Price of RV is Crazy!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Reaction score
In Dec 0f 2019 I bought a used 2012 Coachman Freelander 21QB on a Chevy Chassis, it had 17,990 on it and I gave $38,000 for it (the dealer even installed 6 brand new tires on it free of charge probably cost at least $1500 for all 6). Last week I was checking prices and I found a 2014 Freelander 21QB just like mine and it had over 93,000 miles on it and they were asking g $62,000.

This one is 2 years newer, has 5 times the miles on that mine had and they are asking almost twice what I gave for mine.

This prices are CRAZY!!!

A lot of folks bought an RV at the start of the pandemic because they still wanted vacations, but didn’t trust hotels being safe. That pushed the purchase price of a new rig up way high. The class-B that I bought was about $75K new, and the current MSRP for the same rig is close to $130K.

I’m hearing talk that a lot of the people who bought RVs are deciding to sell them, but of course they bought at top dollar and are now trying to recoup their expense so they can pay off the finance loan. SURPRISE - supply/demand will determine the resell cost.

The so called price is nothing but a requested price. The real resell cost will be determined by how much a buyer is willing to pay.

It's why I'm waiting to buy a little travel trailer. Something like this:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2022-Braxton+Creek-Free+Solo+Plus+FAM-5018406624
They're 3K over what they used to be so I'm waiting for a price drop either new or lightly used. I want it with the Boondocker package which includes a heavy suspension and axle and fenders, a solar prep package, etc. This one is a bit of a price drop but I'm gonna wait. Something tells me that I'll be able to do better soon.

Cheers!

Seems to me that actual selling prices are down at least a little. Many are still asked peak market prices but they seem to be sitting where not long ago they would have sold fast.

I'm not saying RV prices are low but they have seemed to have come down off their peaks.

IMO.

I looked at a couple of Winnebago Travatos the other day and prices are still too high. Give it another year or so and all kinds of deals will be had.

Just better like Dodge because there will be a ton of those.

I bought a used 2016 A frame camper in 2019 for $9,000. I only used it a couple of times and wanted to buy a van to convert so I began trying to sell it. The camper dealership that sold it to me was running a special and was buying used campers to restock their inventory last year. I sold it back to them for $11,000. The posted it at $14,000 and it was sold within 30 days. It's crazy out there right now.

I found a 1988 27-foot Mallard class C a year and a half ago, one owner, from Ohio, with 53K and new tires for $4000; everything worked. This one has aluminum siding and a one-piece aluminum roof; no fiberglass. It needed some love and updates, and I've added 400ah at 24VDC of LiFePO4, 2000-watts of solar panels, and a Giandel 4000-watt PSE inverter. That's 10Kw worth of power: a new 15k BTU Roof A/C and a 6K BTU window unit for boondocking. I replaced the fridge with a new apt sized ten cu ft and many other improvements. Last week, I was at the storage lot, and a guy offered me $25k cash. I said no, I'm a retired old fart, and it's my home on wheels, and I'm fixing to be back on the road as soon as I finish my new rear bumper/back porch; one never has enough room for their "stuff." I also have a 2000 Jeep GC 4.0 4x4 as a toad. There is no way I could replace this rig, considering what I paid for it to begin with and today's prices driven by inflation and shortages. That money one might make won't be worth the paper it's printed on if we have an SHTF event, and there are already a few turds hitting the fan blades if one listens. It's my cat and me. I carry 100 gals of H2O, 120 gals of gas, two 30 gal saddle tanks, and two 30 pound bottles of propane. My generator and truck are duel fuel. I bought a bunch of freeze-dried and MRE-style meals back when they were much cheaper, along with cat food and treats, so he and I have food for at least 6-months, longer if we're not pigs about it.

I found a 1988 27-foot Mallard class C a year and a half ago, one owner, from Ohio, with 53K and new tires for $4000; everything worked. This one has aluminum siding and a one-piece aluminum roof; no fiberglass. It needed some love and updates, and I've added 400ah at 24VDC of LiFePO4, 2000-watts of solar panels, and a Giandel 4000-watt PSE inverter. That's 10Kw worth of power: a new 15k BTU Roof A/C and a 6K BTU window unit for boondocking. I replaced the fridge with a new apt sized ten cu ft and many other improvements. Last week, I was at the storage lot, and a guy offered me $25k cash. I said no, I'm a retired old fart, and it's my home on wheels, and I'm fixing to be back on the road as soon as I finish my new rear bumper/back porch; one never has enough room for their "stuff." I also have a 2000 Jeep GC 4.0 4x4 as a toad. There is no way I could replace this rig, considering what I paid for it to begin with and today's prices driven by inflation and shortages. That money one might make won't be worth the paper it's printed on if we have an SHTF event, and there are already a few turds hitting the fan blades if one listens. It's my cat and me. I carry 100 gals of H2O, 120 gals of gas, two 30 gal saddle tanks, and two 30 pound bottles of propane. My generator and truck are duel fuel. I bought a bunch of freeze-dried and MRE-style meals back when they were much cheaper, along with cat food and treats, so he and I have food for at least 6-months, longer if we're not pigs about it.
That's a good story. Today I was in the parking lot at Home Depot on my way in. I drive a 2017 GMC Savana cargo van with hightop. I had to drive to Long Beach to have it installed about three years ago. A man approached and was interested in my van. He knew of Bob Wells (which surprised me for some reason) and I was happy to chat with him. He asked if I wanted to sell my van. I said no. My van today is worth about $10,000 more than when I purchased it. The 24" bubbletop hightop alone has doubled in cost. I love my van. I paid cash for it and am enjoying the heck out of it.

They say that the cure for high prices is: High prices... I'm still waiting for the "cure" to kick in...

:rolleyes:
Please don't hold your breath; I still see people idling away $5 a gallon of gas in the drive-thrus at fast food joints. When you see rich fat lazy people pinching pennies, the cure's on the way. :cool: