Question: Should you use fob to flash lights?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leef

Reaction score
Here's the situation: I'm sleeping in my van in an urban setting at 3:30 AM when I'm awoken by one or more people outside my van whom I suspect has ill intentions. Is it a good idea to use my key fob lock button, which will flash my lights three times? (My fob has no horn blowing capability.) What do you think and why?

Many variables. Do they know you're inside? Or did they just happen to approach your van as a potential target?

If they are actively trying to get into your van it may startle them and they would leave.

Or not.

I personally would reach for my favorite self-defense item before trying the lights.

You'd also want to be in a position to get into the driver's seat quickly if you need to.

Then wait while listening and/or watching to see what transpires.

Keys at the ready to use in the ignition and maybe leave.

YMMV

Last edited:
Might be better if you had auto start and used it and a good sense of situational awareness earlier to find a better place to spend the night! I would not, do not provide more information and time for them to decide and react. Start and drive away immediately, always park with more than one route of escape and familiarize yourself with the routes so you can drive it without doubts about where you are going, even when you know it is a safe place to park so that is possible. Stupid people do stupid things, leave before they can figure out what they will do if you stay. Avoidance is always better than confrontation when on your own.

Last edited:
Sure you could use your fob to flash your lights. You can also buy a small air horn, the kind people take to sporting events. You don't want to damage your own eardrums with the louder units.

Stay out of areas were you see a lot of tagging because the nightime is the right time for being out and about doing mischief. You want a nice, quiet place to get a good night's sleep.

Last edited:
Sure you could use your fob to flash your lights. You can also buy a small air horn, the kind people take to sporting events. You don't want to damage your own eardrums with the louder units.

Stay out of areas were you see a lot of tagging because the nightime is the right time for being out and about doing mischief. You want a nice, quiet place to get a good night's sleep.

I have such a horn. If you used such a device in close proximaty to the criminals ear.....you could cause damage. Do you think this would be considered "reasonable force" if you permanantly damage their ears?

Yes I'd use the fob, not the lights but the honking horn if yours has that. Be prepared to quick drive off too.

Yes I'd use the fob, not the lights but the honking horn if yours has that. Be prepared to quick drive off too.
I agree. I would use the “panic” button first. Especially if they are close, I think they would think twice and move on thinking it’s a sensor alarm.

Thanks everyone. As I mentioned, my fob has no horn blowing capability, only light flashing. There seems to be a consensus that it’s a good thing to alert outside parties that there may be a complication with trying to break into the van. The other precautions mentioned are ones that I already take.

Here's the situation: I'm sleeping in my van in an urban setting at 3:30 AM when I'm awoken by one or more people outside my van whom I suspect has ill intentions. Is it a good idea to use my key fob lock button, which will flash my lights three times? (My fob has no horn blowing capability.) What do you think and why?
Why do you suspect they have ill intentions? I've been disturbed by people many times in urban areas, especially if parked in an area with other van dwellers, or even pedestrians. No one has ever touched my rig... except for cops.

If someone tried to break into your rig or something, *then* would be the time to inform them that you have a shotgun and would love to blow someones head off.