• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gear Wanted Rebar! I need some rebar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvNaut

Reaction score
My neighbor loaned me 4pc about 30" long, and they are doing the job of being the pegs for my awning.... but I must return them.... so I am on the hunt for replacements... In Pahrump for the next month... thnx

Any hardware store or home center will have them, usually the shorter lengths are inside, and the longer lengths are stored outside, usually in the area where they keep pallets of bagged concrete mix.

Most of my DIY awning pegs made of rebar, I usually grind a rounded point on the 'bidness' end, and a flat spot on the other end. Makes for easier pounding into the soil.

I have seen some nice rebar type awning pegs with hooks and loops and clips, etc, at the Tyson Wells vendor area in Quartzsite...in case you are over in that neighborhood later this year.

Last edited:
I think he means the tent stakes made from rebar that have a welded on loop to tie ropes into.

Easy to find in Quartzsite. But I have not seen them for sale else where.

I suggest you go to Home Depot and get some Spax large Timber screws. Have your friend and nearby neighbor Abnorm, ie Doug at Pirate Camp, show you what to buy and how to use them.

..derp... I knew that... honest, I did... lmao... one 20' x 3/8" $8.50 one 3' x 3/8" $5.85... ///hmmm.. metal blade on sawzall or cutoff blade on skill saw... I wonder if @abnorm has cutoff saw... ;) lol

Be sure to get some of the protective plastic safety caps for the tops, it will save some injuries.

How many stakes do you need? Maybe check with a local concrete contractor? Chisel, block of steel and a big hammer? You feeling healthy? Maybe put it inside a piece of pvc pipe and tie it to the seat post and fork tube head of the bike, duct tape the ends with red flag! Make wide turns and go slow! See what they charge to deliver it maybe? That’s all I got besides bending it in a big circle and rolling it! Lol!!!

Last edited:
How many stakes do you need? Maybe check with a local concrete contractor? Chisel, block of steel and a big hammer? You feeling healthy? Maybe put it inside a piece of pvc pipe and tie it to the seat post and fork tube head of the bike, duct tape the ends with red flag! Make wide turns and go slow! See what they charge to deliver it maybe? That’s all I got besides bending it in a big circle and rolling it! Lol!!!
I can strap it to the bike and ride side saddle.... only about a mile down the road to the Depot and only a couple of turns... lol

Not thinking they will deliver to the BLM land for $9

Guessing they do not sell hacksaws at that Home Depot???

Go over to the Hardware store that is on the north side of the highway near Basin. They have building supplies.

K & B Hardware in Quartzsite is one place that stocks the Rebar Stakes. They have a store on Main Street. The Tyson Wells K & B tent is not likely to be open for another week or two.

For years I cut with my bolt cutters. The grinder with metal cutting wheel was a welcomed deal. In masonry you have a number of grinders with diamond blades and such, so good way to repurpose an old wore out one. Might have to search for rebar chunks.
As far as getting them home from Home Depot...
option 1: tie crossways on handlebars... the local windshield glass guy will thank you.
Option 2: put a little wheel on the dragging end. (Good luck with that...)
Option three: drag it home... it’ll be nice and shiny. Haha.
Option 4: borrow a grinder and cut to a length you can best handle in the parking lot. 3/8ths isn’t real hard to cut.

OK Ok.. it was a poorly thought out question.. it was hot.. and I had been working the awning in the heat,... :) It is 16' x 16' and It stood the night and makes the RV feel like a cruise ship as it gets gently tugged about by the light winds...

So yeah.. rebar.. the area we camp in outside of Pahrump is just a massive gravel pile ( it is similar in Q) As such my std titanium tent pegs, left over from MC camping days, just pulled out of the gravel and were near useless. It is now I fully understand that rebar tent pegs aren't just about the holding up to the winds, but actually getting a decent purchase in the gravel pile....

YMMV IANAL

30" long rebar.... how far do you drive them in the ground to hold properly?

30" long rebar.... how far do you drive them in the ground to hold properly?

I have to guess.. 20"... and they still wiggle a tad, but are holding well... I imagine that in gusty winds, like above 30mph, they will have to go deeper....

I am using an industrial suction cup, normally for working with glass panels of tiles, to get a purchase on the aluminum roof for the front edge, and tied to the rear ladder to secure the rear edge... I am impressed by the holding power of the suction cup...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B87BLJ25?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YYRQ6WW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I've always found rebar for projects by going to construction sites where they're getting ready to pour a slab, and it's all over the place in various lengths and sizes. They usually have a scrap pile or bin you can dig through.