Recs for warm winter weather

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanlifenment

Reaction score
Where's your go-to part of the US for comfy winter overlanding? I'm looking into a permanent heating solution, but until I get that worked out, I need to follow the weather. I haven't traveled outside the western US yet, so I don't know where to start. I'd head to the California coast, but my adventure cats need room to roam and that's hard to find there. What would be some good areas in the US for us that stay above 40°F at night and also have some space for my kitties to explore?

Yuma, AZ area (I-8). Disperse along Ogilby Rd in California. The main one is American Girl Mine Rd.
A few miles North is the Tumco Historical Site.
A little farther north is Indian Pass Wilderness, stay close to Ogilby Rd, as the cell signal drops out about three miles off Ogilby. All BLM, and outside of Bishop BLM Rules, 14 night limit per annum.

Ajo, AZ is also a possibility. I was there until a few days ago and it was nice weather. I left for personal reasons other than weather.

wayne49 said:
Yuma, AZ area (I-8). Disperse along Ogilby Rd in California.

Yeah, that's where I spend most of the winter. Sometimes I move over to the BLM area surrounding Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, although sometimes (like holiday weekends) it gets overrun buy off-roaders.

Some people like the Texas coast and many like Florida. They're both too wet for me.

Anywhere in the southwest can have a cold spell. I have lots of memories of snow on the cactus and it seems to be happening more often so be prepared for the cold!

Thank you, all! I'm surprised that the desert in Arizona stays that warm at night. I grew up in the desert and remember it getting really cold after sunset, but memory is imperfect. Guess I'll give it a shot!