Pros and Cons of Van-Life out West

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I checked in August two years ago, the only place in the contiguous US that was consistently under 80F was the North Shore of Lake Superior, and you had to be north of Two Harbors.
The west coast and higher mountains are all cooler than that. And in the mountains it's dry and the temperature drops a lot at night.

iu

Last year in Socal it was the hotter side of brutal for months. One of the longest hottest streaks in a number of years.

I guess I was spoiled in Arizona. Left end of February to try Texas. That about ran me broke. Haha. And just couldn’t get away from people... lots of people!
A little expensive food and fuel wise, the southwest is the better temperature wise.

I guess I was spoiled in Arizona. Left end of February to try Texas. That about ran me broke. Haha. And just couldn’t get away from people... lots of people!
A little expensive food and fuel wise, the southwest is the better temperature wise.
Especially this year. It didn't hit 90 until last week. That's my sign to move North and didn't have to move very far to get back into the 60 to 80 degree range. Now I'm waiting for the area around Great Basin National park to warm up so I can go visit that before I have to drive to Oregon for my summer job.

I live in the heart of Appalachia now but have traveled quite a lot and have relatives from Texas to Colorado. The west is quite different than the east by and large.

In the bottom link below there are a couple of items that may help you understand better. (here are two)

Satellite view of USA after dark.

This youtube video will show the movement of 70 degree Fahrenheit
weather from January 1 until December 30. Bob Well's pointed out that he could move from Quartzsite, AZ (70 degrees in winter in AZ) to a town 200 miles north in Utah (? don't remember the name of it) where it was around 70 degrees in the summer. It was mostly an uphill drive to Utah...but the return trip was downhill.

movement of 70 degree weather thru the year

If you do wind up in the west, you should make some friends who can teach you about the climate and perils of it. The seasons are more distinct. (again depending on where you are) You may want to find a discussion board that regards easterners who have relocated to the west and what they have learned. Something like Facebook groups. Being there to visit in the summer is a lot different than living there year around.

It is “spring breakup” in the high elevations. The snow is melting. Meaning mud everywhere on the forest service dirt roads and a high probability of getting stuck in the mud. There was a LOT of snow in Northern Arizona this year. Best to elay your migration time by at least two weeks compared to the last couple of drier years. Even more so in California Sierras where there were huge snow falls compared to normal.

It is “spring breakup” in the high elevations. The snow is melting. Meaning mud everywhere on the forest service dirt roads and a high probability of getting stuck in the mud. There was a LOT of snow in Northern Arizona this year. Best to elay your migration time by at least two weeks compared to the last couple of drier years. Even more so in California Sierras where there were huge snow falls compared to normal.
You may want to avoid down-slope areas from most of the snow-capped ranges for a bit. The meltwater is supposed to be off the charts this year. I don't recommend camping out in the Central Valley of California either since they are predicting the massive rains and snowmelt will restore a massive lake that has been dry since the early 1900's in the area...

https://www.salon.com/2023/04/18/th...-flooding-californias-central-valley_partner/

You may want to avoid down-slope areas from most of the snow-capped ranges for a bit. The meltwater is supposed to be off the charts this year. I don't recommend camping out in the Central Valley of California either since they are predicting the massive rains and snowmelt will restore a massive lake that has been dry since the early 1900's in the area...

https://www.salon.com/2023/04/18/th...-flooding-californias-central-valley_partner/
Tulare is already refilling due to the rains earlier. The snowmelt will just continue flooding the farmer who redirected all the water and drowned out his neighbors. Nice company out there. Not sure why anyone thought it was a good idea to drain the largest lake west of the Mississippi and then live there. Oh yeah. Greed.

The seasons are more distinct. (again depending on where you are) You may want to find a discussion board that regards easterners who have relocated to the west and what they have learned. Something like Facebook groups. Being there to visit in the summer is a lot different than living there year around.
The SW climate is way better than any place in the east... IMO. I grew up in southern IL, but I've been all over. No contest.

If you live in one spot all year, southern AZ, NM, and TX in 4-7k ft elevation range is the mildest, and also has the sunniest winters in the country. If you nomad then the desert around Yuma in winter, and further north in the mountains in summer is pretty ideal.

I live in the heart of Appalachia now but have traveled quite a lot and have relatives from Texas to Colorado. The west is quite different than the east by and large.

In the bottom link below there are a couple of items that may help you understand better. (here are two)

Satellite view of USA after dark.

This youtube video will show the movement of 70 degree Fahrenheit
weather from January 1 until December 30. Bob Well's pointed out that he could move from Quartzsite, AZ (70 degrees in winter in AZ) to a town 200 miles north in Utah (? don't remember the name of it) where it was around 70 degrees in the summer. It was mostly an uphill drive to Utah...but the return trip was downhill.

movement of 70 degree weather thru the year

If you do wind up in the west, you should make some friends who can teach you about the climate and perils of it. The seasons are more distinct. (again depending on where you are) You may want to find a discussion board that regards easterners who have relocated to the west and what they have learned. Something like Facebook groups. Being there to visit in the summer is a lot different than living there year around.
That’s a great picture showing why we in the east struggle with boondocking/camping safely. There’s just not the places to go as compared with out west (of the Mississippi).

The west of the USA has by far more BLM areas for Nomads to Boondock on. BLM has an official site with Maps and other information to assist RV people.

Here are a few sites that may help with western locations as well as some in the east.

BLM Maps State by State

BLM website home page

75 Favorite US Boondocking Locations (by State)

BLM Maps - Where to Find Them

Beyond the BLM there are other private sources for boondocking.

24 Free Ohio Boondocking Camping Areas & Maps

This link also includes links to the north eastern tier of states:

Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin

That’s a great picture showing why we in the east struggle with boondocking/camping safely. There’s just not the places to go as compared with out west (of the Mississippi).
Remember why all those lights are where they are: water. Recently I read an article about it. People (and companies) settled where they had access to water.

That's quite right Carla. Water is a paramount need for numerous reasons. But for the satellite view with all the lights this graph may help explain why business, industry, and people in general are drawn to water ways.

I've known so many guys from my area who were drawn to the western states to drive Tractor-Trailers. It is a great place for that industry.

Green Barge Efficiency.jpg

That's quite right Carla. Water is a paramount need for numerous reasons. But for the satellite view with all the lights this graph may help explain why business, industry, and people in general are drawn to water ways.

I've known so many guys from my area who were drawn to the western states to drive Tractor-Trailers. It is a great place for that industry.
I've seen that graphic before. And, I've seen the increase in barge traffic on the Mississippi (grew up on the river). Not happy about all the barges.

People need to stop shopping so much.

For what it's worth to anyone here is a map of America's major rivers.
Some of these western rivers don't have much development along their shores.

US-Major-Rivers-Map.jpg

As for all the shopping, those barges are beginning to bring the same containers onto the rivers that the container ships bring across the oceans now. Barges, Trains, or Trucks, it's all about multi-modal logistics.

Container Tow Boat.jpg

You can't ship on mountain rivers... only big fat, flat slow moving rivers.

You can't ship on mountain rivers... only big fat, flat slow moving rivers.
Plus there is the small matter of dams on all those western rivers. I think Hydro power is a good thing - although not without a few detrimental side effects.

For what it's worth to anyone here is a map of America's major rivers.

<snip>

As for all the shopping, those barges are beginning to bring the same containers onto the rivers that the container ships bring across the oceans now. Barges, Trains, or Trucks, it's all about multi-modal logistics.
eDJ, Even landlocked cities built intermodal hubs. Eg. Effingham, IL Anywhere where air, rail, highways and/or ports intersect.

Check out this port project involving shipping containers by barge for the Mississippi: https://www.ksla.com/2022/12/13/gov...illion-container-terminal-project-st-bernard/

What an eyesore:(