Rattle snakes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
We have rattle snakes in our parks and on our trails. There are 4 million people here and someone posted on a local website that her dog got bitten by a baby rattler (the dog was big) and there were exactly four places with anti-venom. So please if you’re in the Southwest particularly the desert you don’t let your dog wander. The dog survived because it was a baby snake (they tend to strike more often than mature snakes) and the dog was big. But it’s serious.

Maybe if you're in an area with snakes, find out ahead of time what vets have anti-venom so you don't have to waste time looking in an emergency. <3

It happened in the hills and canyons of coastal Southern California and I’d like to get my dog training but she’s had it twice and failed and I’m living on nothing right now. Avoidance training 3 times here can cost a little less than half of what I get in a month. But yes, it’s a good idea.
Right now we simply walk in shop in pet stores, strip malls, busy parks and at home.
Yes I do know which vets have it but it can be up to a two hour drive due to traffic and you have 3 hours with a heavier dog and less potent snake. A small dog will not survive. Mine is a Mini Pit and weighs 71 lbs ( yeah she’s on a diet) but she has a bad heart.
Please keep your dog leashed and if you want to be on trails watch out. We get daily photos on Next Door of rattle snakes.

LERCA said:
We have rattle snakes in our parks and on our trails. There are 4 million people here and someone posted on a local website that her dog got bitten by a baby rattler (the dog was big) and there were exactly four places with anti-venom. So please if you’re in the Southwest particularly the desert you don’t let your dog wander. The dog survived because it was a baby snake (they tend to strike more often than mature snakes) and the dog was big. But it’s serious.
We also have dogs but plan on getting them rattlesnake vaccine. Is there a vet in the area that offers it. We hope the pooch is ok.

Why not check to see if you can get the RTLR canine anti venom product in Mexico. Of course you will also have to find out how to store it, what the shelf life and be prepared with supplies to administer it. It is often much less expensive to get medications in Mexico. They do have vet clinics and medications in the border towns in Mexico. Plus of corse northern Mexico also has poisonous snakes so they too need anti venom products.

A chubby dochshound belonging to my friend was bitten on the nose by a rattlesnake while they were camping at Plomosa near Quartzsite. The dog was sleeping in his doggy bed in the shade under their rig. The vet bill was $1700.00 but it survived.

I did some research on anti-venom for my dog a few years back, and talked with her vet about it.

As I understand it, giving the anti-venom may keep a dog alive long enough to get to a vet, but they still need to go to a vet if bitten.

I keep Benadryl for her, and would dose her with that before driving frantically to a vet, should that occur.

Hopefully, it will never.

wanderingsoul said:
Maybe if you're in an area with snakes, find out ahead of time what vets have anti-venom so you don't have to waste time looking in an emergency. <3
That's what I'm going to do for sure.  My dog is never without me on a leash, but still, I've come upon rattlers on my own, didn't see them till they started rattling ;(  She's just too little to be left on her own in places like that.  Here I wouldn't let her off the leash either since we don't have a fenced yard.  Plus she loves rolling in whatever she deems "fragrant" I guess :p

LERCA said:
But it’s serious.
Thanks for the heads-up on this, I didn't think about having a vet I can take her too, and one with anti-venom, gads, that's scarey!  I guess we can't just go buy some ourselves :huh: I wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask?

Antivenin is very expensive. You might be able to buy some in Mexico for a minimum of $200 per dose. Sometimes you need multiple doses (like 5).

There is only one mfr (British), CroFab, usually used in the U.S., costing around $5,000/dose. Some bitten people have ended up with $150,000 total bills. No, that's not a typo. And those articles are from 2015. Probably higher, now.

When I worked for a vet in SoCal in the '70s, I was sent to the local pharmacy to pick up a dose... $19.

Keep your dogs close. Rattlers can't control their body temp, and usually hibernate in cold/cool weather. They are mostly present in warm weather, staying in shade when it's hot, and they go hunting at night. They hide in rock and wood piles, and piles of brush, anywhere it's shady during the day.

My research and talk with others, makes me aware there are a wide variety of opinions on what to do, short of or before you can get to a vet.  No judgement of The Best, just adding to the menu...
Here's a thread discussion that was helpful for me anyway, hesitate to post after being criticized for referencing bendadryl once so will let a vet do the talking:  https://www.unitedwaterfowlersfl.org/forum/printthread.php?t=24045&pp=40
And if your taste runs this way can check out another alternative https://thefalknerschool.com/2014/10/21/homeopathic-adventures-in-treating-a-rattle-snake-bite/

All in the fwiw dept, like caring for your own body, different strokes...

TravelingZombies said:
We also have dogs but plan on getting them rattlesnake vaccine. Is there a vet in the area that offers it. We hope the pooch is ok.
Wow! I thought you were kidding about the vaccine, then I looked it up. Why have I never heard of it??? I even told my vet I wanted her protected for hiking and they made no mention of it.
I want to take my dog hiking in the hills of Southern California where there aee a huge number of rattlesnakes but have hesitated because I'm afraid she'll be bitten.

THANKS

VeganNomad58 said:
Wow! I thought you were kidding about the vaccine, then I looked it up. Why have I never heard of it??? I even told my vet I wanted her protected for hiking and they made no mention of it . . .

That is because a lot of vets don't think it works.  If you find a vet that administers it, the vaccine is not expensive: $25 - $75 per dose.  Two doses 4 weeks apart and then 30 days til effective; booster every 6 months.  And like all vaccines it can cause adverse reactions.
https://www.embracepetinsurance.com/waterbowl/article/rattlesnake-vaccine

IMO it is more effective to train your dog to avoid rattlesnakes (snake avoidance training).

Letting your dog learn about snakes with a good sized nonpoisonous snake is really helpful! Most dogs will learn how they move, how they fight and how quick they are! Oh and a big one is what they smell like!

Doing so will teach dogs how to avoid getting bit in most cases. My wife’s dog growing up got bit and learned to hate all snakes! He killed snake on the property without fail. Most however learn to avoid them!

SD