Questions about trailer, dog and cooling.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldervampire

Reaction score
So, my timetable is likely to change and move up despite my best efforts. I have a 9 year old mutt..very happy sloppy doggo. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to work mobile and have to have a regular job. Meaning I'll have to leave him alone for at least 8 hours a day. Heating isn't a concern as I've seen plenty of options for heaters that are safe with a thermostat to keep him warm. Cooling is my major concern, I have never and would never leave him in a situation where his life would be jeopardized in a hot apartment, car or anywhere else. Any advice on what I could do to help this situation would be greatly appreciated. I can't leave him behind, and I don't want to risk his health/life because my situation is being forced ahead of schedule. With luck, I'll have a trailer rv, but it won't have built in A/C.

Higher elevations are cooler so just look for employment in those areas and leave the windows open.

working nights helps.  you guys can battle the heat of the day together.  fans and mist.

I believe there were some work camping jobs in texas as a night time gate guard. But there are other security guard positions where the dog could go to work with you. Also working at places such as RV parks that might be possible. Much depends on the way the dog behaves around people and inside offices and such.

it is rough, truly.
on trips since I do high heat areas like the beach in 100 deg. weather is my love of what a fun trip is :) I worry about the dog. I got AC in the rv. Still scared to leave him in there and be away too long. One tripped breaker and boom. AC shuts off and cooked dog. Has happened with tripping before so it is just a big tug on how to handle leaving a pet in whatever situation. Doggie daycare? Other suggestions are good above. Best of luck in finding that elusive answer for your best bet on how to handle.

One of the hardest things I had to admit was that having a dog in vanlife and working a job just don't mix.

There are a few ways to make it less unmixable...

Working overnights Hotel night audit is a good idea!

Doggie daycare if you get a subscription package the price goes down far more. Plus in more rual places the rates are much less as well. A family member payed only 1/10th what I was paying in the big city when I needed to go out of town.

If you can find a job that is dog friendly that is going to be a life saver. Many corporate jobs are becoming more dog friendly. Some even I think are building doggie daycares into their corporate campuses.

Other options are food delivery! If you are in a stable place you can easily buy a cheap dependable car like an older toyota that is old but still depenable and that way you won't rack up the miles on your daily driver. Even if you have to pay for parking and drive to that and switch cars that could fit into your life if your in a general area or have it towed behind your trailer if your able to.

Delivery would give you more flexabilty as to the hours you work.

Honestly I would suggest you look into remote work such as call center work you can work remotely in your trailer and it be decent money. If you can develop that skill you can keep moving on to better call center jobs. I know some can pay upwards of 20 bucks an hour. It's a hard job but if you can handel upset people without it eating away at you then that be a good option.

If I needed a job I simply would seek out the jobs that I truly wanted and try to make it work, and then seek out jobs that might be more understanding next. Working in an animal hospital they might be accomindating, or what if you worked in a kennel boarding place? If they don't give you free boarding while your working that at least might give you a discount. Plus you get to work with your own dog in a way. You be saving on rent and housing expenses so that would ofset that a bit.

You gotta think outside of the box, it's ok to get frustrated and overwhelemed because I did living in a minivan with my dog trying to make enough money to pay the bills. I still am trying to develop a new career that I can use to pay those bills compeltely until then I just keep living off savings until I find a solution myself.

It's hard but I wish you luck!