Puppy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
As I get closer to the time I will be departing, I keep thinking I should get a dog.

Now, my rig is pretty small.  (21' bumper to bumper), so I don't think a larger dog will be a good fit.    

But, there is the issue of house breaking in a small space on the road.

In the past I adopted cute adult dogs....only to find out they were in the shelter because they never were housebroken.    So, when I think about adopting a grown dog, I worry about the behavior problems I would be adopting.   Yet, puppy needs to be housebroken.     I want to add...I have never successfully housebroken a puppy

So..I want a smallish dog...housebroken .    Anyone have suggestions for me?    A shelter dog is very attractive idea...how do you make sure the dog is a good fit...

you go to a rescue and explain your situation. maybe they let you foster as a trial. Puppies are too much work.

We just added a chihuahua to our mix of dogs and the house breaking is going well. To housebreak, no matter the environment you need a kennel. Take the pup out to go to the bathroom, bring it in and play with it a bit, and then kennel it. Do that every 1 1/2 hours and pretty soon you have a pup that is housebroken. This little chihuahua is kenneled during the night and almost from the start would let me sleep through the night without messing in her kennel. We have only had her a month and we are pretty comfortable with her not being kenneled during the day as long as we watch her and take her out regularly. In the kennel we have a puppy pad and some chew toys for her. Also, it's nice if you can have a little portable fence for it to be able to spend some time outside off leash, but contained. But, if you are city dwelling in a van, that might be a bit awkward. Good luck! Regardless of where you get a dog, the kenneling routine works to housebreak. We always use the wire kennels. Then the kennel becomes their safe sanctuary too!

I don't let my dogs out of the trailer after dark. One is 12 pounds and one is 5 pounds. I worry about wild animals interacting with them after dark. So I put down puppy pads and if they have to go they use the pad. It works for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going to get a puppy, perhaps you might want to get one before you leave your sticks and bricks home? We just got a puppy with the hope that she is mostly housebroken before we get on the road (in about a month, finally!). We did it before leaving precisely so she could at least get a good head start on the process.

So far, she's doing very well at 10 weeks. She doesn't have an accident unless we didn't take her outside in time...but maybe it's us she is training?

Along with the house training, I'm working on a few basic commands, the most important one for being on the road is "Lucy, Come!". She has that one down, along with "sit" and retrieve. The hardest thing with her is the "no bite!" command. She is very mouthy.

Her mother is a 15 lb labradoodle and her father a Heinz57, and he is about 20 lbs. So she should be about that size. I needed small, a dog who would fit into the crate size that would fit into the niche I have set up for it.
Ted

When space is at a premium, a crate can be a real nuisance.  If you're a crate person, get a folding one.

Breed choice can be important: "16 Breeds that are the Hardest to Potty-Train and Why!"  https://blog.pawedin.com/dogs/16-breeds-hardest-to-potty-train/

Dogs, even puppies, don't usually soil their own bed. A relatively short tether can work as well as a crate.  Get or make a tether of suitable size, and anchor it to something solid.

I used thin (1/16") steel cable you buy by the foot, plastic coated or not (can't be chewed); 2 leash clips; 2 metal cable ferrules, usually available by the 'each' at most hardware stores http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hill...rrule-in-Aluminum-50-Pack-322202-0/203809768; and a pounding tool like a hammer.  The ferrule has two holes in it, so make a loop with one of them at each end of your cable with the leash clip inside.  Try to not let the short end of the cable stick out beyond the ferrule hole, as it will rip your hand, & you can't shorten it enough afterward.  Pound the soft metal ferrule with the hammer to secure the loop.  Test it. If you forget to put the leash clip in the loop, use a carabiner instead.

Here's a photo of one, but you'll notice that they didn't keep the very tip of the cable just inside the ferrule, so they had to cap them (they are very sharp):  https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RyDFMPF1JFY/maxresdefault.jpg

Use a kitchen timer, and set it for an hour.  Take the pup outside on a leash immediately after removing the tether; if you let it run loose in the van for 5 seconds, it will squat and pee.  Do not beat pup for your mistakes.  Take pup to pee/poop area.  Do not wander.  You are not going on a walk.  You want him to take care of business Right Here.  Once he starts to get the idea, and squats, tell him 'hurry up, hurry up' or some other phrase that he will learn is the command for getting the job done.  Peeing on command is very handy for when you have to let him out in the middle of the night, in the rain or snow, or the vet needs a urine specimen.  If you're camping in the same place for several days, take him to the same area each time.

Puppies can't hold their urine for long periods, like when you're long distances, or all night.  Some people use those pee pads, but almost every person who has done so (in my experience) blurs the limits of housebreaking, as the dog learns that it IS okay to pee in the house.

Do not leave the dog tethered outside, esp at night, as a snack for predators.

I'd suggest a medium size dog (30-50 pounds) because they are big enough to be much safer than a small dog. I had an 80 pound dog in a van and never regretted it, but now I have a 45 pound dog and he is a much better fit.

Because I'm a boondocker, my door is always open and housetraining is a non-issue, he comes and goes freely.

I like getting adult dogs from a Rescue (my last two were 4 and 2 years old). They were both very grateful for a new life and expressed that their whole lives by loving me with a passion!

Hmm...we got a puppy chihuahua who's 9 months now but a training is easy as long as you take them out first thing in the morning and every 2 hours.

House training is easy. If the puppy wakes up, eats, drinks, plays, or sniffs at the floor...they go out.

Some rescues will not give to a dweller, your fenced in back yard is not big enough.

Some rescues charge quite a bit for a puppy in adoption fees.

We just got a Miniature Schnauzer puppy.  He's pretty much house broken at this point.  We set up a tiny bell at the top of the stairs, and installed a temporary gate.  He's learned to ring the bell when he has to go potty.

The bigger concern was making sure that he learned to come when called.  He was totally out of control and would not learn to come when called - which led to chasing him down the street, a very dangerous situation.

I have a remote control shock collar that I used to train our Beagle.  It has two modes: beep, and shock.  When he was learning I would first beep him, them shock him with a low voltage.  This got his immediate attention, and after only being shocked 2x, he figured out that the beep meant business.  Within 48 hours he had transitioned from being out of control to obeying on voice commands.

We rarely put that collar on him anymore, and if we need it, all we have to do is beep him and he comes instantly.

akrvbob said:
I'd suggest a medium size dog (30-50 pounds) because they are big enough to be much safer than a small dog. I had an 80 pound dog in a van and never regretted it, but now I have a 45 pound dog and he is a much better fit.

Because I'm a boondocker, my door is always open and housetraining is a non-issue, he comes and goes freely.

I like getting adult dogs from a Rescue (my last two were 4 and 2 years old). They were both very grateful for a new life and expressed that their whole lives by loving me with a passion!

I second this....I've adopted 2 adult dogs in the same size range.  They made me understand that " who rescued who" bumper sticker.   Taz, my slightly older dog, who is not longer with us, did not like traveling in the truck at all.  He did,  however,  love the camping life. 

And since I don't have a house,  but a 6x12 trailer,  there's no house.  But LOTS of outdoors. 

Hope this made sense, still drinking my 1st cup of coffee. 

Pat

jim1521 said:
We just got a Miniature Schnauzer puppy.  He's pretty much house broken at this point.  We set up a tiny bell at the top of the stairs, and installed a temporary gate.  He's learned to ring the bell when he has to go potty.

The bigger concern was making sure that he learned to come when called.  He was totally out of control and would not learn to come when called - which led to chasing him down the street, a very dangerous situation.

I have a remote control shock collar that I used to train our Beagle.  It has two modes: beep, and shock.  When he was learning I would first beep him, them shock him with a low voltage.  This got his immediate attention, and after only being shocked 2x, he figured out that the beep meant business.  Within 48 hours he had transitioned from being out of control to obeying on voice commands.

We rarely put that collar on him anymore, and if we need it, all we have to do is beep him and he comes instantly.

Wow! 2 Jims with miniature schnauzers.  On the road.  

:D

My DW was explaining to me about how they "bob" the ears and tail of a Miniature Schnauzer. Dummy me! I thought they just grew that way. I was so outraged when I heard that - I was really pissed! I couldn't believe someone would snip their ears and tails simply for cosmetic reasons. She had to talk me off the ledge!

I understand the whole "show dog" thing, but had I known that from the start, I'd have made it a point to NOT have him done.

Having said that, he just had his Little Man surgery about two weeks ago. He's back at it full speed now.

You could not pay me to take a puppy. I will only adopt from a shelter or rescue group. Some rescue dogs have been potty trained, they were given up for probably many other things like old age. I prefer older dogs to match my energy level and because as a senior dog myself, I would not like being left at the curb. I also think the companionship they provide is better than any anxiety meds on the market (well almost!). 

Good luck on your search!

Funny this post should come up now. I was just thinking of getting a mini schnauzer pup. I'm going to have to look for one. I've never had an issue potty training a pup. It really is training yourself to be hypersensitive to the keys your pup exhibits when they have 'go'. If anyone does know of a reputable breeder of mini schnauzers, please pm me.

Some places have purebred dog rescues, fostered by people who know the breed. One is Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue, a legitimate 501-c-3 non-profit organization: http://www.spdrdogs.org/

Legitimate breeders usually have their pups sold before the bitch is even bred.

People who advertise on Craigslist and similar sites are puppy millers.

The problem with shelters is that they don't usually know the dog. Does it kill small livestock or cats? Is it a runner or fence-jumper? Does it bite men in uniform? They don't know.

After my last puppy I swore Id never do that again. Rescued a 2 year old dog a little over a year ago and it's easily one of the best decisions I ever made. He was a stray found in Georgia, heartworm positive, missing large patches of fur, about 20 lbs underweight. He's now in perfect health and shows me everyday how happy he is to be here. Even came house trained.

I don't know who's luckier, me or him.

As repulsive as this is to me, I know several seniors with mobility issues who have trained their small dogs to use the shower as a potty place. Easy to clean up, I guess. Whatever works for ya.