Propane and Propane Accessories (Flame King)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx2sturgis

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies to Hank Hill...but you know...I just could not resist...

I recently bought a Flame King refillable propane bottle kit, which comes with a stand, a refill fitting, and one empty green bottle.

I also bought a 4 pack of bottles so I have a total of five. 

Like many lifelong campers, I have a large variety of propane powered lanterns, torches, stoves, heaters, etc, and of course, using the throw-aways is expensive, a bit of a pain, and yes, I tried the refill adapters but I had limited success going that route.

So I thought to myself, Self, what the heck, let's try these FlameKing refillable bottles...these are legally refillable DOT certified refillable bottles. What is a bit confusing is that...supposedly you must be licensed to refill them...which makes little sense because you can buy these with no proof of that.

So far, so good...although I did not wear gloves when refilling and DID accidently shoot some really cold propane on one of my fingers...OUCH! ...luckily it was a very short burst....from now on I will be wearing gloves and safety glasses....which I was supposed to be doing anyway.

Updates will follow as this is not really a 'review'...more of a 'hey, this is kind of a fun experiment'...and if anyone else has a FlameKing kit...feel free to add to the thread...

KIMG3659.JPGKIMG3667.JPG

KIMG3665.JPGKIMG3666.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG3659.JPG
    KIMG3659.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 76
  • KIMG3666.JPG
    KIMG3666.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 71
  • KIMG3665.JPG
    KIMG3665.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 72
  • KIMG3667.JPG
    KIMG3667.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 71
Well. I have to get over my skeert and fill some of mine. I'm going through those expensive 1 lb canisters way too fast.
Tomorrow. I'll try tomorrow...

helpful hint,

when refilling the standard 1 pound cylinders put them in the refrigerator or freezer overnight before refilling.
then take them out and refill immediately.
you will get much more propane in them.

highdesertranger

Another helpful hints: Fill 1 lb bottle with as much as it'll take then use a piece of heavy wire bent in an L shape to release some pressure by depressing the schrader valve for a second or two, outside away from any ignition source. Then you can fill it to the full 1 lb. It wastes a little propane but is quicker and easier than using a freezer.

Over several seasons I emptied and refilled a lot of the 'disposables'...using the freezer method and other hints and tricks...even tried a 'double fill' by freezing one when filled, for two fills....hint: Dont Do That. The metal bottle will bulge outward as the fill level will go way past 80% liquid fill and the seam will look like it could burst...luckily mine did not.

The other problem with re-using the disposables is the little schrader valve gets debris in it or the seat slowly degrades, or whatever...and some of them end up with a slow leak...and the bottles rust...and yada yada yada....eventually you DO end up tossing them in the trash and now they are in the waste stream and it's a problem.

Not saying all of this wont work for someone else...but I wanted to try the refillable versions...of course, time will tell how long they last and...you know...dont leak!

The FlameKing bottles are actually welded around the middle like a 20# tank, not pressfit then tackwelded (I beleive) like the disposables. They also do not have a schrader pressure valve...the pressure release valve appears to be integrated into the main screw-on service valve. And of course the FlameKing bottles do not have to be frozen or chilled.

Plus the FlameKing has a vapor release valve that works as you fill the bottle by turning a hex screw with an allen wrench...which seems to work well. When the liquid propane shoots out, you close the valve. Same way the pros do it when you get your larger tanks filled.

Speaking of that.....I have looked in to getting a 'wet leg' kit and fill adapter and hose for my 500 gallon propane tank...but that gets kinda spendy!

So for now I'll stick with the refillable one pounders....

all of what you said about the disposable is true. that's why I am curious about how the Flame King works out for you. highdesertranger

I DID IT! And didnt blow anything up.

Only filled one, cause bravery is exhausting. Recharging with a cup of tea now.

I would be more worried about getting a freezer burn from the escaping gas.

I have a dumb question. What is the difference between using on of the heating units pictured above to heat your van or simply using the stove to heat it? I was told to avoid them inside is a CO2 hazard.

Are you referring to the round-shaped catalytic heater?

Well it turns out that they are so much safer than heating with an open flame that they killed some people (who did not adhere to the warnings) and had to be removed from the market...mostly. 

Mine works great and somehow, I'm still alive to tell about it.

You can still find them used or NOS on ebay...they used to be fairly cheap, but now I see them going for over $150. Ridiculous.

any unvented heater has the potential to be deadly. key word potential. highdesertranger

Cars, airplanes, skateboards, bicycles, ladders, prescription drugs, gas or diesel powered generators, woodstoves, alcohol, chainsaws, electricity, and many other things have the 'potential' to kill you....even plain old water can kill you.

Misuse, abuse, or overuse can always get you in trouble....no matter what it is.

But I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or another to use propane or NOT use propane...for any and all uses. 

I use it and wanted to find a way around the problems with the damn throw-away bottles....and maybe I have.

We shall see!

Tony\ said:
I have a dumb question.  What is the difference between using on of the heating units pictured above to heat your van or simply using the stove to heat it?  I was told to avoid them inside is a CO2 hazard.

I remember trying to use a catalytic heater fueled with kerosene in a van many years ago. It was very stinky and dangerous. I've used one in an old cabin also and that worked OK. I guess because of more air available in a larger space or it was just a better heater.

Anyway, I knew they were different from an open flame but wasn't sure how.

From wiki:

A catalytic heater is a flameless heater which relies on catalyzed chemical reactions to break down molecules and produce califaction (heat). When the catalyst, natural gas, and oxygen combine together they ignite at a low enough temperatures that a flame is not needed. This process keeps repeating itself until either oxygen or the fuel source is taken out of the equation.

So they are probably more efficient than an open flame.

BTW, the real hazard with burning fuels in an enclosed space is from CO (carbon monoxide) not CO2 (carbon dioxide)....but either way, the risks are manageable, just like every other risk we undertake when we get on a motorcycle, board an airplane, or fire up a chainsaw. You have to have someone involved who knows what they are doing. 

Yes, bad stuff can certainly happen. A jet could crash into your rig or the covid might kill us all. You just never know...

But in the meantime I wanted to reduce the risk of refilling the disposable 1# propane bottles and try something new....hopefully a bit safer and more sustainable.

The FlameKing bottles DO seem to be well made...so there is that.

My thing is I don't like the idea of having a bunch of little bottles to have to store. I know they can be refilled, but if I'm going to carry a 20 lb bottle, I might as well just buy a hose and use it. I can by a mounting bracket and secure it somewhere and be a lot safer.

Yep...makes perfect sense in your situation with one or two appliances to fuel...I have several I like to use and some of them need to be hand carried....such as a torch or lantern.

Some items like the portable catalytic heater or the little one-burner stove I use as backup wont work well with a hose to a larger tank, because it needs the small 1#bottle screwed on to provide the 'leg' it stands on.

The kit is certainly not for everyone nor every situation.

I agree with Texas. I also use hoses for the majority of my propane appliances but for a few things in a few situations the 1 pound cylinders are a much better fit. so I use both. highdesertranger

I filled my other three Flame King canisters today. The little plastic thing you have to line up with the spot for it in the cannister is a pain. I got it wrong twice, and it the fill thing leaked gas. Felt like it was screwed on good, but the plastic thing didn't move with the canister. Maybe I'll get better at it with practice.
Still haven't blown anything up.