Portable Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

hugemoth

Reaction score
Not all Chinese generators are the same. I bought a Lifan generator after having very good service from a Lifan motorcycle but the generator was horrible. Then I tried a Wen 1250 watt which has been trouble free for several years. Also bought a Wen 3800 watt that has also been trouble free. Westinghouse has pretty good reviews so I wouldn't hesitate on trying one.

peteg59

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone running sensitive electronic equipment, (PC, laptop, tablet, phone, TV, etc.), on a non-inverter generator is looking at shorter life of their expensive equipment/gear.

Pure sine-wave clean electrical power is crucial in keeping one's electronic stuff happily running...

gone2day

Reaction score
^Powering those items is what a battery setup is for. The only thing I would need an inverter gen. for is to run a microwave.

Bunpoh

Reaction score
I am in a class A with a dodgy Onan 4000 built in Genset, Last March I got a

My long term plan includes deleting the built in and going with all solar, but with a back up external generator. As I looked for a model to pair with my RV I concluded my best bet would be to find one with a 30Amp socket. My RV has a built in Transfer Switch with a 30 ft beast of a cable attached, for use when hooked up to shore power, and I just use that to run the above generator out 30' away from the rig and plug into the 30amp socket.

Because I suck a lot of power, the Sperus ( who the hell came up with that name!?!? lol) has been run 4-8 hours a day for months. I change the oil frequently. I have encountered no issues with it yet, and it is quiet enough, certainly quieter than the built it. Gas consumption is reasonable when it is idling along and of course sucks quite a bit more when cranked up to run the microwave (or the occasional AC use).

All of these "Chinese gensets" share similar parts with various shells. I think you can find a couple of similar units with slightly different dressing. Here is a link to a copy of what I bought... I **know** it is not a Honda, but when you don't have the $1000-1200 they cost, you buy the bargain brand and hope.... so far, I have done well especially considering that what I bought isn't really designed to be run daily.

Good luck...
RvNaut - I believe you and I have pretty much the same rig. What size AC do you have in yours? Mine came with a spankin' new 15k BTU unit. And a brand new 100 watt solar panel, lol!

Our broken gen is an old Generac, it was horrible anyways. This thread is super helpful. Anyone reliably running a 15k BTU AC on a portable, what do you have?

bullfrog

Reaction score
I believe our 2019 Forest River Grey Wolf 25’ trailer came with a 15,000 btu AC. We have run it by its self with a 3500 watt Predator gasoline generator at 4,000’ elevation with no problems for a few hours. Since we are there usually in cooler temps it has powered everything else including the microwave, toaster and heater all at once with no problems as well. The generator itself has had the starter battery go bad after a year or so and the mice ate the pull cord. General maintenance has been done, oil changes including cleaning the spark arrestor and changing the spark plug. No real complaints but on my smaller trailer with a 5,000 btu AC at 4,500’ elevation I decided to go with propane and bought a 2500 Champion Dual Fuel generator even though it cost more than I paid for the Predator.

Last edited:

NctryBen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two of our fire apparatus had Onan Generators. The one on the engine/pumper has to be run frequently or it has issues. The other older one will start up after a year of non use. They are good generators.
I have a big old noisy generator... if I’m going to use it I make sure I’m where I won’t bother anyone. Mainly for power tools...

RvNaut

Reaction score
RvNaut - I believe you and I have pretty much the same rig. What size AC do you have in yours? Mine came with a spankin' new 15k BTU unit. And a brand new 100 watt solar panel, lol!

Our broken gen is an old Generac, it was horrible anyways. This thread is super helpful. Anyone reliably running a 15k BTU AC on a portable, what do you have?
....as a matter of fact.... I am running my roof AC as I type on my external 3200i (2800/20amp really).... to start it up I have to be sure the load is as low as possible... it doesn't like it, but it starts..... My Onan is running well the last few days.... huh... so I will switch to that here soon enough... if I don't catch when the compressor cysles off, when it kicks back in it trips the external gen because I have the computer and other stuff running.... once started the roof AC tales 12-16 amps

What do you have for a rig?

Bunpoh

Reaction score
....as a matter of fact.... I am running my roof AC as I type on my external 3200i (2800/20amp really).... to start it up I have to be sure the load is as low as possible... it doesn't like it, but it starts..... My Onan is running well the last few days.... huh... so I will switch to that here soon enough... if I don't catch when the compressor cysles off, when it kicks back in it trips the external gen because I have the computer and other stuff running.... once started the roof AC tales 12-16 amps

What do you have for a rig?
1995 2430 Safari Trek Pathmaker TurboDiesel with the crappy 6.5 GMC Detroit diesel engine. Underpowered. But otherwise a nice rig! Gotta love that EMB bed!

What size is your AC?

gone2day

Reaction score
Assuming one's P/V setup is adequate, when the sun doesn't shine enough to produce power for the battery(ies) days in a row, a genny or "house current" is nice for reliable backup...
I started to reply that an inverter genny isn't necessary to recharge a battery bank but then I realized that the new 'smart' chargers are probably more sensitive to dirty AC than the old type batt chargers.