Question about caravans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyl4rk

Reaction score
If there is someone you don't like in a caravan, or someone who is behaving badly, how do you tell them they are not welcome?

How do you decide what is bad behavior?

If they show up again, what do you do?

I will be interested in the answers you get, especially based on the nature of the Bob Wells/ HOWA /CheapRVLiving caravans.

The "Old School" reply is this is why you have wheels. Everyone CAN be themselves, it's allowed in the world at large. We each get to set boundaries appropriate for ourselves, which includes who we choose to be around.

I have left many camping areas in order to have the interactions that I prefer.

YMMV - IMHO and all that jazz
Simply, my own opinion

Depends on the behavior and the person. There is no single one right solution fits all answer to your question because it is situational dependent.

Use common street smarts, you already have them, just think it through as it happens and quit worrying so much.
Plus in a caravan you can discuss it with other people. You are not alone, you have backup.

Without being very specific it’s a bit hard to answer that question. Can you move further away from that person? Can you avoid that person? Can you join a different caravan or break off from the main caravan with others that might want to join you? I don’t believe telling anyone to leave is something that you can do. They most assuredly have as much right to be there as you do.

One thing for sure and that is you will never get along with everyone. Your wheels can roll and that’s the great thing about being a nomad. You can choose your neighbors.

I posted the above question after reading the FAQ, because it was unclear.

The FAQ does say that sexual harrassment should be reported to law enforcement, and it discusses creating spin-off groups. Leaving the problem person behind is a good strategy but what if they follow?

Does HOWA provide any advice to caravan guides or organizers on how to deal with problem behaviour?

Don’t tell them you are leaving or where you are going.

You are unlikely to caravan with people you meet here who are then going to pose a threat to you.

If they do, certainly contact law enforcement and inform other members of your group.

If you are generally fearful of strangers, gathering with them in groups may not be a good plan for you.