confuse the two and I already got the corp answer... my comment stands... HOWA has gotten impersonal... it is not what is was...

Go look at the video... it is simple... it is not promotion.. it was a sharing of sentiment, that had someone actually listened to it, might have decided differently... my intent was to share something very much in tune with the HOWA lifestyle and mission...

I'm done.. with HOWA and their FB page for now... When you try to give back and it gets tossed back in your face, it has an effect... and agin were I trying to promote or advertise or spam.. it would be understood.. ..

anyhow... they aren't going to change, that was made very very clear... and despite how appropriate the song is to the lifestyle, it isn't allowed...