Rain guards & Buddy Heater?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost There said:
A locking gas cap can be 'unlocked' in about 15 seconds by someone with a bit of know how and a screwdriver.

I was amazed when I saw it done on a pick up truck that was loaned to a friend.  The owner drove off with the key for the gas cap after giving him the ignition key.

Thx for that info. No point in spending money on a cap that has to be unlocked to fuel up, but could unlocked by others in 15 seconds. I can use my $$$ on something more practical.

Almost There said:
You can install a roof vent on any vehicle you choose to do it on.

My Astro and Safari mini vans each had roof vents installed.
I looked for an AWD Astro or Safari but could not find the right buy in my area.

Good to know a roof vent could be installed. I'm going to do a trial run without modifying my vehicle. If I decide I want to spend a lot more time in it I'll keep the roof vent idea in mind.

Thx for the info.

GotSmart said:
One good reasons for a plastic tank.  They do not rust.

I never had a rusty tank but I buy vehicles new or ones that lived in the southwest. Maybe that's why. I'm hoping the Dodge plastic tanks are adequately heavy duty. I haven't won any awards for driving on rocky roads so far.

Have to find out the biggest size tire I can put on my 2005 Town and Country Touring van. I like Bob's big knobby mud tires but I hear those give you a pretty rough ride on asphalt.

Kathleen said:
I never had a rusty tank but I buy vehicles new or ones that lived in the southwest. Maybe that's why. I'm hoping the Dodge plastic tanks are adequately heavy duty. I haven't won any awards for driving on rocky roads so far.

Have to find out the biggest size tire I can put on my 2005 Town and Country Touring van. I like Bob's big knobby mud tires but I hear those give you a pretty rough ride on asphalt.

The 60's cars that we had there was always a problem with rusting tanks.  modern tanks are layered, and the rust problem is no longer there. 

My Dodge has a 35 gallon tank, and is extremely heavy duty.

Kathleen said:
Ahhh, so they did not make them til recent history. That's why the older models don't have them.

They have been around since mid 90s as far as I know. I owned a auto detailing accessory shop.

I found rain guards online easily for my 2006 Ford E350. A 2005 Chrysler minivan should be no problem.

Do not do any business with someone that quotes $150 for a pair of rain guards.

Hi Kathleen!

Thank you for such open and honest questions! I've been around online forums for a very long time, and I can sense a lottt!

I am new to the van dwelling world, so your openness is much welcomed by this van-newbie out here on Tennessee!

I Insist on NOT SPENDING ANY CASH NEEDLESSLY! So, I appreciate the thoughts on rain gaurds and gas caps! Thank you!

I'm just starting my build, and I welcome thoughts!

Kathleen said:
I bought a 2005 Town and Country Minivan, 54k miles. On my first camping trip a wild storm blew in. It rained really hard. I could not keep my windows cracked in that downpour. 

I lived in Southern AZ. In winter it can rain or snow there. Do I need the rain guards for safety while running Mr. Buddy (or cook stove) on cold rainy nights before going to bed?

Would feel safer equipped with them but the cost of two rain guards and install at dealer is pricey, $150 plus tx.

I want the ones made for my make and model. With that really sticky adhesive I prefer the dealer do the install. I might not get it to stick in just the right place. :blush:

I bought rain guards for my '05 T&C at an auto parts store for less than $50, put them on in the parking lot and went on my way. It may be the BEST $50 I ever spent.

galladanb said:
Hi Kathleen!

Thank you for such open and honest questions! I've been around online forums for a very long time, and I can sense a lottt!

I am new to the van dwelling world, so your openness is much welcomed by this van-newbie out here on Tennessee!

I Insist on NOT SPENDING ANY CASH NEEDLESSLY! So, I appreciate the thoughts on rain gaurds and gas caps! Thank you!

I'm just starting my build, and I welcome thoughts!

Thanks for your comments, Dan. Welcome, van-newbie. I have to ask questions becuz I know nothing!!

The rain guards seem pretty important. I like fresh air when I sleep and you aren't supposed to use propane in van without ventilation.

Enjoy your build process. I look forward to the time when I can get into my vehicle and sail away!

becida said:
I bought rain guards for my '05 T&C at an auto parts store for less than $50, put them on in the parking lot and went on my way. It may be the BEST $50 I ever spent.

How is your 05 T & C doing? Still driving it? Lots of miles now???

I bought mine last summer at 54k miles. Love the comfy seats, great for back support.

Looking forward to the great Possessions Purge this spring and time on the road after that.

Kathleen said:
How is your 05 T & C doing? Still driving it? Lots of miles now???

I bought mine last summer at 54k miles. Love the comfy seats, great for back support.

Looking forward to the great Possessions Purge this spring and time on the road after that.
222000+ miles on it & it's doing well!

Yes!! I loved my rain guards in my old van! (I live in Ireland so they're MUCH needed.. you can NEVER rely on the weather being dry).

I guess I'll have to buy some for my new (used) van and install them myself too ;)

The Mr. Heater Buddy products have low oxygen sensors. They turn off when the oxygen level is roughly equivalent to the air at 7,000 feet. A lot of people live that high or higher, so it's not like you would be in any trouble. Besides that, no one's vehicle is air tight. Air comes in the vents and small gaps in door and window seals.

Absolutely irresponsible, your level of trust in a built-to-price POS is boggling.

No way I'd run any propane flame in my space without at least an 8 in sq clear opening, unless it was so leaky a candle might go out when it's windy.

Lost a close friend, in a TENT, RIP Gerard.

John61CT said:
Absolutely irresponsible, your level of trust in a built-to-price POS is boggling.

Well, you see, my rule is to not sleep with the heater on. The heater is off, the tank is off, the hose (which I replace annually) is disconnected from the heater. That's where my trust comes from. I don't use the heater irresponsibly. I bundle up to retain the 98° my body is pumping out. I think it's the wrong approach to try keeping the interior of a vehicle constantly comfortable as if I were still living in a building and wasting resources. If it's cold, dress for it, have the bedding for it. And acclimate to it. 

Oh, and everything is built to a price.

Okay I have built an air tight camper trailer, no leaks so tight you have to shut the door then unlatch the latch and push to close it. I had to cut a 14" x 14" vent in front and two 6" x 6" vents at the lower rear as well as an additional 12" x 3" vent at the top rear. The camper is 80" wide x 96" long x 72" tall, so about the same space as a van. With a Buddy Heater the heater cuts off at 7,000' every time and has cut off in low oxygen situations several times while I figured out exactly how much venting I needed/wanted. I, using the recommended vent size had situations where it cut off and have never gotten more than a headache and it has probably saved my life by doing so. I'm sure after a life as a mechanic I have lost more than a few brain cells to exhaust fumes and seem to have become more of a risk taker in my old age so don't do what I did. Now that I know I have more than enough venting I will probably buy a Wave III as I'm occasionally camped in Flagstaff and need to stay warm. The Buddy Heater definitely saved a beginner like me.

If you can afford a propex, HS2211 great unit, mount outside.

Well engineered, built to a much higher quality, totally eliminates the many disadvantages of burning propane on the living space.

Webasto and Espar if you'd prefer burning your propulsion fuel.

All very safe, efficient, highly recommended over RV style furnaces.

And of course spendy.

John61CT said:

I have no trust in any corporation to care how many people it kills in their worship of another dime per share. They love money and use and discard people.

But I have absolute trust in the ambulance chasing lawyers who will sue them out of existence if that POS ever kills somebody because they cut a corner to save that dime. 

Checks and balances work well in that situation.

Perhaps you might want to think about a couple of floor vents. My husband cut two 4" holes in the back of our van, so with the rain guards and the vents open, we have "flow-through" air circulation .

He used a drill and a hacksaw to cut the holes. Then he put in varmint screens on the bottom of the opening . With our floor, we have space between the varmint screen and the inside floor. He glued a cut-out (with tin snips) metal flashing material to the underside of the hole in order to attach the varmint screen. Then he sealed the inside of the vents with what we had available, I think some kinds of lap seal smeared on (expediency won over beauty -but no one will see it). Then he put screw-in deckplates on the floor surface. When we want to open the vents, I just unscrew and take off the deckplate top, place a pre-cut screen (a couple of inches greater than the diameter of the deckplate rim) over the vent and have a 6" ring clap that snugs over the screen. Between the varmint screen and the insect screen, ain't nothing coming in. By making the insect screen removable, you can easily clean inside the vent.

BUT-please don't drive or run the engine when the vents are open. Carbon monoxide will get ya.