PLEASE*Help with my 2002 ford explorer conversion*PLEASE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reality72

Reaction score
I live in Northern California in the Eastbay area. I've done as much as I could with the help of a friend, however my friend is returning to work and is no longer available. I really need help building my bed platform and other things (will discuss details with serious helper). I want you to know that I'm a woman of color, if that sort of thing is important to you.
I'm unemployed right now, but I can help with labor, and buy you groceries. I'm open for other barter inquiries if they are legal. If soliciting help in this capacity is against the groups rules, please pardon me.

N.

search "no build build" on Well's youtube channel. Also look at a recliner as bed option. That's what I'm planning

If you want to come to Pahrump Nv, I can do a basic build for you at no labor cost. If you were headed for Southern Arizona, I would not be far out of your way, but otherwise the long drive may not be worth it. A piece of plywood sitting on milk crates may do you for now. just shim up the crates on the uneven floor and add a camping pad or two.
I retired as a Transport refrigeration mechanic but have lots of construction skills.
I have participated in several charity van builds. For many years I lived on boats and RV's. Today I am a part time traveler.
I can get you set up with free groceries as well. I volunteer at our Local Salvation Army food bank, and can get you set up with an account that will get you plenty of free food. There may also be one in your area. It is a wonderful organization. I started volunteering there when I seen how well they treated a nomad that I took there for assistance.
As far as race goes, I don't have white friends or black friends. I just have friends and they happen to be of different races. We see no difference between a white dog, and a brown dog. We only see a difference between a friendly dog, and a mean one. Same should be with humans.

I really need help building my bed platform and other things.
Seems to me you are going about things the hard way. Why not make it easy on yourself? You don't need anyone to help you because done right and simple, you can quickly do it all yourself, probably in one day.

Watch this video where the guy shows how he did it all in one morning without even a single power tool. (Lowes and other lumber dealers will even cut your wood for you at no extra charge.) At the end, he had a really nice-looking -- and comfortable -- van all set up, ready to hit the road.

I live in Northern California in the Eastbay area. I've done as much as I could with the help of a friend, however my friend is returning to work and is no longer available. I really need help building my bed platform

N.

Keep a lookout on Craigslist free section for Twin size Captain's/Storage beds.

If it's free and it fits it will solve the sleeping problem and give you extra storage space it will work for now. Then just get the least expensive but most comfortable mattress you can afford.

I would suggest reinforcing the inside corners with small 90° brackets and a few screws.

Join nextdoor, its a great place to find freebies such as beds, mattress and lumber/building materials. if you were in socal I could help with building and fabing.

Hi! Welcome to the forum and hopefully you can use get some help from the people who stepped up and offered. This site is awesome, a real resource on vanlife, and I've learned to just look past the people I can't deal with. In some cases, I go to their profile and click ignore.

Seems to me you are going about things the hard way. Why not make it easy on yourself? You don't need anyone to help you because done right and simple, you can quickly do it all yourself, probably in one day.

Watch this video where the guy shows how he did it all in one morning without even a single power tool. (Lowes and other lumber dealers will even cut your wood for you at no extra charge.) At the end, he had a really nice-looking -- and comfortable -- van all set up, ready to hit the road.
This might be premature. Without knowing her physical limitations, her vehicle, how she wants her setup to be, and where she plans on being, there's no way of knowing if she can do it herself.

I'm in a small SUV and I plan to be in the city a lot. That video doesn't help me. He has a tall, wide vehicle, he plans to access his storage under the bed from the inside and outside, and he has more than enough room after his bed build for other necessities. People in smaller vehicles have more restrictions and need more customizations to make things fit.

And I tried getting my stuff cut at LOWES and Home Depot. They can cut large wood pieces but not smaller ones. I had to get a friend with woodworking tools to build things for me and cut my smaller wood pieces.

Plus all of that takes time - to learn and plan out - which she might not have.

I want you to know that I'm a woman of color, if that sort of thing is important to you.
N.
I think you will find there is less discrimination of any kind here than most any other place you might visit, but I’m sorry you felt the need to speak to that at all.

Welcome, and good luck in getting your sea legs.

I think you will find there is less discrimination of any kind here than most any other place you might visit, but I’m sorry you felt the need to speak to that at all.

Welcome, and good luck in getting your sea legs.
Yes. Unfortunately, before I figured out how to post my picture, I had to let it be known. I'll spare you all of the craigslist and offerup stories. Have a good day. Thank you.