Promaster city or Transit Connect

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wassup

Reaction score
The Transit Connect is here at the dealers now. The Promaster City is still weeks away from arriving. I believe the Transit's roof is 2 inches lower maybe. Is that too low ? Would a 5'9" 135 lb guy be able to sit upright in this Transit van? My main concern is having enough head room. Does anybody here have live in a transit connect? I would like to hear your thoughts on this!
PS I could just wait, but I've been waiting. the Promaster City is my first choice.
Thanks

Here are some specs in a comparo, and a page listing known issues for both. The models may be different since I looked, but the PMC space advantage was mainly width (+6") and the TC had +1" of ground clearance. Other than that I'd say it's personal preference.

The TC is much more popular (and has been sold for years longer), which may mean greater mechanic familiarity and more aftermarket support.

Here are some specs in a comparo, and a page listing known issues for both.
Your wiki is a real GOLD MINE for relevant information. I spend literally HOURS reading it, and I am not done yet. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Every beginner would be well advised to visit it and spend some time reading. It is much more consistent and effective reading than trying to make sense from forum posts, with opposing opinions, distractions, "thank you" posts (instead of simple "like", which does not take space) and everything else.

Link to it should be first FAQ to most questions, I guess I should write you a PM with suggestions to avoid hijacking this thread :)

The Promaster is of much lower build quality.
In wikipedia, they have a tag "citations needed", because without the evidence, it is just an opinion. I am not saying I disagree (I don't have first-hand experience to form opinion), but I am curious if you have some numbers/links to support your opinion.

I've done mechanical work on them. Yes, it's my opinion from inside the trenches. They are a re-designed Fiat and ramshackled with some drivetrain components from Mexico. Only available with one petrol engine and front wheel drive. I'm sure one can google reliability issues and many will come up.

The previous generation of Transit Connect was better. You could get a tall version, that while not 6 foot tall, was more viable as a camper.
The newer Transit Connect is more modern looking, but is a bit less in usable space.
I wanted to go that direction and have a super gas friendly mini camper, but the internal space for a bed and gear for a 6 foot guy made it too difficult.
Also, car prices are insane right now. Ended up going over my budget and getting a used Transit (full sized) medium roof short wheel base.
As far as the Promaster. I think they look cooler, but I've read a lot of negative stories about them.
As much as I get mad at Ford for various nonsense like the 150k AT fluid that really lasts only 50k, at least I've a proven solid 3.7L V6 and not some Fiat joke of a motor.

...and not some Fiat joke of a motor.

While I'm a bit more confident in the Ford's reliability, the RAM Promaster City in N. America doesn't use a "Fiat motor". The 2.4L Tigershark engine and the 948TE 9-speed automatic transmission are used instead. The engine is also found in other products sold in the U.S. like the Jeep Renegade, Compass, and Cherokee, while the transmission is a German design built in South Carolina and used in many sorts of vehicles.

Yes, Ford also kinda makes terrible products too. But dhuff is correct, the engines used in the Promasters are not made in Europe, it's made in Mexico. That engine isn't the problem. Heck, they do pretty good, as long as nothing goes wrong, then it's lots of $$$$$. Pretty complicated engines. I've built engines before and wouldn't go wrench on a Tigershark or Pentastar. Find a certified tech to work on those.

Mercedes seems to be the cream of the crop. But again, $$$. Toyota needs to get in the van market and bring in a reliable, affordable van.

Last edited:
Both of those are kinda tall so does that mean they have standing headroom? If you only have sitting headroom then for the sake of a quality and reliability, I would without question get a Toyota Sienna instead.

I converted my 06 Sienna into a super cool mini camper with a highly functional and comfortable and very beautiful interior. I’ve been stealth camping / living in it full time for the last 7.5 months.

Toyota needs to get in the van market and bring in a reliable, affordable van.
Toyota's very popular commercial van is the Hiace. It's sold all over the world, but not here... due to the impossibility of meeting US crash regulations with a forward-cab design.

toyota-hiace-3.jpg

Mercedes seems to be the cream of the crop.
Mercedes diesels with the emission controls have a lot of issues when they get a few miles on them. Or are you referring to the Metris?

The current PMC and TC (the minicargo vans in question) are each about 50" tall inside. I suppose children or Little Persons can stand in them.
Thanks. I measured my 06 Sienna and with 1/4” thick vinyl plank flooring I have about 48.5” at the highest point just behind the front seats. I’m 5’-11” and made the couch that unfolds into a bed so I have sitting headroom and lots of storage underneath. I want to get a full size tall van next. Since Toyota doesn’t make one for the US I’ll be getting a Transit or Promaster.

The Transit Connect is here at the dealers now. The Promaster City is still weeks away from arriving. I believe the Transit's roof is 2 inches lower maybe. Is that too low ? Would a 5'9" 135 lb guy be able to sit upright in this Transit van? My main concern is having enough head room. Does anybody here have live in a transit connect? I would like to hear your thoughts on this!
PS I could just wait, but I've been waiting. the Promaster City is my first choice.
Thanks
I chose the promaster city after deciding to buy a newer van and finding that the connects roof was lowered in 2015.
It has been a good vehicle in the mountains. The engine has enough power and the transmission works nice. It has 1800
lb. load capacity so my camping additions are light compared to a work vehicle. The cab is roomy with a high ceiling.
Roof heigth was the only reason i chose it over the Transit connect.

Toyota's very popular commercial van is the Hiace. It's sold all over the world, but not here... due to the impossibility of meeting US crash regulations with a forward-cab design.

toyota-hiace-3.jpg
Yea, I would love to have a Hiace! But no, can't get the good stuff here in the USA...
Mercedes diesels with the emission controls have a lot of issues when they get a few miles on them. Or are you referring to the Metris?
I was mostly talking build and componant quality. But you're right, replacement of the Mercedes exhaust will run you several thousand dollars!!! I'll stick with my old junker before I get any of these things.

I mentioned earlier that the Hiace couldn't pass US crash tests because of the cab-forward design, but the latest model I showed in the photo at least has the front wheels in front of the seats rather than right under them as on the early models. It looks like they should be able to make the new model crash viable. It also comes with a 3.5l gas V6 which is used in other US cars and makes good power, vs the wee diesels found in most foreign models. The redesign was in 2019 though, and since we haven't seen it yet, I doubt we will anytime soon.

I traveled new zealand in 2015 in a rented Hiace that had a tiny kitchen, toilet and even shower. it was glorious, Exactly the right size, not overbuilt, and even got acceptable gas mileage. Been missing it ever since. ... i've come to the conclusion that I must just be weird, because if there were such a demand for all these "right sized" vehicles as I feel / imagine, wouldn't there be some greedy corporation taking advantage of supplying it? :(