Right kitchen, Left kitchen

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sofisintown said:
But I  AM putting a cabinet on the passenger side. As much as I appreciate some open space, I still need enclosed space to put stuff away. I can always step outside for openness.
Can you post a picture of your lay-out in your van?
But you ARE ... Remember in AZ in the winter, the sun drops at 5PM, so you're in the van for the next 6-7 hours before ... ... beddy-bye. The 2nd time you step on yer own toes whilst turning around, you'll know what I am getting at.

You can see my architectured layout in yer own van right now. I have the bed across the back like you, and I have the following computer desk where your cabinets presently are (note I checked and the desk is selling for $175-275 now, foo). The desk is 40" long, so slightly shorter than yours. So that's my entire minimalist build. My storage is under the bed (which is 4" lower than yours), under the computer desk, and in the passenger compartment. So sit on yer bed and look forward. That's my entire build. The rest is open floor space.

Here is a suggestion. Take some cardboard boxes the size of yer putative right-side cabinets, put them in there, and see how it looks. Visualize. Stroll down the aisle, like Brian. Hypothesize and Test.

Thank you Q! Now,  I feel  I'm doing it right! :D 

See, I'm one of those people, who think that you have to have  the (small) sink, the (small) microwave, the (small) fridge, all essential tools, the kite, the tarp, the potty AND a place to sit, sleep, shower and cook.
That's my minimalism.
I don't want to go crying back to s+b because I'm uncomfortable, if comfort is easy to achieve.
Ah, and being such as I am, I like things to also be pretty.
If the van is my crib, I have to take care of that, right?

Qxxx I locked my doors in the open position using a wooden dowel. I then used shower curtain rings to hold the tarp so I could use it as a wall when showering or a roof when flipped up and clipped to my roof rack. Be careful in heavy rain using it as a roof, you may get a shower before you want it. Lol!!!

Sofisintown said:
See, I'm one of those people, who think that you have to have  the (small) sink, the (small) microwave, the (small) fridge, all essential tools, the kite, the tarp, the potty AND a place to sit, sleep, shower and cook.
That's my minimalism.
Around these parts, that's what we call Class-A envy, too rich for us badgers.
.... .. .-- .... 
-- .- .. -. - . -. .- -. -.-. .

But in reality, I have all of yer S&B can't do withouts, except for the microwave and builtin shower (you overstretched there), and except they are in slightly different forms. Plus I have room to erect my folding chair.

bullfrog said:
Qxxx I locked my doors in the open position using a wooden dowel. I then used shower curtain rings to hold the tarp so I could use it as a wall when showering or a roof when flipped up and clipped to my roof rack. Be careful in heavy rain using it as a roof, you may get a shower before you want it. Lol!!!
Actually, when I was camping in La Posa last winter, I took the garbage to the dumpster, and there was a rather stout piece of metal rod on the ground. approx 3 1/2 feet long and with 4" arms on the ends bent at right-angles. Lo and behold, it exactly holds the side doors of the van apart, and with some good tension. 

I also have a bunch of those strong 99-cent magnets from Harbor freight and some strong spring clips too, to hold the tarp and rod in place.
https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-2-ceramic-block-magnets-97504.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-12-in-nylon-spring-clamp-69289.html

Qxxx said:
Plus I have room to erect my folding chair.
Timeout caught me before I could post this, but this is what winter living is like in my van.

Qxxx said:
Timeout caught me before I could post this, but this is what winter living is like in my van.

Impressive!
I could probably do this too, if it wasn't for the wheel wells! :p

Sofisintown said:
...all essential tools, the kite, the tarp, the potty AND...
I don't know about all that other stuff, but you definitely need the kite.  (Stick it in a cardboard tube now, before you forget.)

Nice work on the counters, BTW!

Thanks VanFan :D
Yup, the kite. Been sitting in a closet for over 5 years, and only used twice! It is in its own hard plastic sleeve and I'd have forgotten it if you didn't mention it, so thank you!!

Sofisintown said:
Yer gonna be amazed at how fast a measly 60 sq ft fills up when yer trying to stuff 1500 sq ft of S&B comfort into it. And yer world is only 2 steps long.

Good thing I never tried to be a salesman, cause no one ever listens to me, poor baby me. But we are always amused, nonetheless.

After considering the collective wisdom of the forum sages here, the kitchen is split.
Sink on driver side, cook on the passenger side, a semi-al fresco kitchen.
If it doesn't work, I'll re-work it.

For the time being, the countertop and the kitchen sink are tied down.
All seems ok, but for  the SMELL of all the varnish etc., which is horrific.  :s
The cooking side is still under construction.
Now I just have to make it pretty.
IMG_20200827_001019.jpgIMG_20200827_001244.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200827_001019.jpg
    IMG_20200827_001019.jpg
    660.9 KB
  • IMG_20200827_001244.jpg
    IMG_20200827_001244.jpg
    602.1 KB
Wow, they look cool...
But no, it is not the artsy-ness. I just thought it was ugly and boring as it was all square and straight. Besides, the other side was not square at all, so if it's going to be uneven, might as well go all the way. Right ? :-/

Sofisintown said:
. I just thought it was ugly and boring as it was all square and straight.
A reflection on my rig..LOL

You have done a great job and I am  glad to see you are moving it right along..and doing it ALL by yourself!

Beauty of a countertop.

Sofi's on fire. She fans her own flame.