ROFL! Van reverse SD, CA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a lot of people who could easily change that transmission. Or... just push it if needing to get out of a tight spot?

yep needs a transmission. a transmission person will try to get this as cheap as possible(offer 400 bucks) throw a trans in and flip it. highdesertranger

I bought a pickup that went great in reverse but nothing in forward. I drove it 10 miles home using the mirrors at 30mph on a sunday morning & never met a car.

I know a mechanic near me that has been buying vehicles like that for years and he will flip them and makes a decent profit off of them.Because they end up buying them dirt cheap off of the seller.

i had an old 73 merc sedan that ended up with no reverse. i drove it like that for quite a while before i got creative with a solution. made sure i pulled into spots i could pull through or was flat enough i could push it our backwards by myself. that was abeast. the things we do when young and broke

Since we're telling stories, I once had a Jeep Cherokee that **twice** had the clutch go out when I was up in the mountains. First time, master clutch cylinder, second time slave clutch cylinder. Clutch pedal going right to the floor. No shifting of gears.

The first time, I drove 75 miles back home, 3 miles on 4-wheel drive road, then freeway, and right into the dealer's back lot. Second time, I was only 56 miles from home and was going to the same exact trail head, and did the same exact freeway bit. When I got to the hometown traffic lights, it was touch and go. My passenger didn't sleep for 2 days after that. Don't try this at home.

When I was a kid, we had a VW bus. All of us kids had to get out and push the bus so my mom could pop the clutch and start the bus. We loved it and hated it when it got fixed and we were normal. Also my sister had a VW bug and the gas pedal broke. I remember being on the passenger floor and working the pedal by hand while she drove the car home.

A few years ago I was looking for just such a deal. I had a '91 Dodge van that the body was getting pretty bad on but the tranny was still excellent. Never did find a suitable candidate for a swap so I bought a Ford.

PODebbie said:
When I was a kid, we had a VW bus.  All of us kids had to get out and push the bus so my mom could pop the clutch and start the bus.  We loved it and hated it when it got fixed and we were normal.  Also my sister had a VW bug and the gas pedal broke.  I remember being on the passenger floor and working the pedal by hand while she drove the car home.
Good one, working the gas pedal by hand. At least she could hit the brake!

Push the bus reminds me, I was over in Germany in 1995, and had a newer car with dozens of sensors. In the winter it rained all day every day, and the car ceased starting in the morning, so I would park on a hill, roll down in the morning, and pop the clutch in 3rd gear. I took it to the shop, and it took them a week to find the problem. Every morning while there it started just fine, until one morning. They pushed it into the shop and used the diagnostic computer and found a flukey engine sensor. Loved the Autobahns, 160 KPH, shiny.

Here are several thank yous to the OP for not being so sensitive as to complain when people are telling stories on her thread. Some posters are sensitive about that. A lot of the time one might actually learn something helpful from other people's stories. Not always, but sometimes, :).

As a point of information I wanted to mention that, unfortunately you cannot start a vehicle with an automatic transmission by rolling down a hill in gear, although it might be a fun trip.

with the old GM Powerglide automatic you could push start it or should I say pull start it, because you had to be going 30MPH. you could also flat tow them. highdesertranger

Aha, 30 MPH on a "very" steep hill, maybe having a truck ramp on the bottom. Good one.