Roof Indentations-Using Foam Board

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm using foam board to insulate my roof.  I lucked out and the thickness fits perfectly beside the ribs, however I'm wondering about the indentations in the roof (the opposite side of the aerodynamic "ribs"-I guess that's what you'd call them-that run lengthwise when you're looking at the top of the van from the outside, phew sorry I made that hard).
To restate-there's a skinny one inch wide gap every foot going across the width of the roof that the foam board obviously can't fill as it sits flush to the rest of the roof.  I'm doubling up to have a R-value of 6, so is this a huge discrepancy that I should be worrying about? Or should I glue wool, fiberglass, or some other type of insulation to fill in.

I wouldn't worry about them. BTW they are there to stiffen the roof. Highdesertranger

The foam board provides insulation from the thickness of the foam board. I bet the air gap will provide more insulation and where the foam is in contact with the metal, less insulation. Gaps between the foam panels will have no insulation.

Cut slices of foam board and glue it to the edge of the adjacent piece of foam board to make it the width you need.

highdesertranger said:
I wouldn't worry about them.  BTW they are there to stiffen the roof.  Highdesertranger
Thank you for replying to both my threads.  I agree, I think I'm worrying too much on the insulation.
Joe

maki2 said:
Cut slices of foam board and glue it to the edge of the adjacent  piece of foam board to make it the width you need.
Thank you for the idea.  I actually going to let it be.

Weight said:
The foam board provides insulation from the thickness of the foam board. I bet the air gap will provide more insulation and where the foam is in contact with the metal, less insulation. Gaps between the foam panels will have no insulation.
Thank you for the wisdom.