Rattle snakes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was born, raised and live in the hills of Southern California. The rattlesnake vaccine doesn’t work and even though we have canyons and walking trails filled with rattlesnakes none of the local vets have anti-venom.
There are only two I know of on the Westside. Good luck with the traffic. I cringe when I read about Benadryl (it doesn’t even work on my dog’s allergies) and other home remedies. Do you know anything about snakebites?
This is about as serious as it gets. You dog will die if it gets bitten. Period. I only know know of two who were rushed to anti-venom and survived and it costs a fortune. Vets in the Southwest are expensive.

I’m on Next Door which is a National but local website and we weekly have reports of deaths of idiots who walk the trails with unleashed dogs and while we’re at it we are losing several pets a week to coyotes.

The vaccine and the antivenom are two different things. When one of our dogs got bit our local vet had the antivenom this was in So Cal. It still took us over 1/2 hour to get there. the dog lived another year but was never the same.

IMO avoidance training is your best bet.

Highdesertranger

Maki2: "Get medical insurance for your dog."

MAKE SURE what it covers and what it DOESN'T cover.

Yes avoidance training is the only thing and pretty common here. Humans get bitten here too so make sure to wear real hiking boots and pay attention to the trails not wandering around with your head in the sky thinking of selfies. It’s now illegal anyway for dogs to be off leash on the trails. Not that that’s any guarantee.

There were avoidance classes offered last year in Quartzsite. I imagine they will be offered this winter again.