Power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzypie58

Reaction score
OK. I am SUCH a newbie.My (really old) class B has a generator (it MAY not work), I want solar. I want reliable batteries and a converter that integrates w/ my system. SOS. 
Ideas? I'm thinking a power station and portable solar panels, but how do I integrate the new and the old? Is that a 'thing?

You start over, you take out your old converter and replace it with one that can charge LION batteries. Put the solar on the roof. Add more 12v sockets and USB outlets into your RV. Get a MPPT controller that can handle as much solar as you can fit onto your roof. Of course you will be needing wiring, fuses and such.

You can get reliable Solar Panels for cheap if you go to the Phoenix AZ area and buy from San Tan solar. During the winter months there are fellow Full time RV dwellers who design and install solar systems in the southern Arizona area. Some of them move further north in the state in the summer. But of course if you want to you can learn how to install it it yourself with advice from members of this forum. There are lots of threads on the forum regarding it.