rv with 110volts power on all winter long

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchie

Reaction score
Hi, I have an old rv which I have ''winterised'' in my back yard in winterland (eastern Canada) and I was wondering if I could let the power on all winter long ? This would enable me to be able to work on it once in a while during the cold winter. I could use a small 110 volt heater to heat up the area whenever I want to work in it. Just wondering if this could be dangerous in anyway, or perhaps wearing out some electrical components.

Thank for your help.

We have a 1983 Barth motorhome(a top of the line motorhome in it's time) with a stock 50 amp system that we have had on shore power for 10 years using 3 ceramic cube heaters and water trickling all winter long, some winters with the temperatures in the single digits with no problems other than a rear toilet supply line freezing. Mice and other factors could cause problems but in the end it is your decision.

You (the OP) left out the important fact of whether there is a converter/charger, is it the old style trickle charger type, will it be charging a battery, whether or not someone will be able to check the battery water levels, etc.

If there is no battery, and the converter is switched OFF, with the rest of the outlets hot or live to power an electric space heater now and then, you should be OK.

I maybe way off but I thought the OP was just asking if it was Ok to leave the RV connected to 110 shore power throughout winter. ??

It's probably best to unplug the RV, and only use power (plug it back in) when you are inside, wanting to work on it. We keep our TT plugged in all Summer, with the fridge running, and the A/C on low, so on hot days, we can spend time in there...but not the Winter.

Well, as long as it's not parked too close to the house and it's insured then I'd go for it.

The caution as mentioned, would be when the lil critters move in cause it's occasionally warmed up inside and they start chewing on the electric's behind the wall and it burns to the ground.

just my 2¢

Peppermint oil on cotton balls will repel mice. I found out after a mouse peed on the wiring of my 4x4 f 150 plow truck & the insurance co. totalled the truck & paid the mechanics bill. I just kept storage insurance on it for $50. There was no heat on & from my flying I know mouse pee will ruin an aluminum aircraft & the pee will eat right thru it. Bad news. Amazon sell other mouse deterants also.

tx2sturgis said:
Yes, and I count 3 replies to the OP's question.

Thanks for clearing that up,  :thumbsup:  Forgive me, I'm only new to this game.

Rokguy is right... I was just asking if there would be  any issue on leaving the rv connected to the 110 volts current. in fact, following all the replies I got, I won't do that !

thank you all !

Don't let others scare you. It's not like your RV is parked over the hill and through the dale, and you'll never see it.
Keeping it above 0C would be nice. Otherwise you will have to remove any liquids, etc.
Some things in there might not react well to long term sub-zero C temps.

I lived in a 15' camper for a year and a fifth wheel for four years, both in the same RV park as my home base.  It was plugged in the entire time.  Most of the 60+ other RVers there were plugged in for years.  Nobody had any problems.  It's done all the time.  I would be gone for months at a time in my van and always left it plugged in to keep the batteries charged. I had a surge protector at the power pole (50 amp connection) just in case. 

When I was "home", I checked battery water level every month or so and rarely had to add (distilled) water.

I think leaving it connected to shore power would be the better thing to do as long as you check on it now and then.

As for mice, yes, I did have a few in the underbelly, always in the fall.  I cleaned everything with bleach water, stuffed every possible entry point with a metal shards infused foam, set traps and poison in the underbelly space (never caught anything).  Ran rope lights all around on a photocell dusk to dawn thing.  Had one wire chewed to the awning lights.  Fixed.  No big deal as long as you keep an eye on things.

I wouldn't leave a space heater on unattended.  Plugged in with everything off (fridge, furnace etc) the power draw will be minimal. Just enough to keep battery charged.  In your climate, I may be tempted to leave the furnace on a low setting to protect electronics (TV, etc)?  Don't know about that.

Hi stargazer, thanks for your reply. I guess in your case you were not living in a cold temperature area. Here in eastern Canada, it gets very cold, but the reason I asked that question is simply because I was ''too lasy'' to remove my aux. battery. I would have let an 2 amp. charger on all winter long, so the battery would not discharge, and also would be able to plug any device inside the rv if I would work inside. But will not do that... Even though I still think it wouln'nt be unsafe to do that.