REI Member 20% discount

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
If you’re a REI member you can use the 20% off (1 for reg price, 1 for outlet). Obviously not on everything, but they do have so.at generators/solar panels, the Dom chest fridges lots of people like which are like $1k. 20% off those things are big. That’s where I got my EcoFlow Delta max generator with a different discount. I’m not sure if that’s one of the exceptions but they have lots of camping gear, and you can often get good deals in the outlet.

It doesn’t apply to the used gear, but that’s another good place to get discounted gear. I know REI has gotten fancy dancy over the years (I worked there 30 years ago) but they have good camping gear and camp kitchen stuff, good survival gear if you need to make an emergency pack (water pills, flares, dried food, ect)

I think it costs $5 or $10 one time to be a member and you get yearly dividends, and they’ve added lots of more perks for members.

Attachments

• C9318FD6-B6DC-4A1A-A5F8-31DCD1E4CCC3.png
    C9318FD6-B6DC-4A1A-A5F8-31DCD1E4CCC3.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 5
REI has good stuff, but expensive! If I need something, I wait until I get my 20% off coupon or go pilfer at a parking lot garage sale. But you're right, 20% off those larger items is huge savings!

I joined when I was 15, 1973 I think. Don't remember what membership cost. They were a small climbing and mountaineering co-op back then, I think Seattle was their only outlet. Got a great REI branded down sleeping bag I only recently stopped using. They used to send products with toilet paper in small rolls without the cardboard tube in the middle, as packing material instead of styrofoam peanuts or similar. Always had compact TP to take on backpacking trips if I ordered from them often enough. They have always charged retail prices, but with the member dividend you get at the end of the year, you save a little, providing you really need that next thing you buy from them with your dividend. I think you may be able to convert your dividend back to cash although I have never done that. Their outlets are pretty darn Bourgeois these days, but for some items that 20% could be a great opportunity, provided you compare prices and that you actually need it.

With the 20% off and my member dividend I got this fold away table for "free". Folds up nice and small in that bag.

I love REI.

x8YGGnvl.jpg

I worked there in the early 90’s … had to get a second job to pay for all my pro deals and gear with employee discount. 🤪 They have gotten hootie toyty over they recent years. I hadn’t been in a store for a while. but they DO have quality gear and return policy. I remember people bringing back shoes after 12 years and saying they didn’t hold up and want replacements,

I did get my EcoFlow generator there and with my REI CC was was able to get a good discount. I’m using that CC for only and all my van build costs so I can manage the costs better. I do pay it off each month as I hate paying interest, and it is only going to go up.
I am a bit annoyed with all the emails I get now, and the app … it’s like they hired some Silicon Valley advertising firm… it’s ridiculous and not what I thought REI is about.

Im a little bit frustrated with this area of commerce… sierra trading post used to be a great place to get discounted gear, but they got bought up by a big corp and it’s not as good.

Ill be saving up my CC benefits and buy some cool camp stuff. I do like the used area, some good deals in there and a support the program rather than a company tossing the stuff or not even offering such a liberal return policy.