RV maintenance costs per year

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunDance57

Reaction score
Nomads, 

I am getting ready to buy my first Class C. I was wondering if anyone had a handle on the yearly maintenance cost for a class C. I know it depends on age and all I can afford is maybe a 10 to 15 year range. Is there a thread discussing this or does anyone know? A ballpark estimate is all I need for planning. I can get the insurance cost from AAA.

Thanks
SunDance

Obviously it depends on the age and condition of the used motorhome.

And it will depend on how it was previously used, and how you will use it.

Lots of driving? 20,000 miles a year?

Then you have more maintenance cost on the chassis and running gear.

Boondocking mostly, with only a couple of thousand miles a year of driving?

Then your chassis maintenance costs probably will go down but the coach systems will need upkeep, repair, and replacement just as much if not more, than if you traveled more and stayed in mainly moderate climates.

So...yeah like bardo said...hard to quantify.

But, you DO need to have some cash in reserve for any un-expected repairs.

bardo said:
Hard to quantify

Yes, I would think it would be. I just wanted to know what kind of trouble I may getting into here.  Buying an older RV, like an older truck you may have to be ready to sink money into worn out systems. In addition, I hear that RVs are built kind of cheap and do not last long.

The lower end RVs tend to be built more cheaply but...many of them can last for decades...(with good maintenance and maybe a new engine or two)...

Some are now 50 years old and still cruising the highways.

There is no way anyone can give you a specific cost amount.
When you get your rv, go over it from the roof down. Reseal the complete roof if needed, check the vents and vent covers
for cracks, and replace the vent covers or complete vent as needed.

If the rv you buy is more than twelve years old, pull all of the windows and reseal them.
The most important thing is to make sure the rv is water tight.
Everything else can be fixed or replaced as needed after that.