Reliable van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
There are many people coming to this board who are in the seeking phase.   

The burning question for most is ... What are the most reliable vehicles out there.

After reading through these boards, I have changed my mind from an SUV to a van.   

In looking at vans, I want to know what are the ones that have the best records of repair?  Someone claimed a cargo van was the best in this category because they are built for commercial use and that means they are better built.  Any one with experience on this?

Some have said buy an old van cheap, and use the savings for new engine and new transmission.   Does this actually make sense?  Any one with experience here?

I read about a fellow who bought a van and had the transmission replaced in just a couple thousand miles.   He would not have paid that much had he known.  He indicated that the seller knew.   How does a buyer learn this?  How did the seller know?  

Like many people, I do not want a vehicle that is going to have major repairs soon after purchase.   Is it reasonable to require the full record of service on a vehicle?   I know I have never thrown out a service record on any of my cars, but maybe I am a bit odd that way?

So, what is the experience of the van dwellers here.   How long did each of your vehicles last, and how many different one have you been through during your life on the road?

I have had 2 cars since starting to live houseless.   I had an old Camry (1982) that lasted me until I gave it away in 2003.  I bought a matrix in 2003 and I am still driving it.  (260,000 miles now).   This is why I believe in Toyota, but...I  had complete control of maintenance and I was serious about maintenance.   Buying a used van (1000,000+ miles) means figuring  out a difference set of criteria

Van owners...what is your experience?  What do you look for?  What would you avoid?

All your questions indicate you should buy something new rather than old needing lots of repair. My many old vans needed unending repair, but I was able to do as it was needed. I like the window type passenger vans, as opposed to cargo vans, or worse, conversion vans. It is easy to block a window harder to install one. Any leading manufacture as Dodge, GM, or Ford will be the same choice. Many have their own preference and will condemn the others with-out real reason. I do recommend a 1 ton class usually indicated as 300, or 3500 or such 3 number.
I have traveled with a 1959 chevy in 1973, twice across the usa. An overhauled 1965 VW in 1976, looped Canada and the south usa. A 1973 Dodge 300 from 1989 to 2000. Between having a few class b campers. They were all old, some rust buckets, and needed lots of fixes on the way. More that one repair made on the side of the road. I'm building out a 1987 Dodge now. There seems to be no end to what needs repair. I must be crazy to not have a new van.

In the standard half and 3/4 ton categories neither cargo or passenger vans are "better" than the other.  Depends on YOUR personal preferences.  In the one ton category the cargo van may have a slight edge.
if you prefer Toyotas and your needs are minimal then look at Toyota minivans.  Several van dwellers are happy with them.  And your mileage will be far better.

VanKitten said:
Some have said buy an old van cheap, and use the savings for new engine and new transmission.   Does this actually make sense?  Any one with experience here?

I read about a fellow who bought a van and had the transmission replaced in just a couple thousand miles.   He would not have paid that much had he known.  He indicated that the seller knew.   How does a buyer learn this?  How did the seller know?  

Like many people, I do not want a vehicle that is going to have major repairs soon after purchase.   Is it reasonable to require the full record of service on a vehicle?   I know I have never thrown out a service record on any of my cars, but maybe I am a bit odd that way?

So, what is the experience of the van dwellers here.   How long did each of your vehicles last, and how many different one have you been through during your life on the road?

I have had 2 cars since starting to live houseless.   I had an old Camry (1982) that lasted me until I gave it away in 2003.  I bought a matrix in 2003 and I am still driving it.  (260,000 miles now).   This is why I believe in Toyota, but...I  had complete control of maintenance and I was serious about maintenance.   Buying a used van (1000,000+ miles) means figuring  out a difference set of criteria

Van owners...what is your experience?  What do you look for?  What would you avoid?

Regarding the guy who bought a van and had to replace the tranny. Had that happen 3 days after buying a truck...$750 more outlay...Damn it....

But I just recently have been thinking of "How to go about replacing the van I have" I was (And am still) of curtailing more expenditures (Spelled that right the first time trying! woooo!) and so I "Thought" I'd have $3K clear to put down on a $8-10K van then build on it.

Then it came to me "Why not look for a $1-2K van that runs and gets past DEQ and then BUILD IT UP instead?" I went out looking at my neck of the woods, here's the "partial" result:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5539688596.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5537665152.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5535167145.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5538972414.html

So, buy any of these, build them up or run them into the ground (Do SOME basic maintenance) and with the $$$ you have saved, buy a newer (Not better one possibly) van then.

After extensively perusing forums comparing Ford Econolines and Chevy/GMC vans I concluded that both tend to be very durable. There were quite a few stories of these vans getting hundreds of thousands of miles on them. (I'm sure you can find opposite stories as well.) I had the feeling at the end that the Econoline was a tad more reliable but that the Chevy/GMC drove quite a bit better and got a bit better MPG.

Otherwise I'll let you know in about five years. :)

How well any used vehicle is going to endure a new ownership is largely dependent on how well it was maintained and who drove it and how, rather than any particular brand.

Some drivers are either accelerating hard or braking hard and incapable of holding a steady speed. 200.000 miles of highways driving is pretty easy on a well maintained vehicle, 200.000 miles of mostly city driving by a poor driver is hell on the drivetrain.

Check to see how worn the edge of the brake pedal is. This can indicate the habits of the main driver. I had one Ex who was so bad at the gas/ brake gas/brake force emotions out through foot controls, that the edge of the brake pedal was worn down to steel in 40K miles, and that car's drivetrain was so loose and clunky by then that it was rather insane. She never got half of the expected MPGS, and blamed the car.
The body was in near perfect condition, but as a used car, that one would be a horrid choice.

If you have no mechanical knowledge, and are not willing to pay a mechanic to look any prospects over, it is really luck of the draw.

It was I who had to rebuild the transmission in 4K miles and 3 months after purchase. I've got 75K+ miles on it since rebuild, and many more thousands in other repairs in the ensuing 15 years, and it still is many fold cheaper than rent, or medical costs for the insane asylum if I was forced to live the stick and brick American nightmare of consumerist hell.

Best of luck in your search, but you can fall into a trap of finding a possible issue in any prospective van, and walking yourself right into that insane asylum. Dealing with repairs is part of the journey. Complete avoidance of any unpleasantness, is unrealistic.
Shit happens.

The Roadtrek I got was not shown much love by the previous owners (2 at least).  I had to put a new front end and brakes under it as soon as I got it and 4 new tires.  I had all the fluids changed.  I recently did a complete tune-up on it (December 2015) and I have replaced the W/H.

This time at home (we still have a S&B) I had the fuel pump and filter replaced as preventative maintenance.  It would on occasion be hard to start.  I did not want to have to replace it at an inopportune time and I don't use the cheapest parts that I can find either.  I want this vehicle to last.

My tagline says I feed the beast and it does not bite me.  This has been true since I bought it, it has never let me down.  If I feel something is about to go out, I try to get it replaced or repaired before it does.  That emergency fund does work.  I have found that if I wait for something to totally break, it ends up being far more costly to get corrected than if it had been done to start with.

Im a GM fan for 2 reasons, dependability and rather cheap repair when needed. Example bought a 1998 Jimmy with 50k, now at 314K running good
has same engine and transmission that have had no major repairs. Still does burn oil 1 quart per 3-4000K. Expecting the same performance from my
Astro van that I purchased last June, 170K changed oil and filters, went on 6000 miles trip no problems now has 10000 miles under belt and running
strong.

Good luck on choice.

From 1999 to 2008 every Ford gas engine was known to either just blow out a spark plug or break off in the engine. I can't understand why anybody buys them. No, they all didn't do it, maybe most of them didn't do it, but you never know. I just had a friend with a 2001 Ford 5.4 driving down the road at 201,000 miles and it blew out a plug. Fucking Ford never made any of it right!! Just kept selling bad engines to people. Then the fix just created new problems.

At the same time they had the 6.0 diesel--probably the worst engine ever put in an American vehicle. All shit, all of them. And Fucking Ford never made it right for anyone!! Just charged $10,000 for a new engine knowing it was just a matter of time before they blew up too. I just had a friend with a 6.0 blow the engine. I asked him wasn't he afraid of the 6.0 and he said, "It's all exaggerated, nothing wrong with it." He's not saying that anymore!! They wanted $10,000 for a new engine. So he traded it in for a new Ford with Gas.

Why is anyone still supporting those people?

Before 1999 Ford-Chevy both great! You couldn't go wrong with either of them. I was a Ford man--never again. After 1999, BUY CHEVY!!!

Quite simply the Chevy 5.3 or 4.8 are the best engines you can buy. Great gas mileage, super reliability, very strong power.

The Dodge 318 was a great engine but it comes with all the problems Dodge is known for.

Then there is the legendary Ford 300 In-Line 6. Great engine!!! But hard to find and the van/truck is going to fall apart around it.

Buy a 5.3 or 4.8 Chevy!!
Bob

akrvbob said:
Buy a 5.3 or 4.8 Chevy!!
Bob

I just found out my 1989 GMC Vandura has a 5.7 350 in it.  :D  I know it's gonna suck down the gas but, by golly, it'll have plenty of power to haul it's big self up Pike's Peak if I choose to go!

Michelle (GMC Gypsy) said:
I just found out my 1989 GMC Vandura has a 5.7 350 in it.  :D  I know it's gonna suck down the gas but, by golly, it'll have plenty of power to haul it's big self up Pike's Peak if I choose to go!

Michelle, the 5.7 350 a great engine, no doubt about that. But, the 5.3 is much stronger and will pull the mountains and tow a trailer much better than the 5.7 and still get far better MPG doing it.  

I have a 2001 Chevy Express with 5.7, my girlfriend has the 2005 5.3 Chevy Express. The 5.3 is so much better engine it's hard to describe. It's better in every way. I average 13 MPG, she averaged 17 on our 9000 mile trip to Alaska.
Bob

Wanderer said:
Regarding the guy who bought a van and had to replace the tranny. Had that happen 3 days after buying a truck...$750 more outlay...Damn it....

But I just recently have been thinking of "How to go about replacing the van I have" I was (And am still) of curtailing more expenditures (Spelled that right the first time trying! woooo!) and so I "Thought" I'd have $3K clear to put down on a $8-10K van then build on it.

Then it came to me "Why not look for a $1-2K van that runs and gets past DEQ and then BUILD IT UP instead?" I went out looking at my neck of the woods, here's the "partial" result:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5539688596.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5537665152.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5535167145.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5538972414.html

So, buy any of these, build them up or run them into the ground (Do SOME basic maintenance) and with the $$$ you have saved, buy a newer (Not better one possibly) van then.

Thank you for this post...after months of looking for a decent ride that I can afford and doesn't look like it's been both shot at and s**t at and hit both times..... Iv'e just about given up hope of finding one.  I clicked on all your CL's and saw that I may be just calling it quits too soon.  I am at the other end of the world from you in L.A. [lower Alabama]  I think I'll take a break from my search and regroup and re-evaluate my needs.

While I can no longer do even basic auto repairs I'm lucky that I have a trust worthy mechanic that is old school re: engine swaps , vintage vehicles, & hot rods.......his prices are reasonable and whatever the problem it's always fixed right the first time.

When I bought my first 4x4 I paid  1/2 down and after one payment KABOOM.. blown engine at 60mph in the boonies of Minnesota..........$150 to tow to Sioux Falls......$1,200 = new engine...tranny cooler...and I don't remember what else.    Well that's just the way that cookie crumbled...er...blew up?

Have a good week end    TJB/Jewellann

gee Bob tell us how you really feel about Ford. lol. actually I pretty much agree with you. highdesertranger

A couple of years ago I had a conversation with an attorney that specializes in lemon law cases.  I asked him which domestic automaker was the worst as far as taking responsibility for their screw-ups.  He rated Ford the worst, Chrysler hit or miss and GM ok.  I guess ok is as good as it gets.

I like the old Ford gas pushrod engines just fine for reliability.  As far as mileage goes the 300 straight six is as good as it gets and that just falls into my decent MPG category.  I have a '96 f150 with that engine, it is fun to drive with all that torque on hand. 

Sadly, I would never buy a Ford E series van as I prefer extended vans and the non-extended wheelbase on an extended van like Ford and Dodge foisted on the public is just plain wrong as far as I am concerned.  Lousy ride and much more likely to roll over.

I'm actually very happy that my F250 diesel had a problem on my road trip a year ago.  That issue forced me to rent a 2015 Express 2500 extended van with the 4.8 ls series engine and six speed trans to continue on my trip.  Otherwise I would have had no idea of how good the Express/Savana vans are these days.

Strangely enough, the 6.9 diesel in my '85 F250 fixed itself.  Probably just a tiny bit of grit got into one of the fuel injectors and caused the spray pattern to distort to the point that it made a really bad sounding noise for about 45 miles.

akrvbob said:
From 1999 to 2008 every Ford gas engine was known to either just blow out a spark plug or break off in the engine. I can't understand why anybody buys them.  No, they all didn't do it, maybe most of them didn't do it, but you never know. I just had a friend with a 2001 Ford 5.4 driving down the road at 201,000 miles and it blew out a plug. Fucking Ford never made any of it right!! Just kept selling bad engines to people. Then the fix just created new problems.

At the same time they had the 6.0 diesel--probably the worst engine ever put in an American vehicle. All shit, all of them. And Fucking Ford never made it right for anyone!! Just charged $10,000 for a new engine knowing it was just a matter of time before they blew up too. I just had a friend with a 6.0 blow the engine.  I asked him wasn't he afraid of the 6.0 and he said, "It's all exaggerated, nothing wrong with it." He's not saying that anymore!! They wanted $10,000 for a new engine. So he traded it in for a new Ford with Gas.

Why is anyone still supporting those people?

Before 1999 Ford-Chevy both great! You couldn't go wrong with either of them. I was a Ford man--never again. After 1999, BUY  CHEVY!!!

Quite simply the Chevy 5.3 or 4.8 are the best engines you can buy. Great gas mileage, super reliability, very strong power.

The Dodge 318 was a great engine but it comes with all the problems Dodge is known for.

Then there is the legendary Ford 300 In-Line 6. Great engine!!! But hard to find and the van/truck is going to  fall apart around it.

Buy a 5.3 or 4.8 Chevy!!
Bob

Tell us like it is Bob! :D

29chico said:
A couple of years ago I had a conversation with an attorney that specializes in lemon law cases.  I asked him which domestic automaker was the worst as far as taking responsibility for their screw-ups.  He rated Ford the worst, Chrysler hit or miss and GM ok.  I guess ok is as good as it gets.

I like the old Ford gas pushrod engines just fine for reliability.  As far as mileage goes the 300 straight six is as good as it gets and that just falls into my decent MPG category.  I have a '96 f150 with that engine, it is fun to drive with all that torque on hand. 

Sadly, I would never buy a Ford E series van as I prefer extended vans and the non-extended wheelbase on an extended van like Ford and Dodge foisted on the public is just plain wrong as far as I am concerned.  Lousy ride and much more likely to roll over.

I'm actually very happy that my F250 diesel had a problem on my road trip a year ago.  That issue forced me to rent a 2015 Express 2500 extended van with the 4.8 ls series engine and six speed trans to continue on my trip.  Otherwise I would have had no idea of how good the Express/Savana vans are these days.

Strangely enough, the 6.9 diesel in my '85 F250 fixed itself.  Probably just a tiny bit of grit got into one of the fuel injectors and caused the spray pattern to distort to the point that it made a really bad sounding noise for about 45 miles.

Those extended wheelbases look awful strange on the Ford Econolines for sure.

73-86? chevy/gmc 350cid th400 14 bolt rearend
efficient-no reliable-yes
the newer chevy engines are far superior but are reliant on a bunch of electronics which i have a love/hate relationship with
love them when they work and screwed when they dont,cant hotwire a burned up computer

Gary68 said:
73-86? chevy/gmc 350cid th400 14 bolt rearend
efficient-no reliable-yes
the newer chevy engines are far superior but are reliant on a bunch of electronics which i have a love/hate relationship with
love them when they work and screwed when they dont,cant hotwire a burned up computer

I'm with you on the computerized vehicles. Too much possibility of leaving me stranded. Besides, I know a major solar flare isn't going to knock me out of the running.  ;)

I think the Chevy Express with 5.3 is the best van of all time. Reliability and MPG's great. I had an 03 2500 I inherited from my Dad in 08 with 63k, he bought it new. I put another 100k on it with never more than basic maintence......oil changes, brakes, shocks, ball joints, tie rods, and that was all she ever needed. Sold it to a plumber locally in 2013 and he's still driving it with 230k on her and still no major repairs. Still has original exhaust and avg 18 mpgs