Questions about Ford Transit van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green-Is-Gold

Reaction score
Hello all.... I'm trying to decide what would be the best choice of van for a camper. I was leaning toward the "old school" Chevy Express, figuring it would be more mechanically robust than a Ford Transit. However, I drove an Express recently (a U-Haul) and was disappointed -- it felt like driving an ox cart. Some people say the Transit drives and handles better, but I haven't had the chance to try one yet. Any opinions on that? Also, something I notice about Transits is that the attachments for the rear springs seem to hang down quite low. Could a moment of carelessness on a rocky dirt road mean a broken suspension?

Thanks!

Green-Is-Gold

Before the Transit, all of my previous vehicles for 30 years were zippy little subcompacts with stick shifts. Except for turning radius and handling on steep hills (both up and down), I find the Transit to handle very similarly to my little cars. Not zippy, certainly, but not an ox-cart, either. I don’t know about the risks to the suspension. I do take my van on rocky dirt roads but have (so far…) managed to avoid that moment of carelessness.

Have had one 2 years. As expected a bit more challenging in parking lots. 148" WB. It drives great, very good handling, like a car in many ways. I have the ecoboost engine which has ridiculous acceleration on tap, sometimes useful and climbs grades with ease. Did some off road driving recently and it is not so rugged as a truck or even the Ford Aerostar I used to drive which had a truck chassis and suspension. There are some aftermarket suspension add ons that might be worth looking into if traveling rugged terrain often, and if your budget permits. I have the AWD version, I wouldn't try some of the routes I would take in a previous 4WD Nissan truck, but its nice to have the traction in sandy, wet or snowy conditions. I'm averaging about 15 mpg. About 30,000 miles and been very reliable so far.

I had a similar experience as you when test-driving vans. I tried a couple Chevy cargo vans and was quite disappointed by the rough feel of the drive. It was not comfortable. Also I noticed the windshield design was such that I didn't have nearly the view I'd hoped for.
By comparison, the Ford Transits I drove, felt more comfortable and smooth. The big windshield gives a much better view.
I bought a Ford Transit 350, long wheel base. The long is a bit less "car like" than the short wheel base version which I also test drove. My understanding is the 350 is a stiffer drive than the 250 or 150. It does drive easily and fairly smoothly, but it is "stiff" in the sense that it is a hard drive on rough roads or rough spots in roads. You feel every bump. For this reason, and others, I prefer driving on smooth asphalt, over dirt roads. I do generally need to go out at least a short distance on dirt roads on my trips, since I boondock in the woods on my trips, but I an reluctant to go far on dirt roads due to the rough feel.
I tend to stick mostly to dirt roads that are well maintained and do not have too many large rocks sticking up.

The "Ox cart" experience is normal for a heavy duty, maybe one-ton van when unloaded. It does get better with some weight in it, but it might be worth trying to find a 3/4 ton version and try that.

Also, something I notice about Transits is that the attachments for the rear springs seem to hang down quite low. Could a moment of carelessness on a rocky dirt road mean a broken suspension?
Yes, the Transits and other modern vans have very little ground clearance and little wheels and tires. They are optimized for commercial in town hauling.

The Transit vans have especially bad rear shock clearance, but they can be modified without ridiculous expense. You can lift it 2 inches, install bigger tires, and have the lower shock mounts welded 2 inches higher relative to the axle.

I like the 3.3L none turbo version, with the low gear differential and locker.

...what would be the best choice of van for a camper... on a rocky dirt road...
a)
Our ExpeditionVehicle has sixteen inches (16") ground-clearance.
You think this would be enough, and yet, we got hung-up twice:
* the first time was crossing a log
* the second time was crossing a log.
And we thought (to our selves) 'this might be a pattern'.
If you want to go traipsing through the wilderness, you can anticipate a stouter suspension than your typical in-town grocery-getter.
For us, the less time in the bowels of some urban heck-hole, the better.
We are happiest out beyond those cellular telephone signals...
... and this usually means a rough road.
Fortunately, a rough road usually dissuades most city-folk in their soft rides.
For us, this's a win-win.
b)
Your 'best choice'?
Probably some old beater.
If you are dead-set on exploring a 'rocky dirt road', you probably want something you can walk away from:
* go 'cheap',
* go 'easily replaceable',
* go have fun without worrying about payments or vandals or appearances.

Hello all.... I'm trying to decide what would be the best choice of van for a camper. I was leaning toward the "old school" Chevy Express, figuring it would be more mechanically robust than a Ford Transit. However, I drove an Express recently (a U-Haul) and was disappointed -- it felt like driving an ox cart. Some people say the Transit drives and handles better, but I haven't had the chance to try one yet. Any opinions on that? Also, something I notice about Transits is that the attachments for the rear springs seem to hang down quite low. Could a moment of carelessness on a rocky dirt road mean a broken suspension?

Thanks!

Green-Is-Gold
I

Thanks!

Green-Is-Gold
I have a 2017 GMC Savana cargo van (same as Express) and it drives great!