RV repair

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLB_SA

Reaction score
My youngest brother has a 2007 Damon Outlaw 3611 toy hauler and has been a full-time nomad for 8 years.  One of my middle brothers convinced him to follow his 4WD truck up a winding dirt road.  The middle/side of the RV got stuck against the side of a hill on a steep upslope.  They had to dig out some of the hill, attach a heavy chain to the RV and the combined efforts of the RV and the truck managed to free it. The RV needed the tow to get up the steep slope and the roughness of the dirt road caused the RV to whipsaw on three occasions.  The engine and transmission are fine but they don't know if (or how much) damage to the frame exists.  Going from 10mph to an immediate full stop wedged in a hill is probably not good for the frame.  This happened a few months ago but I just heard about it.  The RV is now parked in an RV park and does not seem to have any leaking or other issues but my (youngest) brother prefers not to drive it very far or very fast.  I suggested that he buy another Damon Outlaw (or a Thor Outlaw) and use the current one for parts but a used 2007 Damon costs $40K to $60K and this is too much for him right now; a new 2021 Thor Outlaw costs $235K.

Any suggestions?  I wonder if steel cross-braces could be welded to the frame to stiffen it.  I can't imagine straightening the frame of a 37 foot long RV (press ?) but I've never owned an RV and have never tried to straighten an RV frame.

So did he have full coverage insurance? My first call would have been to the insurance company as they may have shops they work with to access frame damage. Probably any large truck repair garage that does alignments and will work on RVs can make a determination and evaluate frame straightness. Maybe call the RV dealership or a school bus garage and ask who they use for alignments.

I don't know what kind of insurance he has but thanks for the suggestion.  I have read that a semi can have its frame straightened and aligned for $1000 or so.  Any idea if this is close to accurate?  (I just texted my brother offering to help him with the cost if he can find an inexpensive solution.  If his insurance will help, he might not need my contribution (because insurance never tries to stiff its customers :rolleyes: ).)

Sorry, it has been many years since I had to worry about straightening a frame. I would think that if he had to borrow money to buy it the bank would require full coverage insurance. Like you said they are selling for $30,000, cannot imagine not having coverage. Even if he doesn’t an insurance adjuster might give you a referral to a shop they use.

bullfrog:  Thanks for your comment.  I think he bought the Outlaw with $60K-80K cash in 2010 or 2011 but I might be wrong about the details, including cost, dates, any financing, my name, the date, etc. :D  (I suspect that he would have contacted his insurance agent if he had full coverage but I don't know.)  He lives far from me and while I have taken many trips of 1000-2000 miles at the drop of a hat, covid keeps me stuck at home.

Well good luck, my 1983 Barth 28’ motorhome hasn’t moved for at least the last ten years and has made a great apartment type place for us to stay 6 months of the year, but the frame is still straight! Lol !!!

wow that was quite the tough adventure for him!

I would have the frame checked then if damage I would contact insurance.
I had some tough rv repairs, our ins. always paid in full and did what was needed. RV service is expensive but well worth it when you truly need it. Our tire blew and our 40ft 5th wheel toyhauler took massive rear side damage to the tune of near 8,000. That tire just ripped apart the whole back side, ugh. But once fixed good as new so yea, hit a big truck repair or rv service and get it inspected for damage, if lucky got away with no damage? would be nice!

The camper will be all fine if the frame of the camper got fixed. The insurance company will surely manage this cost otherwise it will be a good option to get it fixed and then rent out the camper for small trips. It will help to manage the cost or save the cost to purchase better parts. Another option is to get the camper fixed from any workshop and make a deal with the owner of the service center for commission if they help you sell the camper.

Putting the cart before the horse. You say that you don't even know if there is any damage. I would figure out if there was any damage before worrying about how to fix it.

My youngest brother has a 2007 Damon Outlaw 3611 toy hauler and has been a full-time nomad for 8 years. One of my middle brothers convinced him to follow his 4WD truck up a winding dirt road. The middle/side of the RV got stuck against the side of a hill on a steep upslope. They had to dig out some of the hill, attach a heavy chain to the RV and the combined efforts of the RV and the truck managed to free it. The RV needed the tow to get up the steep slope and the roughness of the dirt road caused the RV to whipsaw on three occasions. The engine and transmission are fine but they don't know if (or how much) damage to the frame exists. Going from 10mph to an immediate full stop wedged in a hill is probably not good for the frame. This happened a few months ago but I just heard about it. The RV is now parked in an RV park and does not seem to have any leaking or other issues but my (youngest) brother prefers not to drive it very far or very fast. I suggested that he buy another Damon Outlaw (or a Thor Outlaw) and use the current one for parts but a used 2007 Damon costs $40K to $60K and this is too much for him right now; a new 2021 Thor Outlaw costs $235K.

Any suggestions? I wonder if steel cross-braces could be welded to the frame to stiffen it. I can't imagine straightening the frame of a 37 foot long RV (press ?) but I've never owned an RV and have never tried to straighten an RV frame.
My suggestion is, *have a "Structural Inspection" done to it with a "written report" included by the "Inspector". ( that will help with the decision to go back On the road ) and the "roadworthiness" of the vehicle.