Rockwood E/Geo pro opinions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWKreis

Reaction score
Was hoping for some feedback from anyone who has done full-time living in in a Rockwood E/Geo Pro. In particular long term use wear and tear and systems reliability.  Particularly as far as use in snowbird boondocking. So will be winters in the desert summers in the Midwest and southeast. I realize all things mechanical wear and break, just some brands are more reliable than others. 

We are currently looking at a E pro 19fd. Any former or current owners I would truly appreciate any feedback that you could give. Thank you!

Current owner of a 2021 Epro 19QB but have only had it for a few months. Will be full-timing in it starting in the spring. Love it so far. Can't speak to long term wear and tear though but it seems like a solid unit so far. I think all brands have issues, bad units, problems, etc. It's somewhat the luck of the draw. I will say I have heard about more quality issues with pretty much all brands built during this last year of covid.

I would recommend joining some of the Facebook E-Pro / Geo Pro groups. There is a ton of great information in them, lots of helpful people, etc.

texas0322 thanks!

I know we have to order and wait for delivery however, any feedback is welcome. Best of luck with the new rig!

DWKreis said:
texas0322 thanks!

I know we have to order and wait for delivery however, any feedback is welcome. Best of luck with the new rig!
One thing I would suggest if you are going to order new from what I have gathered in those Facebook groups, do your research on the dealers and find one who is going to honor the price they quote you when you place the order. Seems about 50/50 on dealers jacking up the price on the unit when they finally get it in in 6 months because the price from the factory went up. Find a dealer who will honor their price when the unit comes in.

...full-time living in in a Rockwood E/Geo Pro. In particular long term...
Our hx:
After a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we built our ExpeditionVehicle and toy-hauler using a commercial chassis for each.
a)
My opinion:
* a factory RecreateVehicle is engineered for a few weekends annually.
This would be the 'Recreate' part of the category.
I think they are fine used-as-designed.
I think full-time live-aboard in a factory RecreateVehicle -- traipsing all over tarnation -- exceeds its capabilities.
b)
A search of the WorldWideWeb indicated a light-duty RecreateVehicle with a single axle.
We think tandem axles add stability and durability... plus another level of safety in case of the loss of one tire due to a blow-out.
Although rare, we hear stories about a single axle trailer experiencing a blow-out, then wrecking it and the tow-vehicle in a roll-over.
I know, I hear it all the time... "Oh, LM, you just like to spoil the fantasy.".
I would prefer to let everybody learn at their pace, but something inside me wants to shield newcomers from the storm with my nifty-neato super-hero umbrella.
Savior Complex.
c)
Do I think your proposed rig has potential as a starter rig?
Certainly.
Do I think you could benefit from the old adage I just made up?:
* avoid believing 'this rig is my forever rig'.
You grow, your vehicle needs change and evolve.
And we *absolutely* *no-compromise* would *NOT* go into debt for any RecreateVehicle.
Their 99% (ninety-nine percent) first-minute devaluation/depreciation is the deal-breaker for us.
This's also the reason we suggest first-time builders and converters:
* acquire an old beater
* toss in some car-camping gear
* go have fun.
Allow the conversion to evolve organically...
... the conversion of your rig, the conversion of you into a full-time live-aboard.
And you might 'luck-out'.
Your particular RecreateVehicle could be the one-in-a-million:
* constructed of the highest quality components
* assembled by skilled crafts-people with your safety foremost during each phase of assembly
* and new commercial-rated tires instead of ten-year old chinesium rotters.
Hey, it could happen...

Last edited: