Prolonged idling with 4cyl

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanvanvanvan123

Reaction score
Probably a few hours a day idling with AC on. The heat is not even that bad, yet I like to use AC.

I’m concerned . Any suggestions for improving the situation !

I have an opinion, strictly a guess on my part that cars are designed to run most efficiently at a midrange revolutions per minute or above. Air cooled VW engines years ago were used as stationary engines to run equipment. They ran for years at 2,800 to 3,000 rpm with regular maintenance under a set load. Idle speed is set as low as possible as there is little or no load and is to be avoided as it is very inefficient and produces a lot of excessive wear. Maybe you would be better off using a generator and window AC, going into a building with AC or driving making money with the AC on to help pay for your additional vehicle maintenance costs. Newer cars and trucks are shutting off and restarting rather than idling so apparently manufacturers are of the same opinion?

Extended idling is not recomended. But sometimes it is necessary. I've done it myself a few times and I dont like to, but nothing terrible happened.

THE primary concern is of course, vehicle exhaust getting back into the cabin, make sure the rear of the vehicle is 'downwind' so the fumes wont circle around and be returned into the intake vents. You should keep one or two windows slightly open for fresh air. And you should NEVER try to sleep with the engine running.

Next is cooling ability and longevity of the engine. You will need to monitor the temperature gauge if there is one and its not a bad idea to open the hood a couple of inches onto its safety latch to help hot air escape from under the hood.

Extended idling is considered 'severe duty' and like other vehicles that are subject to extended idling, you will need to change the engine oil more often, according to the manufacturer 'severe duty' schedule.

Your vehicle may have an electric radiator fan, if so, make sure it is cycling on and off as needed. If it is a normal mechanical fan mounted on the water pump (or another pulley) just make sure it is moving at least some air when the top of the radiator feels hot. Again, watch that temp gauge!