Question re: Dispersed Camping in Natl. For.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowanFae

Reaction score
I've watched a TON of videos about camping in the National Forest, and it always appeared as if the YouTuber's simply found a spot they could pull just off the road and camp.  Granted, most of these people were in RV's and here I am in my car.

So, after doing research, I came across the Shawnee National Forest rules for dispersed camping and the site said I would need to park overnight in an approved area.  That would mean a whole mess load of packing in, and packing out and there's little chance I can drag my tent and gear and water too far away from my vehicle.

Is this something anyone on this forum has encountered?  Is this rule intended for backpackers going off into the forest for extended camping trips?

Will I be in violation of Federal Laws, if I drive into the forest (On approved/public roads) and find a spot (within the - so many feet from water, so many miles from paid campsites/parks rules) just off the road and secluded?

I admit I've always camped in primitive paid campgrounds.

Should I leave the larger tent at home and just bring what i need to backpack in?

I was under the impression that it was ok to camp in the National Forest (within certain above mentioned guidelines) and that I could do it from a van/out of my car.

Advice, shared experience etc. is appreciated.

I have researched the State Forest rules for areas I want to visit, and have the permits (where required) to do so.  National Forest land is new for me.  I really want to have fun, and not get into any trouble that would cut my trips short.

Here is the information you are looking for:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/shawnee/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=10669&actid=34
You can simply Google "Shawnee National Forest Dispersed Camping" and this will come up.

You can also get a Motor Vehicle Use Map at the ranger station that will give you the precise location of Dispersed Camping sites. (Dispersed Camping is the name of informal campsites not in a developed campground.) It's a good idea to stop by the ranger station and introduce yourself. I find that if I make the effort to be friendly with the rangers, they are extremely helpful and even stop by to chat and see if I need anything.

The Dire Wolfess

tx2sturgis said:
For that particular forest, I see three phone numbers on the home page, why not give them a call and ask?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/shawnee/home

Normally, most 'camping' sites are suitable for a vehicle unless they are designated as hike-in/backpacking or something similar.
Yes, I was planning on calling those numbers and getting information from the rangers.  I suppose I should have done so, rather than bring the questions here.  

Rangers, can give me the rules - which I will follow.  People here can give me, if they are so inclined, their own personal experiences and tips.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Moxadox said:
Here is the information you are looking for:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/shawnee/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=10669&actid=34
You can simply Google "Shawnee National Forest Dispersed Camping" and this will come up.  

You can also get a Motor Vehicle Use Map at the ranger station that will give you the precise location of Dispersed Camping sites.  (Dispersed Camping is the name of informal campsites not in a developed campground.)  It's a good idea to stop by the ranger station and introduce yourself.  I find that if I make the effort to be friendly with the rangers, they are extremely helpful and even stop by to chat and see if I need anything.

The Dire Wolfess

It was that site, you linked, that had me confused?

From the extended text off that site: [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You would need to leave your vehicle at an approved overnight parking area such as the backpacker's parking lot at the Garden of the Gods Wilderness area or at a designated trail head. You would not be allowed to leave your vehicle overnight at any designated Day-Use area or where blocking a road or other access.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]----------------------[/font]

Also, thanks for the tip regarding getting maps at the rangers stations. I will make sure to stop in and introduce myself and get some maps.

RowanFae said:
Yes, I was planning on calling those numbers and getting information from the rangers.  I suppose I should have done so, rather than bring the questions here.  

Possibly you misunderstood. Your question was a good one, and I was not dismissing it. But going right to the source can sometimes be the right answer. 

Please post your results here for myself and others.

tx2sturgis said:
Possibly you misunderstood. Your question was a good one, and I was not dismissing it. But going right to the source can sometimes be the right answer. 

Please post your results here for myself and others.

Oh no!  I didn't think you were being dismissive.  Going to the source IS the best answer, and I did/do intend to do that.

This is from the web site that you were already referred to. https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/shawnee/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=10669&actid=34

Dispersed Camping Areas

Camp Cadiz Campground
Dutchman Lake
Garden of the Gods Recreation Area
Jackson Falls
Lake Tecumseh
Lake of Egypt
One Horse Gap Lake
Pennant Bar Openlands
Tower Rock Campground
Whoopie Cat Lake
Cedar Lake
Kinkaid Lake & Trail System
Oakwood Bottoms Greentree Reservoir
Turkey Bayou Campground

Disbursed camping would include your car. On this site you can click on any of the names listed and it will give you the details. I checked on one and it just said stay 150 feet from trailheads lakes and streams.

all National Forests have different rules for dispersed camping. basically the closer you are to large population areas the more restrictive the regs. highdesertranger

The rules differ for each national forest Out West the areas are huge, but some forests have definite disbursed camping areas, in some you can just go up a road and off to the side. The general rules are length of stay, toilet and rubbish control for hygiene and fire of course.

DannyB1954 said:
This is from the web site that you were already referred to. https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/shawnee/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=10669&actid=34

Dispersed Camping Areas

Camp Cadiz Campground
   Dutchman Lake
   Garden of the Gods Recreation Area
   Jackson Falls
   Lake Tecumseh
   Lake of Egypt
   One Horse Gap Lake
   Pennant Bar Openlands
   Tower Rock Campground
   Whoopie Cat Lake
   Cedar Lake
   Kinkaid Lake & Trail System
   Oakwood Bottoms Greentree Reservoir
   Turkey Bayou Campground

Disbursed camping would include your car. On this site you can click on any of the names listed and it will give you the details. I checked on one and it just said stay 150 feet from trailheads lakes and streams.
Yes, I had looked into those. If you click on the links it takes you mostly to developed sites that charge between 8-10/night. Not exactly my idea of dispersed camping. 

This all reminds me of the old adage, "running my own business was easy, until I learned to do it right."

For some reason, I had thought National Forests would have a more consistent set of rules in place. I expected State Forests to have different regulations, but the Federal lands are surprising me.

jonthebru said:
The rules differ for each national forest  Out West the areas are huge, but some forests have definite disbursed camping areas, in some you can just go up a road and off to the side. The general rules are length of stay, toilet and rubbish control for hygiene and fire of course.

Thank you. That sums it up nicely. I definitely need to check in at the Ranger stations before camping.

highdesertranger said:
all National Forests have different rules for dispersed camping.  basically the closer you are to large population areas the more restrictive the regs.  highdesertranger

That makes sense. Thank you.

RowanFae said:
If you click on the links it takes you mostly to developed sites that charge between 8-10/night. Not exactly my idea of dispersed camping. 

I clicked on those links and only found a couple that have fees. 11 of them did not. So that would be my idea of disbursed camping.

DannyB1954 said:
I clicked on those links and only found a couple that have fees. 11 of them did not. So that would be my idea of disbursed camping.

Well crap. I gave up to soon, so definitely my bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

RowanFae said:
Also, thanks for the tip regarding getting maps at the rangers stations.  I will make sure to stop in and introduce myself and get some maps.

The Forest Service charges $14 per map these days. They are very nice maps on water resistant material. Also, Bob recommends a phone map. I think it's called the public lands app or something. Shows boundaries of federal lands. So you can just drive into an area that's federal administered and dispersed camp.

RowanFae said:
Yes, I had looked into those. If you click on the links it takes you mostly to developed sites that charge between 8-10/night. Not exactly my idea of dispersed camping. 

This all reminds me of the old adage, "running my own business was easy, until I learned to do it right."

For some reason, I had thought National Forests would have a more consistent set of rules in place. I expected State Forests to have different regulations, but the Federal lands are surprising me.

I don't know of any state lands allow dispersed camping as it is in the federal lands. There are probably free camping areas you'd find using freecampsides.net. But that's not quite the same as dispersed camping. Personally I don't mind paying to camp. I'm a senior so get 1/2 off federal facilities. Most campgrounds seem to be underutilized. Good for me as a camper. And they're maintained and patrolled which is mostly good in my opinion. Some of my favorite pay campgrounds are those administered by the Army Corps of Engineers. Prices are reasonable. There are almost always clean, hot showers and east of the great plains, most have electricity.

AreWeLostYet said:
The Forest Service charges $14 per map these days. They are very nice maps on water resistant material . . .

National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Maps are free and also available on-line.  They only show roads and special information (like where you can dispersed camp, road restrictions, etc.).

The waterproof, full color topo maps of a National Forest cost $14.  They are the USGS 1:100,000 maps with some added information, printed on plastic 'paper'.

I believe in Alaska and Arizona you can disperse camp on state land. I know in AZ you need a permit from the state. highdesertranger