RV Stops (like Truck Stops)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VagabondWahine

Reaction score
I'm always coming up with business ideas. I only lack the capital to start them. (Ask me sometime about my themed senior rest homes idea.) 

On the women's Facebook page, Suanne shared her experience of finding a bathtub at a Truck Stop. That set my mind thinking: what if current Truck Stop owners expanded into RV Stops. I understand that most truck stops allow (grudgingly) RVs to park, but we must be prepared for "stink-eye" from the truckers. 

What if there were separate businesses catering to the RV-ing community (full-time nomads & weekenders & vacationers), along commonly used routes? I can think of some creative and interesting ideas for such truckless stops. One would be huge, unlighted areas, patrolled by security, for overnight stays by all types of RVing rigs. They could include gas & diesel pumps, clean showers & baths, WiFi & large-screen TVs (for The Big Game, Rose Parade, Weather, etc.) , maps, RV supplies & repairs, solar installs, heathy food menu, hair salons, (you get the idea).
I'm also good at thinking up business names: The Happy Camper, The Welcome Mat, RV Haven. OK, I'll stop.
Is there anyone else who'd like to see such a place?

your experience with truck stops and truckers is totally different than mine. never felt unwelcome at one. never got the stink eye either. I talk to them all the time, a little friendly conversation goes a long way. highdesertranger

Some - not all, of the Flying J's have separate parking for the RVs away from the truck parking area. I use them exclusively because, even though I don't need an RV spot with the van, I know that they've got a larger parking lot. If need be I can use satellite imaging to check the size of the parking lot.

Have I ever been given the stink eye when parked near oe in the commercial transport parking area- not at all. Have I seen other RVrs get the stink eye - oh yea!

The reason I don't get the stink eye and they do - I deliberately park where I'm not going to be in their way when they are trying to navigate the parking lot. I don't take up a commercial parking space, I find some little spot where they won't fit or don't need. I've seen large RVrs actually block the lane in a gravel parking lot (it didn't have lines drawn) - transports were having to do some fancy back-up, turn around to get out of the lot because of this one RV. No wonder some get the stink eye, I'd give that RVr one too... :rolleyes:

It is a great idea but the capital involved would be astronomical to say the least :) but if you could sell that idea to a monster company you might get some great income from it????

We never got stinkeye from truck stops :)
we used then all the time. we use rest stops also all the time.

we sometimes use very close off the road cheap campgrounds as a quick stop if necessary or we just boondock our night.

IF YOUR rv stops were within reason positioned on on major roadways YOU WOULD be a trillionaire in a heartbeat :) but finding locations, buying real estate, laws/permits/zoning etc would be a fantastic nightmare, only something bigger corporations could handle....like an established company like Flying J, Pilot, Loves could handle.

as a regular old person to even try to be a truck stop like Flying J, Pilot on a big scale isn't doable.....being a person doing 1-2 or 3 of these in a specific location would be wonderful but would it be profitable and could one even afford to do it?

heck a small campground to open is like over a million and more like 2 nowadays :) so...…

but yea we would stay IF the cost was very low....like pay by the hour? I stay 6 hrs to sleep while on the road then I pay $6 to stay plus maybe $5 to dump if needed but I can use all the other amenities???

but my 6 hrs to sleep while traveling at the truck stop is $0.

AND you must have a 2-3 day tops limit to stay or you become a trailer rv trash dump probably.

a lot to think about but yea, if it was everywhere, where I traveled I would stay at one and try it out ONLY if the price was right. After that I very choosey how I spend my money :)

just chatting out ideas on your ideas!

The place would go broke in the off-season. RVs by definition tend to be seasonal per location.

Where ever it would be located, there will be an off-season...except maybe some coastal areas where land is quite expensive and the locals will likely go all 'NIMBY' on the proposal.

Up north the off-season would be the middle of winter....down south the off-season will be middle of summer.

Most travel stops like Pilot/Flying J, Loves, and TA already have areas for RVs. And they are technically 'travel centers', catering to all motorists and commercial trucks. Many of these sell bulk propane and provide dump stations, neither of which are needed by commercial trucks.

Even a 100% dedicated RV stopover MUST have truck access...fuel and food has to get there somehow!

:cool:

A truck stop is just that a place where trucks stop and I don't mean Pick-up trucks. I leave those guys alone they have it hard enough. Like above stay out of the way and no problem. I can think of many other places I would rather pull into.

RoamerRV428 said:
We never got stinkeye from truck stops :)

Most 'travel centers' and 'truck stops' welcome the business, as long as the shorter RVs, vans, etc, try to avoid the longer truck parking slots. A van or short RV taking up a valuable 70 foot long parking strip at night in a crowded truck stop is quite annoying. 

The longer RVs that park in the back area in the trucks-only areas are an issue for some professional drivers because these RVers often have other overnight options and are not tightly regulated by DOT. Commercial drivers have limited availability of overnight parking, and the closer you get to populated areas, the worse it gets.

Thank you for replying and giving the pros & cons. You are right...the off-season issue would be a nonstarter. Perhaps more of the existing Truck Stops, beyond Flying J & Little America, could see the advantages of catering to RVers (van dwellers, car-campers). I was simply thinking of what I'd personally like to see: clean showers, services for women, RV-repairs, a quieter, restful atmosphere, and healthier food. I agree that a time limit would need to be enforced. The fees would need to be cheap, as there are plenty of pricey RV parks already.

Most important, as some have stated, is staying out of the way of truckers. If the current owners would set aside a designated area for RVs, this problem could be resolved. Without clearly marked section, there will be that one thoughtless person who blocks the big rigs. (If I were a teamster, I'd knock on their door at 3 a.m.)

Again, thanks for humoring me for my wild ideas. (I do still think my themed rest homes idea has legs.)

Check out Escapees.com you will even get a hug at some. They are usually located in areas where they can direct you to any services you might need with good references.

bullfrog said:
Check out Escapees.com you will even get a hug at some.  They are usually located in areas where they can direct you to any services you might need with good references.

Took a look at their website and read part of their info kit. Seemed to be geared to people with actual RVs. Do you know if more unique, unconventional homes-on-wheels (cargo vans, cars, skoolies) would be welcomed?

Some parks did require you be self contained in order to stay overnight. At the time we worked at one and used their parks we were traveling in a 20 year old motor home, but I did see some tent campers and hybrids pass through that I doubt were self contained, at any rate everyone was really nice to us and treated us well even though most were traveling in much nicer RV's. I would simply call ahead or stop by and ask at park along your way. We stayed at Rainbow's End in Livingston Texas over a winter, I really liked the Sunday Ice Cream Social, and volunteered to do some cleaning of restrooms in the buildings in return for a space. They also have a care center that you can volunteer at for as little as a month at a time I believe in exchange for a site. Really nice people at least at that park.

I hope I never need a themed rest home!!!!

I plan on dying out on the road way way way way way way way into the future! :)

I’ve got many miles coast to coast in my one ton truck pulling canoes and kayaks. You idea is appealing alright. I’ve got my list of truck stops that I’ll stay at. East coast I’ve had good luck staying with people I know. While I’m not quite as long as a truck I’ll usually park with them especially if boats are sticking out a bit. I always worry about them getting hit.
My two favorite with RV parking are Perrysville Ohio Flying j by Toledo and the flying j in South Beloit, Illinois.
The pilot in Columbus Montana has good parking by trucks, but ever try shaving with those facets that turn on by motion... haha! I know Bob... just quit shaving. Haha!

As a recently retired OTR trucker of 12 years, let me pass on some truck stop etiquette. Park at the back of the lot. Truckers run on elogs and are time limited often with hot loads. The prime spots should go to the drivers unless you are paying for a reserved spot. Park straight. Don't put out slides unless you want to take the chance of having them knocked off by a less experienced trucker. Don't tie up the fuel islands, get your fuel and get going. If you are in a smaller rig, try to park around the perimeter and save the big spots for truckers. There is a guy with a Tundra and bumper pull trailer parked by the Flying J in Bakersfield for at least a year. No-one minds because he's out on the road & he keeps his area & rig clean.