Roadtrek demonstrates WATT Fuel Cell Technology

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John61CT

Reaction score
Direct generation from propane, no combustion

Pretty neat technology. 500 watts output in the same space my 2800 watt Onan takes. A LOT quieter though.

John61CT said:
Direct generation from propane, no combustion

Pretty neat....and no moving parts.   Don't fuel cells also produce water and heat at the same time (?)....could be a win-win-win if these prove to be practicable.   Also I imagine they are pretty much silent in operation--much better than annoying your neighbors with a noisy (and smelly) generator.

As people come across more details please post here.

They may have an exclusive with RoadTrek for a while, very good reputation there (but pricey)

so makes me hopeful will be sustainable and actually get marketed more widely in the next few years.

Yes, called Watt "Imperium" Fuel Cell, exclusive to the Erwin Hymer Group, will use as part of their EcoTrek[emoji2400] systems

Besides Roadtrek, EHG also makes:

whichAmerican Fastbacks, Buccaneer, Bürstner, Carado, Cliffride, Compass, Dethleffs, Elddis, Eriba, Etrusco, Hymer, Niesmann+Bischoff, Laika, LMC, Sunlight and Xplore

Yes only 500W output, costs around $5K at this point.

Roadtrek got eaten by Hymer. Hymer got eaten by Thor.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-buy-german-caravan-maker-hymer-idUSKCN1LY1NC

I've had two Roadtreks: 190P and CS Adventurous XL. Both in the shop constantly. Very expensive toys that, if they had not been shoddily made, would have been great rigs. Terrible design flaws and zero quality control. Nonexistent customer support. Jim Hammill, the creator of Roadtrek, insists he's still involved, until you try to contact him for help working out a problem. Forget it.

Thor has a long history of serious recall issues and poor quality control.

The fuel cell looks like a good solution...time will tell.

The Dire Wolfess

If you can afford a $100,000 RV, then a little extra for a fuel cell is simple bragging rights in the $100/night RV park.

Moxadox said:
I've had two Roadtreks: 190P and CS Adventurous XL.  Both in the shop constantly.  Very expensive toys that, if they had not been shoddily made, would have been great rigs.  Terrible design flaws and zero quality control.  Nonexistent customer support.  Jim Hammill, the creator of Roadtrek, insists he's still involved, until you try to contact him for help working out a problem.  Forget it.

I have only had 1 and I still have still have the same Roadtrek.  My 2000 Roadtrek 200 Versatile has been a very good camper.  The interior and storage could not be beat.  I could not find anything close in quality.  The closest was a Pleasure Way.  All real hardwoods and marine grade plywood and no shoddy workmanship.  The layout in mine is very ergonomic and we got it so both of us could travel 10 months a year.  Not happening now as my wife can't travel anymore.  We had a great couple of years in it though.  I will keep mine as long as I can keep it roadworthy.  When she passes I will continue in it as long as I am able.

I think the son took over in about 2003.  Haven't looked at any since I bought mine.  Maybe the later years went downhill as they tried to keep the price point down.  Dunno

i like the idea of silent and seamless operation. as a back up to solar, right now i use a 1000 watt gasoline ICE generator. i have to get it out, start it and then monitor it to shut it down for best use of fuel. plus the necessity to carry a can of gasoline just for the genny i rarely use. i already carry propane for cooking and occasional heat. my battery charger i run with this only draws 400 watts so this fuel cell would run it. and to have an extra 500 watts through the night if needed for AC or whatever.

if they were for sale independently and i had $5k discretionary income i would seriously consider one.

When the Efoy fuel cell came out a few years ago I figured it might spur some competition.
Nope...been years on the market, has a small niche following...proprietary jugs of alcohol just meant something extra to haul.

Also years ago I saw a home size model that was a joint venture with GE...sat outside like a central AC unit, hooked to the house natural gas line.
Excess power generated would be sold back thru the grid, a heat exchanger would help for hot water, waste water went to yer lawn.
Got no idea why that went away...made too much sense I guess. (or sumpthin to do with economics)

This propane unit will definitely need a lower price point, but at least its potential users will already be comfy with propane.

Just don't tell anyone that its exhaust is that evil 'pollutant', carbon dioxide. :rolleyes:

I did some searching but did not find the propane consumption per kWh or Ah for the Watt fuel cell. Does anyone have this information?

The Efoy methanol fuel cell operating cost is scary high, like ~$8/kWh. I’m thinking the Watt fuel cell cost should be a lot less.

That said, it would still take a lot of batteries to run an AC overnight with of these.

Interesting history of fuel cells at http://www.fuelcelltoday.com/history