RvNaut

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched the vid. I appreciated your honest discussion about the circumstances surrounding your journey to nomadism and the inquisitive thoughts about your future. It's not an easy situation, but it looks like there should be light at the end of the tunnel. The real estate market is weird right now, and that probably means potential opportunities for the right buyers and sellers alike, as you discussed. I hope you get a very good price for the house, and I hope you find your dream rig soon and she serves you dependably! Here's rooting for you and looking forward to more stories and content.

MG1912 said:
I watched the vid.  I appreciated your honest discussion about the circumstances surrounding your journey to nomadism and the inquisitive thoughts about your future....  Here's rooting for you and looking forward to more stories and content.

It is intensely daunting...   thanks for the support.. ;)

Sofisintown said:
Well JJ,  you can always put all the stuff you are planning to take with you in storage, then sell the house.
Then buy your RV, and go by the storage and load them up.
You might have to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights, while you finalize the RV, but that shouldn't be a problem.

It will be a logistical juggling act for sure...  one of the issues I am encountering, is that more often than not, the two rigs I am looking at are more often found on the west coast,and I am about as far east as you can get...  but as I say... I don;t need to make that decision yet, so I will put it in the the "think about it later bin"... My assumption at this point is that I will load up a moving container, and either store it locally or meet it somewhere out in the middle of the country somewhere...  :)

it's been a slow week.. very hot here in Maine.. 90's in the days.. although a few days ago it got down to 50 at night.. so that helped.. Had a good meeting with the Realtor a few days ago, the net result will be a decent cushion/emergency fund and perhaps a better RV to begin with.. I setup the script for the step two vid over the last few days and finally recorded it today and started the edit.. still a bit slap/dash for now, but as I go along I can add more "production values"... hopefully I will finish the edit soon and do the 6 hour upload... ;)

Hello All...

I got down to it yesterday.. spent about 45 min recording and 5 hours editing... finished at 3am.. ( bad , not am all groggy).. it is amazing how much time it take to edit even a simple video.. :D

Join me as I talk about how I came to decide what rig will work for me...

cheers!!

Awesome video!  The less stuff you bring with you, the freer you will be, and the smaller (and cheaper/higher-quality) you can go with your rig for your money.  It's good that you have time between now and a potential closing on your house (good luck and I hope you get a bidding war or someone who falls in love with the place).  This is the time to cull in your mind -- what can realistically be sold, what will have to be tossed, and what can come with you.

Bob Wells and others who have lived this lifestyle successfully for years talk often about how their lives have simplified.  You do see channels of people in Airstreams and Class A's, but I am under the impression that a lot of those folks are traditional retirees or mobile tech workers, and there seems to be a lot of money and leisure involved in their lifestyles; a key component of the "cheap" part of cheaprvliving is simplification and reduction.  Every item in the rig should ideally have a demonstrable usefulness to your current life.  Of course, that's easier said than done, and we all have our photos and a few things we can't part with.  But I think that has to be within reason because the rig has to carry every ounce onboard, and every ounce requires that much more space and translates to an effect on gas mileage and wear/tear on the vehicle.

It will be hard, especially since you have passions like music and a lifetime of belongings, I would imagine.  Good luck!  Again, I hope the house sells for the highest price, and I hope you get the rig of your dreams and she serves you well.  Can't wait for more vids and content.  For example, I would be interested in your story, i.e. where you came from and where you are going in this new nomadic life, if you care to tell it.

Thanks... part of this is.. to shed what is just sitting there... freeeeedommmmmmmmm!

In the watching of those Thousands of videos I have noted folks that .. well they do not live simply... they live in extravagance...

It will be very hard... When we die, we let go of everything.. and of course it isn't something we can choose at that point...

I have never felt freer than the time spent on the road, on my motorcycle for weeks...  my life had been a bit ... tortured... a video for another time... and I am ready to .. in a small way .. find myself after years of living to be someone that I was not... :) .. no, that's not it.. I have found myself... now I need to live that way..

Cool vid! Would love to hear more about your path to nomadness. You mentioned needing to sell the house and not liking the rat race, but why did your path lead you to nomadness?

I would say that you might want to consider seriously thinking about paring down and trying a van or a Class B. Does that sound at all doable? You have probably seen that most folks here are in smaller rigs. The Class A RV you are thinking about will be expensive (if it is in good shape) both to purchase and to drive/maintain/repair.

The reason I bring this up again is because I admit I got some red flags from your videos, specifically the mention of a potential dedicated home office space, music studio, Class A underneath storage... in a recent thread, even a chainsaw. I realize you are thinking out loud in the videos, and you may decide on something else, and there's always things that are interpreted wrong (by viewers like me), etc. But I get the sense that you're thinking of ways you can take a lot of your old life and stuff with you on the road. If that's way off base, then I misunderstood your videos.

Since you discussed food banks and money being tight in this last vid, I would say that trying to take a good portion of the stuff from your previous/current life in a large rig is going to tax the wallet (and thus nerves) even more.

I think the freeing aspect of this nomadic lifestyle is in subtraction and simplification. Having very little stuff in a van or small camper is half of the freedom of this lifestyle, if you ask me. I don't know any budget-conscious nomads who are taking their lives and former hobbies with them in a Class A. I know one who tried, and he is currently broken down at his sister's home in CA. His V10 rig gets 4MPG. So even when the thing is running well (which isn't always), it's killing his budget. It is true that you don't have to move much in the desert in the winter (25 miles every 14 days or so), but getting to the desert could cost an arm and a leg...if the rig makes it there.

One sees lots of aspiring members here talk about "needing" their entire 50 years of arts and crafts gear, plus 3 dogs, etc. in their rigs, and it's clear they are trying to take their old life with them. I doubt this is ever successful for even a year unless they're trust fund babies. The first breakdown in their Class A's on BLM land with their 2,000 lbs of art gear and their 3 dogs is probably so hellish an experience that they stop nomading. I don't think I see many of the experienced nomads here living like that.

YouTube and blogs abound with techie nomads in Class A's, but I think that they are sponsored and have tech incomes (often 2 tech incomes).

You may find that one of the best moves you could make right now would be to start seriously culling or at least mentally preparing for it. For someone in his 60's who has lived a long time in an S&B, with a lifetime of passions and hobbies, and who is now planning to go nomadic... if the subtraction process doesn't hurt, it's probably not being done right.

Every type of on the road living has advantages and disadvantages. I think a for a lot of people their skill level, amount of space they need and where they want to go are usually the determining factors. A 3/4 ton van or Class B probably is not enough space for things other than regular living, sleeping and eating. A 3/4 ton or larger truck pulling a cargo/camping RV type trailer is probably the only thing large enough other than a Class A. Unless you are able to simplify your living style and adjust how you get to where you need to go smaller situations just don’t work very well in my opinion and can actually be more expensive than other options.

Many good points in prev posts... all taken to heart

In my current S&B setup I have 1200 sqr ft... I use the 3x3 area where the computer is.. a 3x5 area in the kitchen. the bathroom and the bed... I cycle between these 4 spots and the rest of the space is a place for stuff to be and a path to the four living spots... Over the last two years My existence has taken a very small and simple footprint.

If it were not for the ability to file for SS next summer, I would not take this path. If it were not for the ability to sell my home and have enough funding to make it happen, I wouldn't/won't do it. My recording gear wouldn't fill a small tote, my music collection will fit on one hard drive (two fro safety sake) I will sell the awesome turntable and my home stereo including the awesome 1979 Genesis-II speakers... I imagine kitchen gear will take some room.. .lol... the one of everything kitchen,and only one... :D

I really do not think I will have an issue with volume of stuff, but am prepared to be proven wrong.. remember.. I packed and lived on a Motorcycle for weeks at a time on a couple of occasions.... I already know how to live small and simple... and unless I am monetarily forced to, I will chose to live a bit better as I approach the eventual end on my existence...

My "home office" is basically the same space I will use to video edit, record and mix/master... it takes no more space than the desktop computer will.. fyi I am a computer tech and build my own...

I absolutely agree that there some folks in the full time RV world that.. well let us say they don't exactly have money issues... they don't live with in constraints, and they never seem to end up having to suck it up.. they always find the solution that saves the day without having spent a ton of cash, ....... and then there are those that have heavy sponsorship.... some in this nomad clique look to be making some serious money with their channels.

The maint $$ difference between a class C and A is negligible given a std engine configuration. At 6'4" I am not designed for a class B or a van.. I want to be able to stand up and swing my arms a bit.. when I sleep it is often on my stomach and I take up a good 7 feet when doing so.... I prefer a shower head not be poking my rib cage.. ;)

.. a van is just not enough physical space..... a van does not have enough room for a fair sized solar array/charger/controller/batteries... there is a weight consideration too.. A's carry a lot more than C's.. C's tend to have less extra capacity than A's and they offer no advantage other than the "van front end" over an A.. gas mileage isn;t better, and there is less space.. I will give you that suspension and drive train will take more upkeep, but this is the only area I can see at this time where a C has it over an A. a 24'+- C class has the same wheel base and ground clearance as a shorty A .. ( and man are there some seriously Loooong class As out there.. )

Also understand that when I say Class A, I mean one of a 158" wheel base and shorter than 29'... and aiming for a 24'er.. which when compared to a Class C, offers a lot of advantages and no disadvantage... now then.. once you exceed the 158" wheel case.. yer screwed... turning radius, rear overhang, added weight etc etc etc... so when I say Class A .. don't think Leviathan, think class C with a full front end instead of the proboscis hanging over the cab ( that will leak and be a pain in the ass) ...

I predict that no matter how well I prepare.. I will not be prepared. One cannot fully prepare for an experience one has never had. I am doing all I can to mentally cut the path, but until I am walking the walk.. it is all talk.

So that brings up being realistic and not being a "pie in the sky" dreamer... The big unknowns will be the health of the rig and the health of me. In buying a used rig, it will be a crap shoot.... hopefully I get the one owner dream that that seller wants to go to a good home that will care for their baby.. that is the aim and that is what I am putting out there... Having done gobs of homework on buying used and being a bit of a handyman, I think i am better prepared than most.. I have changed a car engine out with hand tools. I have reroofed a house and installed skylights.. I have R&R a forced hot water heating system in a house. I have built a two flue chimney, I stripped down a motorcycle and installed additional fuse and ground blocks and wiring loom.. I have built hundreds of computers and repaired thousands... I've plugged tires...my job history includes work with metals.plastic and rubber parts and peices for Industry .... all that said.. I think I am well prepared for the challenges of RV living.... and for the challenges of known unknowns and the unknown unknowns...

Like my prep for my previous Cycle trips, i have been exploring every avenue of thought process I can find... My biggest known is engine trouble. Most of the rest of potential mechanical issues should be able to be ID'd and sorted in advance... bad tires should never be an issue that catches someone off guard.. a proper inspection of all systems will ID many of the potential issues....

The hard point for a class A is finding the right shop that will work on it as evidence dby many posts that address this issue. To me, thi sis the only real *Gotcha* for my choice of vehicle....

cheers

15 years ago after following the George and Tioga web site my wife and I after researching several years previous purchased a 1983 28’ Barth motor home we found on Barthmobile.com. It was 500 miles away but several club members reported good experiences with the seller who was a farmer in Pennsylvania that kept his migrant workers on year round by restoring Barth motor homes over the winter months inside one of his large barns. The motor home was an aluminum body on a Chevy P 32 chassis (454 cubic inch with 400 turbo trans) air bag suspension and Howard Safety Steer optioned out with 50 amp service, a 7000 watt generator, two roof ACs, solid cherry interior, two twin beds and a rear bath(love the floor plan but rear bath water lines were hard to keep from freezing in below zero weather. Roof had been resealed and the whole coach painted with the new epoxy paint used by the airlines. It had had a valve job and the engine resealed but like most engines like these the new top end caused it to use a quart of oil about every thousand miles. I bought it for $11,000. The only problem I had with it was the starter would heat soak after about 500 miles of driving and have to have a fan cool it down for 20 minutes before responding to the key. It wasn’t really a problem as it had two 50 gallon gas tanks and got 10 MPG or 8MPG towing. On moving day we would fill up first thing and not shut it off till we were at our destination. It was wonderful to travel in with the generator and oversized tanks and at 28’ Natural Bridges National Park was the only place we couldn’t fit but boondocking was near by. We put 50,000 miles on it in about 3 years. Once we quit traveling the motor home was a pain and costly to maintain, gas would go bad, rubber parts rot and generally we needed storage space where the drivers seat was. We felt we had gotten our money’s worth so we basically made an apartment out of it parking it permanently. If you will be staying months at a time in one place I would recommend a 3/4 ton truck and trailer which is much cheaper and easier to maintain. We also have one of those now as well as a 4x4 truck with a topper/ camper for more remote places. I would highly recommend reading the old posts on George’s site if it is still on the web as he died a few years back. You are right that Class Cs can be problematic but so can cheaper Class As especially mechanical wise. A pickup is in my opinion a much better option in most cases due to ease of repairs, but who knows you may luck out like we did. Good luck!

After watching some of your videos I believe you will not find a shower or bed that you will like without modifying and would be much better off custom building a cargo trailer. You have some skills and are able to plan out what you need. Most motor homes after sitting most their lives need lots of repair. Mine at 110,000 miles and sitting 3 years I figured would need between $7,000 and $11.000 worth of parts and labor depending on how much labor I wanted to do. With an older motor home you will end up working on it while trying to live in it going down the road, not a good situation. I would much rather work on a pickup or get it easily repaired in a shop and build out a 7’ tall cargo trailer custom fit to your needs. If you don’t like it l will trade you an old motor home for your trailer! Lol!!!

I actually found the model to solve my issues.. .. The Safari Trek line...  Bed disappears in the ceiling up front and shower space is vast.. It offers the living space of a 35' RV in a 24' package..

Given all the videos I have watched.. I don't want to pull anything.. toad or trailer.. and price wise.. I don't think I could find a Truck.Trailer combination that would be as dependable... or any more dependable than a used anythin, given the variation is longevity one encounters in used anything....

...and speaking of how they are built... most trailers I can afford are chip board laminate slap together that just do not age well. Converting a Box Truck/Cargo hauler means potential registration and insurance issue.. the Trek at least has a bit more to it's frame as well as being aluminum framed and skinned..

Part of the challenge with my choice of RV is there just are not as many out there.  I also assume I will have to rehab various parts and systems on anything I buy used, especially over the first year... tires.brakes.suspension.this.that.poly.wolly.ding.dong.  and being I will be buying used everything.. it really is a crap shoot... with a trailer there up all that many more tires to go bad... modifying for trailer brake hookups ... sway and loading balance issues...  theft potential.. more lights and system to maintain .. two complete chassis to care for..

I do understand the issue if I can't live in it while being repaired, however I will have a tent, a Big Mama bag and a moped along.. I've camped before, I can do it again.. nfp..

Here is a floor plan layout
2001-Trek-Schematic.png

Attachments

• 2001-Trek-Schematic.png
    2001-Trek-Schematic.png
    420.9 KB · Views: 46
I really like the layout of the Trek but you seldom see one for sale and I seldom see them in the park. I usually notice short Class A motor homes. We see some pulling boats that have been lightened up to tow more weight. They can usually be bought cheaper than 1ton trucks but we still don’t see many. Reviews I believe said they didn’t like making sure everything was clear when operating the bed up and down but a very minor compromise. My wife was concerned one of us would be bed ridden while sick and areas of the motor home wouldn’t be accessible while the bed was down as well as where you would sleep if the mechanism broke.

One of the sure things with this life style is, and I said this in my first vid I think.. "there will be compromises"....  the MajicBed giveth and it potentially taketh away.. :)  I revert to the Big Agnes bad if need be...  I polled a Trek user group and 25% report issues with the bed over time.. so there is that possibility, but given the pluses of not hauling a bedroom around i think it could be a wash.. there are literally no other designs out there like this.

As for ones for sale.. there are 10+ for sale around the country right now.. several that would be prime candidates were I ready to pull the trigger..

There are short A' and similar length models out there in C as well, but they all consume a large area for the bed and as I say, it just seems like a waste of space ....

..also will note that it is me myself and I ... so having to account for someone else won't be an issue   :D

Just so you know my wife has saved me more than once from making mistakes in our 44 years of marriage. So 2 from 10,396 is 10,394 but they were big ones! Lol!!! Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Owner groups made a huge difference for us when looking. Motor home is great if moving every couple of weeks but when it sets for months is when the problems begin and a trailer makes more sense.

bullfrog said:
a trailer makes more sense.

Another thing I don't care for in a towable is .. not knowing what is happening with it while you are on the move... stuff could be crashing around inside ( yes if I secured right it wouldn't) ( and yes there are monitors) and what with a cam on the back of the tow-ee and a cam on the back of the tow-er.. to many cams!!

also will note the "pull over and pee" maneuver is way easier in a self contained vehicle.. ;)

I will also be on  the move a lot of the time, but also staying max in areas that allow such.. my longest planned stop will be if I score a host position at a Nat Park..

the whole process of the setup and tear down upon every move with a towable... just looks like a repeated pita.. versus .. raise the jacks or roll off the levelers and go in boon docking situations

another huge advantage tot he Trek is the size of the black, grey and water tanks ...

note: I do appreciate the feedback.. I try to be my own second guesser