RE-wiring 12v sockets.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FindingJoy

Reaction score
Hello. I hope all are well!

I am converting my 2005 Lincoln Aviator into a mini-camper.
I figure I will state what I am thinking about doing in hopes that YOU will help me figure out how to do it or something far better :rolleyes:

First off; it is just me and "me" doesn't need too terribly much. considering that factor, I am thinking that the 3 12v sockets that are already in my vehicle will suffice....for right now, anyway. I only need (and not all at one time) to charge phone, have 1 or 2 LED lights for a few hours a night, a very small electric cooler, a fan (all night), and, maybe, charge up my laptop or run a twin size electric blanket for about half an hour, if absolutely necessary. So, I am under the impression that I will be more than capable of this by charging 1 or 2 batteries providing around 60-75 AH (in total). PLEASE, let me know if my calculations are wrong! I may opt for solar supplementation, at a later time. 

So, I have 3 12v sockets (one in dash, one in mid-console, at one at the rear) already in my vehicle . I figured that these locations give me nice options with the wiring already in place. However, I do not want to run any of these plugs off of my vehicle battery. This brings me to my desired plan of action and request for insight and help.
I would like to set up a dual battery system, with a continuous duty solenoid, enabling a battery to battery charge. From what I have learned, this is easy enough to do. Once I have that set up, though, I would like to be able to have all 3 of the 12v sockets (which are now wired into my vehicle's system) wired up to the house battery, instead. Would be really nice to find out that they all wire into one hub or harness (instead of being wired separately) and that it is just a matter of one disconnect and reconnect. However, I am not finding much info in the way of re-wiring for 12v sockets already in place and, typically, Murphy's Law dictates that it won't be that simple!
ANY and ALL constructive input is greatly appreciated!

JUSst leave those original ones alone and add some more. It is not that hard to do, they make little mounting brackets you can attach with screws where you need an outlet. Very easy to find them. I like the ones made for marine use, they resist corrosion.

It is good to make it so that you don't have to redo the original wiring should you decide to change vehicles. That way you can just pull out the house battery and its plugs and move it over to the next vehicle.

Here is an image search...
https://www.google.com/search?q=12V...V-HzQIHaKDDH8Q_AUoAnoECCoQBA&biw=1824&bih=854

well the days of simple wiring are long gone. you need to locate what fuses those sockets use. my guess is the sockets are tied in with a whole slew of other doo dads. if that is the case it won't be easy.

you could do like maki said or you could just unplug them and run a new wire, that way it leaves the factory harness intact in case you want to put it back to stock.

another point when you say 12v cooler i hope you don't mean one of those Peltier(thermoelectric) coolers?

highdesertranger

Welcome to the forum - My luck with vehicles has been so bad that I want everything to be easily transfer to the next vehicle. I use as much stuff the runs on AA batteries as possible. No wiring or house battery involved. I have a charger that can run off the cigarette lighter when driving and am buying a solar powered one this payday. I have lights, a fan, a clock and a radio that run on batteries. If you keep extra charged batteries when an appliance runs out you just change them and charge the old ones when on the road. The lights are LED from harbor freight; they give a free one with every purchase. Most have 24 or more LEDs, If I am working on something I need more light I use 2. You can move them anywhere, they have a magnet and a hook. I also got some large washers and put Velcro on the back so I can stick them on the cloth surfaces of ceiling and walls with the magnet. The fan came from the Coleman store in Lancaster (brand?) and the radio you can get anywhere. when I have enough $ put aside I want to get a Renery solar generator and folding panels. If you have panels on the roof you have to park in the sun. When you are driving the generator chargers off cig plug and when near the grid on 110. And when you have (or want) to get another vehicle the generator has the whole system in one box with wheels.

As for the electric cooler they are ok, well not ok, but better than nothing if you cant have a compressor fridge. I am stuck with buying ice till I get the generator. I would be using a yeti but they cost as much as a small compressor fridge. I use a small cooler inside a larger one and keep it out of the sun. I don't buy much food that needs refer but I have to have a way to store drugs. You can buy canned chicken, beef, ham, tuna, corn beef, sausages and the ever popular spam ???

When you say electric blanket I hope you mean a 12 volt like the truckers use a conventional on on a small inverter will suck way to much power. I use a couple of real wool blanks and seem to stay warm. Of course one of the best benefits of having wheels on your house is following the sun.

There is more than one way to skin a cat - but who wants to skin a cat?

highdesertranger said:
well the days of simple wiring are long gone.  you need to locate what fuses those sockets use.  my guess is the sockets are tied in with a whole slew of other doo dads.  if that is the case it won't be easy.

you could do like maki said or you could just unplug them and run a new wire,  that way it leaves the factory harness intact in case you want to put it back to stock.

another point when you say 12v cooler i hope you don't mean one of those Peltier(thermoelectric) coolers?

highdesertranger

:) Thanks for your input!!
After reading these replies, I am going to go ahead and look at keeping the factory harnesses and just running new wire from house battery directly to each socket. I, definitely, don't want to drill into the vehicle for access points or, alternatively, have wires running all over the inside. But, you are right, Highdesertstarnger. I will probably do that or just follow the advice of Maki2 and simply install a new socket cluster. I am not going to try to scatter new sockets and wiring throughout the cab, as they already are in place and, while not a big expense, all these little ones add up when doing a whole conversion!
It would be more convenient to have the new sockets scattered, but I don't think is worth the hassle. I think just one board, with 3 sockets, in the mid console, will do. I will just have to call on my inner ballet dancer and make sure I don't break a leg or strangle myself getting caught on a cord!

As for the electric cooler you asked about: on further investigation, I have decided against it. I am strongly leaning towards just getting a regular cooler. Coolersonsale has a video, on Youtube, that tests the "ice keeping" ability of about 12 different coolers. The Igloo Marine Quantum (52 qrt) kept ice for almost 8 days and only runs for just under $50.00. I have gone a long time living off of just dry, shelf, food. So, having even the first 5-6 days of a 2 week stint with some sandwich meat, cheese, and coffee creamer will be seen as a luxury!! :D

In response to Nature Lover: Thanks for the info concerning the lights! I will look into those! I don't think I will be using much that requires smaller batteries, such as double or triple As. I am trying to keep ongoing expenses down and having to replace batteries, rather than recharge, seems counterproductive. I will probably have an emergency flashlight and a few other items with batteries, but nothing to be used on a regular basis. And, yes, the blanket is a small "stadium" blanket that a friend of mine gave me. An ex boyfriend made it so she would stop complaining about being cold on hunting trips. She was able to sit in his truck and plug it into the cigarette lighter. It isn't anything heavy duty, but placing it between my sheets for a little while before going to bed, when temp is in the 20s, would take the bite out of crawling into a cold bed, all alone!
[/quote]

for the last few years i have slowing been replacing my battery operated stuff with the rechargeable 18650 Lithium batteries. just putting that out there.

also if you end up adding outlets i would add a couple dedicated USB outlets. they are very handy and if you get good ones they are a lot more reliable than the one you use on a ciggy plug.

highdesertranger

FYI - My recommendation was for rechargeable aa batteries that I charge when the engine is running and I am driving. I always have the charger plunged in when driving.

Out of curiosity, whats wrong with the thermoelectic coolers?

thermo electric coolers have several problems,

they are energy hogs. when it say 10 amps that is 10 amps 24/7 they do not cycle like a refrigerator.
they only cool 40° below ambient and that's if your lucky more like 30°. so if it's 90° you are only getting down 50-60° inside the cooler, that is not safe for food storage. 100° forget it. save your money and get a real refrigerator.

highdesertranger

Thermoelectric coolers are not meant to run on solar power systems, nor are they designed to keep food safe and cold.

They are for keeping beverages cool, maybe a deli sandwich or two that you will be eating in a couple of hours, and the cooler is to be powered by plugging it into the lighter socket of a vehicle that is in use, in other words, traveling down the road, so that power for the cooler is no problem. In the 70 degree air conditioned cab of a truck, they could usually hold an interior temperature of around 30-40...'usually'.

They are cheap...and we used them in class 8 trucks for years and years, but we had a LOT more surplus power than the typical solar system in a van or small RV will have, AND we took all our beverages and leftover apples or  candy bars or whatever out of them, and unplugged them on the weekends. Occasionally a driver would forget to unplug one over the weekend, and in 2 or 3 days all FOUR heavy duty truck batteries would be dead on Monday morning.

As HDR says, save your money for a real fridge if you plan on installing it in a camper.